Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shopping
Hop To Forums   Tacky or Trendy
  Large pattern wallpaper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large pattern wallpaper Sign In/Join 
posted
OK - so what do y'all think about the large pattern wallpaper that seems to be so prominently featured in many of the current designs?
Personally, I hate wallpaper on general principles but have to admit I've seen some of the newer ones that aren't horrible if done in a small way.
There was a show (special) on a few weeks ago where the designer papered a huge foyer (complete with sweeping staircase) with a large green and white geometric design. That would have been the first thing to go, for me, but I could see maybe one wall in a room (just not in the green/white).
So - what do y'all think? Tacky or Trendy?

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I like wallpaper if used above a chair rail and wainscotting...usually in a bedroom or dining room. I am not a fan of large patterned paper.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a contemporary look and usually those who like wallpaper go for more the traditional style.
When I bought this house the previous owner had wallpaper in both the kitchen and the master bathroom. Had it taken out and the walls painted before I even moved in.
I'm sort of intrigued with the big stencils I've seen used - have a very long foyer wall that wraps around to form a wall that faces my dining room (kitchen is on the other side) and I want to do something "interesting" with that wall - probably would do the large stencil thing rather than the wallpaper, altho I've been looking at some very cool textured paper from Vahallia.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Wallpaper tends to be very expensive to purchase and hang. Then one is stuck with the job of removal when you get tired of it. Removal is just no fun.

Too many great paint treatments out there and terrific art to hang on walls....so no paper for me.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Doodles, I love the idea of stencils. I like the look if done correctly. I have never had the nerve to try it. Hope you will post pictures when you decide and let us see the finished product.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad, you're correct - and also it's unlikely that when/if you sell your home that the new owners will absolutely love the wallpaper you've so carefully picked out - all they are going to see is "Oh no.....that's gotta come down and how much will it cost?" Paint is easy to fix and even then friends who are agents tell me about unimaginative buyers who will walk into say, a blue room and say "No, hate that color...next!" without realize it's an easy fix.
MaryLee - did you see the bedroom wall in the urban loft Vern Yip did last year? He's not my favorite designer, but I went nuts over that - it was so well done and is exactly what I'm thinking about for my foyer. I'd be doing it myself so need to get into shape to do it - I've messed up myj right arm and shoulder so it will be awhile before my chiropractor gives me the go ahead.

Picture of vixenhouse
posted Hide Post
I have my wallpaper, but what should I expect for an average charge by a paperhanger? thanks.

Posts: 56 | Location: Okla/Vermont | Registered: May 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Use the handy wallpaper installation listed below. Just plug in the ZIP code where your home is located. Then plug in the number of square feet in the room to be wallpapered. You'll get a low and high estimate for labor in your locale. (I did it for my ZIP and it's pretty accurate, based on what I paid a couple of years ago.)

http://www.homewyse.com/servic..._hang_wallpaper.html

Posts: 5166 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vixenhouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 56 | Location: Okla/Vermont | Registered: May 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking into an alternative wallpaper - it's called Easy-Walls. (BTW, this is not an advertisement - I've never tried it so can't vouch for it.) Supposedly, it's both easy on and easy off with no damage to the walls.

It's made by Warner and they claim it's slightly more expensive but ends up cheaper b/c you don't need supplies, etc. They have numerous patterns available. Checked out the sources by punching in my zip online at warnerwalls.com and noticed the main retailer is SW but it's also available in many other w/p retailers in my area.

Besides that, I'm also considering fabric walls (w/liquid starch) and wall decals for my accent wall. Anyone tried either of those methods? I've noticed several of the designers using the decals.

Incidentally, doodles, I love the large-scale contemporary patterns but only for 1 accent wall, max. Also loved Vern's stencil - it was incredible.

Please post a photo after you're able to do one. (Hope you recover soon, BTW.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by astroluvr:
I'm looking into an alternative wallpaper - it's called Easy-Walls. (BTW, this is not an advertisement - I've never tried it so can't vouch for it.) Supposedly, it's both easy on and easy off with no damage to the walls.

It's made by Warner and they claim it's slightly more expensive but ends up cheaper b/c you don't need supplies, etc. They have numerous patterns available. Checked out the sources by punching in my zip online at warnerwalls.com and noticed the main retailer is SW but it's also available in many other w/p retailers in my area.

Besides that, I'm also considering fabric walls (w/liquid starch) and wall decals for my accent wall. Anyone tried either of those methods? I've noticed several of the designers using the decals.

Incidentally, doodles, I love the large-scale contemporary patterns but only for 1 accent wall, max. Also loved Vern's stencil - it was incredible.

Please post a photo after you're able to do one. (Hope you recover soon, BTW.)

Years ago I helped a friend do a room for her little girl. Friend had zero budget so what we did was the starch/fabric on the lower part of the walls, with a wide coordinating ribbon as a divider between that and the upper painted wall. Yes, it was cute and actually lasted for awhile, but I sure wouldn't put it in any room with a rambuctious child who might decide to start peeling. It was a quick, cheap, easy fix that took us a couple of hours to do.

