Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Welcome Sign In/Join 
Picture of MarketPlace
posted
Welcome to our new board - Tacky or Trendy, the forum where you can share your opinion about products, decorating, gifts and more.

There is often a fine line between tacky or trendy...and that line has an identity of it's own - tracky! Tracky is when something is usually considered tacky but, because it's associated with a trend, it has temporary non-tacky status. But, once that trend is over, it's back to being tacky.

We'll post some of our favorite tacky, trendy and tracky products here and would love to hear your feedback.

Also, feel free to post your own items - you never know - you might even start a trend!

Picture of Traveler
posted Hide Post
Virtually every tacky/trendy/tasteful discussion on these forums has ended in some sensitive soul's feelings being hurt. But if the PTBs (Powers that Be) want to have an entire forum for it, so be it.

My vote would be to bring back the Special Interests board (if anyone is asking).

Checking time - 5:56 PM on 2/13/08 - to see how long this post stays around before the PTBs delete it. Wink

--------------------------------
Chance favors the prepared mind.
-- Louis Pasteur --

Posts: 8404 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Report This Post
Picture of scbeachbaby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Traveler:
Virtually every tacky/trendy/tasteful discussion on these forums has ended in some sensitive soul's feelings being hurt. But if the PTBs (Powers that Be) want to have an entire forum for it, so be it.

My vote would be to bring back the Special Interests board (if anyone is asking).

Checking time - 5:56 PM on 2/13/08 - to see how long this post stays around before the PTBs delete it. Wink

I think it is fun to see different things that people like. I had never seen the purse lamps. They aren't for me, but I think they are cute. I guess they just want to give us something fun to talk about. I don't like 90% of what I see in the magazines, but that doesn't mean we can not talk about it. Just my two cents.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Hi MarketPlace, guess you won the draw on moderating this new forum! Wink

My first sarcastic thot when I saw this forum was "just what we need, another forum"! Roll Eyes

However, there may be merit in it as it will provoke some opinions and hopefully some thought.

I'm not buying into the word "tracky" cause I DO NOT need another silly word to describe something... well, something silly. JMO you understand! Wink

IMO an object/style can be tacky but still trendy, in fact a lot of trends are tacky and hopefully go their way quickly. Other tacky things stick around. Some trendy things also stay around and become styles and sometimes even timeless styles. I'm not sure I can think of a timeless style that is really tacky, altho I expect someone can.

Anyhow it should be fun and hopefully we can all behave and no posts or threads will have to be pulled.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Beauty Loves Beauty
posted Hide Post
Hi Marketplace! Smile

WHAT A FUN FORUM!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

May we start our own topics, and post pictures of tacky / trndy items too?

THANKS Big Grin Razz Eek Smile Big Grin Cool

quote:
Originally posted by MarketPlace:
Welcome to our new board - Tacky or Trendy, the forum where you can share your opinion about products, decorating, gifts and more.

There is often a fine line between tacky or trendy...and that line has an identity of it's own - tracky! Tracky is when something is usually considered tacky but, because it's associated with a trend, it has temporary non-tacky status. But, once that trend is over, it's back to being tacky.

We'll post some of our favorite tacky, trendy and tracky products here and would love to hear your feedback.

Also, feel free to post your own items - you never know - you might even start a trend!

♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥ ~ ~ ♥
~ Faith, Love And Laughter ... Medicine For The Soul ~

Posts: 887 | Location: Gulf Front Paradise, Florida | Registered: Oct 15, 2007Report This Post
Picture of etips
posted Hide Post

Picture of gioni
posted Hide Post
WHY DO YOU THINK THEY WANT TO KNOW WHAT WE FEEL IS TACKY OR TRENDY? I SMELL ANOTHER HGTV SERIES Big Grin

Posts: 1586 | Location: "somewhere in time in ohio" | Registered: Apr 25, 2007Report This Post
Picture of JB jr
posted Hide Post
What an interesting forum. I think is can be a great place to really weed out those dreadful trendy and bold tacky prints and objects. for me we are in a decorating dead zone with little or no real style. It seems like most designers are grasping at straws at old 70 and 80's trends. For me, most affordable shops are selling the same loud fabrics and offer little style for the buck. It's cheaper to throw a bunch of bold colors together then to come up with one true winner.I'm finding that most affordable shops and sites are all clones. Furniture with little detail, cheap finishes and fabrics. Again, less is more. BUT! Style with small details and well built is where it is at. I also have found some popular online shops (C&B, CB2 & West Elm among a few)if they only would have charged a few bucks more for quality, would have some terrific affordable items instead of almost disposable furnishings after a few months. Bad, bad investments unless you want a dorm room for a few months and toss into the landfill :-(

Posts: 2 | Location: Palm Springs & B. Hills, Ca. | Registered: Jul 28, 2008Report This Post