Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shopping
Hop To Forums   Tacky or Trendy
  "Open Concept" & Granite Countertops- Tacky?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Open Concept" & Granite Countertops- Tacky? Sign In/Join 
Picture of radiolady
posted
Noticed that granite countertops are as common as air in homes now- even in el cheapo flips in Arizona that sell for 89k have the ubiquitous granite topped counters. They never fail to tear out the kitchen walls to create the open concept I AM SO SICK OF HEARING that term! We've managed to raise our children since the beginning of time without "open concept"- and people are going to realize very soon that the noise factor is horrible with no walls to buffet the sound. Cookie cutter homes- all the same- ZERO originality nor uniqueness if they all have the same old countertops.
Why take a 1950s Leave it to Beaver style house with the tiled counters, real wood cupboard doors, and delightfully sturdy & "mod" lighting fixtures and those COOL old builtins to replace everything with new and crappily built stuff? The granite may cost **$, but it's tacky now to me, especially after seeing it so often in the cheapest of homes in the worst areas. Thoughts?

John 1:8

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of variety out there in the old homes, but they often need a bit of mechanical updating with plumbing and wiring (these updates do not show like the pretty stuff, but just as important if not more so), but one can sure get a well built older home if you look enough in the right areas.
And a custom home built with the help of an architect can give you anything you want...for a price.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radiolady:
Noticed that granite countertops are as common as air in homes now- even in el cheapo flips in Arizona that sell for 89k have the ubiquitous granite topped counters. They never fail to tear out the kitchen walls to create the open concept I AM SO SICK OF HEARING that term! We've managed to raise our children since the beginning of time without "open concept"- and people are going to realize very soon that the noise factor is horrible with no walls to buffet the sound. Cookie cutter homes- all the same- ZERO originality nor uniqueness if they all have the same old countertops.
Why take a 1950s Leave it to Beaver style house with the tiled counters, real wood cupboard doors, and delightfully sturdy & "mod" lighting fixtures and those COOL old builtins to replace everything with new and crappily built stuff? The granite may cost **$, but it's tacky now to me, especially after seeing it so often in the cheapest of homes in the worst areas. Thoughts?

Feel better to get that off your chest? Smile

Solution is simple: if you don't want an open plan or granite, don't do it.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
aychihuahua, I grin (because I recall your comment) every time I scroll on by the Threads. Smile

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this day and age free time is the ultimate luxury. Anything that allows a quick and easy clean up solution is not by my estimation a "fad".
Open floor plans are part of a lifestyle that began after WWII, with family entertaining being seen as every Americans right to a breezy lifestyle after the hardship and knuckling under of the depression and the war.
Neither hard surface counters nor open floor plan architecture are going anywhere unless they are replaced by concepts that offer even more ease and a more relaxing home life.
You can hate 'em but you can't k!ll 'em.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can hate 'em but you can't k!ll 'em

Indeed.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You CAN KILL THEM AND ITS being done.. love my soap stone counters and my separate dining room

Posts: 380 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
To each their own!
I for one, happen to really love our great room. We have large window views all around to the mountains. Would hate to be confined to a separate kitchen (in this house) with one or two windows.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
How boring would it be if we all lived the same way and in the same style home. "vive la difference" Open plan was done by FLW even before WWII and cookie cutter tract homes were all the rage in the 50's. Now they have cookie cutter open concept. Whatever sells the best is what they build. I love my open concept home. I still have the plans I had drawn in 1979
before open concept was all the rage.

As far as your Tacky comment, any style home of any cost can be tacky. Tacky is a completely relative term.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
While I don't care for granite (I used to work in a mortuary with granite headstones), the only thing that makes me go, "Huh?" is when they put granite/stone on top of old cabinets that they have simply painted.

The door style seems dated. There are no pull-outs on the lower cabinets, no drawer cabinets below, hinges showing. Etc.

It reminds me of a job half done. BUT, it's their home and thankfully I don't have to live with, or buy, their design decisions.

That's just me.

Posts: 4617 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with you. i am SO TIRED of granite!!! i do like stainless steel, concrete, soapstone, white quartz with sparkles, butcher block, and white marble. --- the granite gets pitted if you don't use polish on it also.... please stop using granite and giant clocks!!!!

i built my farmhouse to look old and it does NOT have the open concept, it does have nice entryways into the kitchen and the nook is in there. there is great flow, but the kitchen dishes can be hidden when we are eating in our dining room.

Posts: 4 | Location: sw missouri, usa | Registered: Aug 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post