Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  What to do with this wall?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with this wall? Sign In/Join 
posted
We just bought our new home about a month ago and I'm at a loss for what to do with this wall in our living room. Any suggestions? (Please forgive the poor quality iPhone photo.)

Wall color suggestions would be welcome as well. I'm also going to be re-doing the banisters -- the handrail and banister posts will either be painted or stained a dark brown and the balusters will be painted white to match the rest of the trim and crown molding. (The dark strip of trim above the stairs will either be painted the same color as the walls to blend it in or white.)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The obvious answer is art work, alone or in a grouping. For paint color look at the throw on your sofa and pick a color you like.

Posts: 7280 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I would paint the walls maybe a blue/grey to match your accent colors. I would also add some wall art for that empty space on your wall. I recently ordered some wall art from Shutterfly that I love. You might like some of the styles on there for your room.

http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/wall-art

This message has been edited. Last edited by: klsteward,

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you maybe find another place for that chair?
Scale-wise it is too heavy and overpowering looking for that space along with the two very large sofas. Perhaps instead you could leave that area blank and put a cocktail table between the two sofas instead.
Artwork or a prominent wall hanging on that wall would look very nice.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post