I would have to be convinced on the decals - yes, I've seen them used and in the pictures they look good. It's just not my particular favorite idea to do in a room - I'd rather freehand whatever I wanted on there, which can be more difficult but I think would give a better look in the long run.

If I do that wall I'll post a picture - won't happen anytime soon tho. Thanks for the "feel better" wishes.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Doodles, I am so glad you started this thread. Everyone shares their interesting ideas. Thank you so much. Also hope you feel better soon.

posted Hide Post
I agree, doodles - it definitely wouldn't be a good idea to try fabric on the lower portions of walls in rooms with children.

Like you, I'm skeptical about the decals. Have seen them as low as $12.99, using identical materials. With such a low investment, it's no harm, no foul - provided the dang thing comes off easily, as promised.

I'm not the best free-hander but successfully completed a modified version, using a projector. That was fun.

Looking forward to your photographs, whenever you're able -

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love large patterned papers of all sort, contemporary and also traditional damask patterns. It really all depends on proper placement.

I see a lot of two story foyers here in N.J. and wallpaper is a great way to add visual interest.

It may depend on where you live, but in my area expensive European wallpaper winds up costing the same as hand painted techniques. I also find wallpaper much easier to get rid of than Venetian plaster,and texture faux finishes.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
I love large patterned papers of all sort, contemporary and also traditional damask patterns. It really all depends on proper placement.

I see a lot of two story foyers here in N.J. and wallpaper is a great way to add visual interest.

It may depend on where you live, but in my area expensive European wallpaper winds up costing the same as hand painted techniques. I also find wallpaper much easier to get rid of than Venetian plaster,and texture faux finishes.

Charles, we have a lot of the 2-story foyers here, also. I'm not sure if it was just the green and white pattern this designer used that seemed to reach out and slap you across the face, or if it was the fact that it seemed to be everywhere.
Like I said, I'm seeing some very interesting paper but would have to be really convinced it would not be a detriment to selling before I put it in my own home.

LOL on the Venetian plaster - I loved the look of it but only when done in the right spaces and done VERY well. Most American homes are not the right space and it's not as easy to do well as it may seem. There is a place in Malibu that has this done and I love it - but that is an exception.

posted Hide Post
Doodles I would agree that wallpaper of distinct color combinations need careful consideration.My favorite wallpapers for foyers are usually tone on tone. This way it's not overwhelming.Just enough to fill in all that empty space.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doodles I would agree that wallpaper of distinct color combinations need careful consideration.My favorite wallpapers for foyers are usually tone on tone. This way it's not overwhelming.Just enough to fill in all that empty space.

Exactly! I, for one, don't want to walk into my home and be beat over the head with anything like I'd be with that green/white paper.
BTW, Charles, thanks for the tip on linen window treatments - ended up doing that in the room that was giving me fits and it's gorgeous and the client was practically doing cartwheels she was so tickled.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doodles64:
quote:

Anytime! Glad it worked out so well. ( just keep away from that green and white wallpaper, YUCH!)

Exactly! I, for one, don't want to walk into my home and be beat over the head with anything like I'd be with that green/white paper.
BTW, Charles, thanks for the tip on linen window treatments - ended up doing that in the room that was giving me fits and it's gorgeous and the client was practically doing cartwheels she was so tickled.

posted Hide Post
Just saw wallpaper being used in the homes on Selling London, these homes are obviously very expensive and have large spaces with high ceilings which can take a large pattern. Tone on tone wallpaper can add a lot to a room.

What else is new in paint or wallpaper? I'd like some new ideas. I use professional painters and paper hangers since I don't have the time to do it myself.

Posts: 3049 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16paws:
Just saw wallpaper being used in the homes on Selling London, these homes are obviously very expensive and have large spaces with high ceilings which can take a large pattern. Tone on tone wallpaper can add a lot to a room.

What else is new in paint or wallpaper? I'd like some new ideas. I use professional painters and paper hangers since I don't have the time to do it myself.

I've mentioned Vahallian Paper before - they send me samples of their newest ones and I have to say they're incredible. Expensive and I think there is a specific way it needs to be put up, but it's truly beautiful, IMO.

posted Hide Post
Just got finished wallpapering one wall in the dining room eith a large pattern paper-- not per pasted and wide. Quite a challenge, but I love it. I do know that should I want to sell the house, it would have to come down. It's also dark so would likely not be generally liked.

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle WA | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it as an accent wall, or maybe as the top of bottom with a chair rail around (depending on the print).

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Love wallpaper!

I have a large patterned wallpaper in the dining area of my kitchen. Large green leaves, seed pods etc. It is bold and dramatic, and it is great! I wouldn't want too much of it, but it is the right amount.

I resist making sweeping statements like, "large patterned wallpaper is tacky" (Or whatever) because each design situation is different, and it can be surprising how good some things can look if you have an open mind.

Wallpaper, meaning applied texture or applied graphic pattern, is just an item in a designer's tool kit. It is neither tacky nor trendy.

Posts: 7077 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the cost of wallpaper is atrocious. I recently cost out some wallpaper to do one wall in my dining room. It would cost me more to do that than put new carpeting in one of my bedrooms. The wall was only 12 feet long and it wasn't even real expensive paper. I think I'll just invest in some nice art work instead!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post