Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Interior design
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interior design Sign In/Join 
posted
My wife and I purchased our retirement home and now find ourselves struggling to pick paint colors, funiture arrangement, etc. I wouldn't mind finding an interior designer but I'm concerned about cost, their taste compared to ours, etc. Any advice? How do I find an interior designer? How much do they charge? What can I expect?

Posts: 263 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Design as a business is often open to interpretation. "Design Consultants" are often people with years of experience (or not) that are not board certified by the American Society of Interior Designers. A.S.I.D. certified means that the designer has passed vigorous tests within his/her state of employ to be certified by that states board to acknowledge their knowledge and qaulifications. There are also members of A.S.I.D. which have not taken their certification exams who are known as "Allied Partners/ Memebers".As a very general rule, and I am emphasizing "general", the more qualifications someone has, the more likely they are to be looking for comprehensive projects. Which means if you already own all your furniture and are downsizing, these kinds of projects create less opportunity to make money and are often overlooked by more engaged design firms.

Designers can charge by the hour for consultations that involve less product purchases. If you are looking for paint colors, floor plans for furniture placement, and maybe some new window treatments, a younger staff member of an established firm would do a great job. Also smaller individual local designers can often do consultations in between larger projects.

There is no one answer. I work for a very established firm which has been in business for about 60 years. We charge $150 per hour for consultations. However we are located in N.J. where $150 is the going rate, so prices may vary greatly depending on where you live.

Some advise I can give you, is that if you are considering hiring a designer, stop purchasing now. It is much harder for a professional to give you a comprehensive look if some of your materials are less than ideal with regards to scale, color, or seviceability.

Best of luck.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Charles, As usual, you have given very good information.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Irish Sweaters:
A great interior designer possesses an innate sense of form vs. function, creativity, imagination and a talent to unearth the perfect accessory, wallpaper, paint chip, or chair. Your ticket to succeeding in the world of numerous competing designers is to earn your interior design degree.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting to the author of this post that he should study design instead of hiring a designer?

Posts: 1806 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the second post today from Irish Sweater that is completely off the wall. If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if English is not even his/her second language.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, I completely agree with what Charles has said. He knows his stuff.

Design professionals work differently all across the country and they will work differently (moneywise) where you are as opposed to NJ where Charles lives/works or Austin TX where I live/work. His advice to stop buying right now made me want to stand up and cheer! Yes, we can work around almost anything but why make it harder for both you AND whomever you bring in for your project, not to mention the potential waste of money if you buy things that are off scale or just plain don't work for your perceived finish project.
Please don't be concerned about the designer fluffing off all YOUR likes and dislikes to substitute his/her own. Few professionals will actually work that way, regardless of what you see on t.v. Our job is to determine what YOUR dream space is, what will function for the way YOU live and then make it happen within YOUR budget constraints, with a bit of guidance. After all, if you knew how to do it yourself, you wouldn't need one of us, right? We also can/will keep you from making expensive mistakes. I've had clients tell me that my fees were more than made up for in saving them from themselves.
I hope you'll post again and let us know what you've decided to do and how the project is coming along.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
quote:
Originally posted by Irish Sweaters:
A great interior designer possesses an innate sense of form vs. function, creativity, imagination and a talent to unearth the perfect accessory, wallpaper, paint chip, or chair. Your ticket to succeeding in the world of numerous competing designers is to earn your interior design degree.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting to the author of this post that he should study design instead of hiring a designer?

YES, and if you want a chandelier installed you should study to become an electrician... Razz

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irish Sweater is appearing everywhere with non-relevant posts. It appears to me that this is some sort of advertiser with stock posts that they have programmed to pop up wherever they THINK it might apply. I've started reporting every post.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, Angie's List reviews an interior design firm in Councill Bluffs called D'Kei Inc., you may want to start there. Good Luck.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an opinion???

We are in the process of selecting finishes for a new build condominium. It is a nice size--about 1450 sq ft. The kitchen area, dining area and living room are ONE great room with 9 ft ceilings.
We have selected charcoal colored cabinets with mostly glass in the upper cabinets and all drawers in the lowers. The appliances are all Electrolux and in SS. There is a small island which holds the sink and a half and the dishwasher. The counter tops will be a white with shades of gray speckle with shots of silver in it. There will be SS on the back wall behind the slide in induction range.
We are torn between using a laminate(charcoal gray graining with brown/gray--looks like oak) on the floor in this area or a product called STARLOC which is tough as nails and very beautiful. http://www.starlocusa.com/ (Aspen Metallic..Zuni). My partner is wheelchair bound and so TOUGHNESS in flooring is a must.At some point in future we will be adding a canine buddy to our household too.
The walls will be a very light kind of cream/gray with white trim.
We are struggling with choices for the back splash which will be on two runs of cabinets....so far our thoughts are: tempered gray glass or gray tinted mirror. There is a slight bit of an issue with natural light in this space so we were thinking about something to bounce light around a little. Any thoughts?

