HGTV Message Boards
Ethnic weaves

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9961034353/m/2003967967

Apr 15, 2013, 04:43 PM
Charles D
Ethnic weaves
Many of the major fabric houses like Kravet, Duralee, and Robert Allen have been promoting collections of ethnic inspired fabrics for a few years now. What do you think of suzanis, ikats, ect.?
Apr 16, 2013, 02:55 AM
Annett
I had to look up suzanis and ikats, but I'm glad I did. They're really lovely, and I'm especially taken with the artistry of the suzani. But I'm not sure I'm confident enough (or maybe skilled enough) to incorporate these into my very traditional home. Any ideas?
Apr 17, 2013, 10:09 AM
aychihuahua
I adore ikats, suzanis and African textiles. Their bold colors and predominantly geometric patterns lend themselves to virtually any kind of decor, from traditional to modern.

Many years ago while on business in South Africa, my sister brought me a large authentic piece of handwoven and pieced mudcloth in black, brown and cream. It is breathtaking. I use it occasionally as a throw or a tablecloth. Everyone who sees it oohs and aahs.

Also years back, a dear friend in the S.tate Department who was posted in Azerbaijan surprised me with beautiful hand embroidered linen napkins and table cloth in a red floral design, which I belatedly realized was a Suzani design.

These are two of my most prized possessions and I do use them, albeit carefully.
Jan 24, 2014, 09:27 PM
cocok
Textiles pretty much make me go berserk, so I'm gonna say "LOVE" to suzanis and ikats!
May 29, 2014, 08:09 AM
JRCoop
I also had to look up those styles as I didn't know off the top of my head what they were.

Absolutely stunning. I grew up going to the desert in the Southwest and love patterns like those that you find there. The patterns you mentioned are lovely! I absolutely love them.