Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Brushed nickel or rubbed bronze when decorating?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brushed nickel or rubbed bronze when decorating? Sign In/Join 
posted
So, we really need to replace our light and fan fixtures in the house we've been in for a year Smile Knowing that we will likely sell the home in 5 years (if that counts), I am conflicted as to whether to go with rubbed bronze or brushed nickel. Some of our furnishings are more modern, the dining room is more traditional (right now).... so I'm at a loss as to what to put up in our spaces.... any suggestions? We're looking at the Home Depot Altura ceiling fan for our great room with 17 foot ceilings, so I guess that is our jumping off point. Attached to that is a kitchen with maple cabinets/dark granite/stainless steel. I wish there was a chart out there I could fill out and get the answers, so far I haven't found it Smile

Posts: 489 | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, this is such a personal choice. If most of your furnishings and the home seems more modern, then I'd go with the brushed nickel. I, personally, love the ORB because of the warmth and cozy feeling it gives. I recently did a client's condo with the brushed nickel simply because this was her personal style. If I'm doing one of the large, more rustic or traditional homes here in the Austin area, I do tend to use the ORB or iron. Whatever fits the feel of the house is best. If you put ORB in a modern, airy loft it would probably look silly, and same goes for brushed nickel in some of the Texas ranch styles I do here.
Not sure that helps, but it's one person's opinion.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Since your ceiling fan is up so high, away from other things and not an easy replacement, I would probably opt for the rubbed bronze? Love the nickel on many applications, but the darker/RB may be more timeless.

What finish is on your door's hardware, and common to most of your furnishings? It really does not have to all match, it is like different shades/varieties of wood furnishings....the color/tones all tend to blend if the style blends.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ML, I agree with the previous comments. The brushed nickel might be considered more contemporary but it's o.k. to mix metals, if you like it.

WRT the potential home sale in 5 years, I would purchase the fixtures/metals I absolutely love now and not worry about the sale. In fact, if I spent a little more on these items, I'd probably plan to take them along with me to my next home. (Obviously, that would only apply to basic items, e.g. the ceiling fan, d.r. chandelier, etc. That is, items that you can easily reuse in your next home.)

That way, if styles/metals have changed (again) in 5 years, you can replace those fixtures with basic, inexpensive items before you show the house. OTOH, if your tastes change in 5 years and the fixtures still work in your home, you may leave them behind.

JMHO.

BTW, would love to see some photos, if you have a chance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently replaced every door knob and hinge set in our new condo.(not cheap). Went with ORB and am now very sorry. IMHO, ORB is too dark against white/ off white. I look at the doors and all I see are black polka dots.

I understand you are talking about ceiling fans and not door hardware, but my experience taught me that the background color is just as important as current trend. I might have liked my ORB choice if it were against natural wood or a color.

For me, a silver finish looks softer against off white.So for future reference I will be considering the background first.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, maybe that's why brass has been a standard for years and apparently, is coming back. Brass on my house with natural molding, brass on my house with white molding.

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In your case I would opt for rubbed bronze.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are more concerned with the "saleability" than your personal taste, try to keep the different finishes down to a minimum. Match the lighting and the ceiling fans to your doorknobs. Afterall your furniture is no longer relevant once you move.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Last winter, I was looking at some model homes w/friends and they had mixed metal; I'd go for what you personally like.

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of mixing metals and many fixture manufacturers offer them for practical reasons, It saves the homeowner from changing out every piece of metal in kitchens and baths while marrying the old with the new.

FYI, I have an ORB kitchen faucet that is about 9 yrs. old and the finish is wearing noticeably. IMHO chrome is timeless though matte cousins can compliment certain colors and finishes better.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post