Posts: 1 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: Mar 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CarolJane:
Does anyone have an opinion???

We are in the process of selecting finishes for a new build condominium. It is a nice size--about 1450 sq ft. The kitchen area, dining area and living room are ONE great room with 9 ft ceilings.
We have selected charcoal colored cabinets with mostly glass in the upper cabinets and all drawers in the lowers. The appliances are all Electrolux and in SS. There is a small island which holds the sink and a half and the dishwasher. The counter tops will be a white with shades of gray speckle with shots of silver in it. There will be SS on the back wall behind the slide in induction range.
We are torn between using a laminate(charcoal gray graining with brown/gray--looks like oak) on the floor in this area or a product called STARLOC which is tough as nails and very beautiful. http://www.starlocusa.com/ (Aspen Metallic..Zuni). My partner is wheelchair bound and so TOUGHNESS in flooring is a must.At some point in future we will be adding a canine buddy to our household too.
The walls will be a very light kind of cream/gray with white trim.
We are struggling with choices for the back splash which will be on two runs of cabinets....so far our thoughts are: tempered gray glass or gray tinted mirror. There is a slight bit of an issue with natural light in this space so we were thinking about something to bounce light around a little. Any thoughts?

laminate can be really noisy if you have a dog. Our condo came with laminate flooring and now that we have a new puppy (Yeah!) I can't wait to get rid of the laminate.

posted Hide Post
FYI THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ASID CERTIFIED!!! ASID is simply a member organization. I was an ASID member as a student in interior design. It is a very expensive organization to be a member of and is mostly comprised of residential designers. The only NATIONAL official certification for interior designers is NCIDQ - and that is geared mostly toward commercial interior architecture. Some states have their own certifications. But if you see a designer claiming to be "ASID certified" - it is meaningless.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Yes, ASID is a professional member organization in much the same way the National Association of Realtors is a trade/professional membership organization for real estate agents.

ASID encourages its members to take the NCIDQ certification exam in order to further their professional development.

ASID never uses the word "certification." It uses the word "designation." Similar to the trademarked REALTOR designation, which can only be used by state-licensed real estate agents who belong to NAR and meet certain NAR criteria.

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wicker Paradise
posted Hide Post
I see this post is over a year old, just wanted to share another tip for anyone else looking to find an interior designer.

You can search on Houzz.com and find designers by their location and view pictures of their portfolio with furniture by project to see if their style is what you are looking for.

Mark
Wicker Paradise

Posts: 2 | Location: New Rochelle, New York | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you to consult interior decorating professionals at TBS Gallery, they will definitely help you.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi , Hope i can answer you. I could suggest curtainsanscurtains.com for affordable interior decors, and they are well known for their speedy delevery. But they will not compromise quality at any cost. You can have huge number of collections here.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is one more Idea for making your Home Interior luxurious. I have

gone through this site name http://www.rugstomydoor.com .

This is first online area rug store for everyone. It gives you the

variety of rugs which you can use to make your house luxurious and

attractive. I have ordered many rugs for my house. It provides rugs to

your door. I am very with their service and product and want to advice

you to take look at it. Wink :O

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vivek,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you tried wall stickers ? they can be personalized and even get a custom design made for you many interior designer use them to get that personal touch to any room

Posts: 4 | Location: London | Registered: Jul 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jessica, wall decals are ok, but they can hardly fit in any kind of interiors. They are perfect for... let's say simple and fucntional livign areas with more ordinary furniture.

For example, a luxurious interior can never allow using wall decals inside the place.

However, if you want to get some ideas check this website for interior design: http://founterior.com Additionally, today when I was browsing I came upon a collection of pieces of furniture in eBay, look: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/design-interior-collection Have you every bought a chair, for example, from ebay?????

Oh wait, I forgot to send you one very fine collection of images... if you have any free time, enjoy these interiors http://www.pinterest.com/founterior/interior-design/.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arch_design_master,

I am in love with design! I make it with passion ....

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasjacob:
I would suggest you to consult interior decorating professionals at TBS Gallery, they will definitely help you.

Agreed, interior designer will help you out in this situation fully.

Posts: 31 | Location: USA, newyork | Registered: Oct 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post