HGTV Message Boards
HELP for my family room, formal living and dining room

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9911067823/m/7623950967

Mar 20, 2013, 07:08 PM
Rodina A Harriosn
HELP for my family room, formal living and dining room
I had my home built in 2001. We have lived in the home for approximately twelve years without any major decorating being done (no paint, no new furniture NOTHING). I have finally decided to put my personal touch on my home - yet I have no idea what that is. I removed the carpet in the family room and plan on replacing it along with the formal dining room and formal living room with hardwood, color high gloss teak cherry hardwood. What color do I paint the walls, what color furniture do I purchase. Any assistance or comments will be greatly appreciated.
Apr 01, 2013, 08:10 AM
Froo Froo
Welcome. Before you decide on the color and species of your new hardwood flooring, have a sense of the wood tone your new furniture will have. The dark cherrywood may limit you. Although it is fine to mix woods, the coloration should compliment each other.

BTW, dark hardwood floors in a high sheen will show scratches and water spots more readily the lighter floors in a more matte finish. Dust and some pet hair (if applicable) will also be noticed.

Factor in the natural and artificial lighting of your spaces as well as potential wall colors as dictated from your upholstery or rug choices too otherwise you may risk dark spaces. Cool colors like blues and greens or those with cool undertones tend to compliment red floors.

Again, look ahead to your decor preferences before you commit to the hardwood coloration for the whole picture.
Apr 03, 2013, 06:24 PM
luvtoflip
I agree with Froo regarding the shiny gloss flooring. We opted for a matte/satin finish and I am so glad that I did. Regular walking/moving furniture/shoes/pets/children/toys/etc will scratch the floor very quickly.

Go look at furniture and take your time doing so. I believe you will know what piece speaks to you when you see it. Don't make the mistake that I did years ago and purchase what you "think" others would expect to see. It's your house and you have to live in it every day.

Sometimes people like to choose colors for walls like they would with fashion. What colors are you drawn to in your closet? If you have a spouse, what colors does he tend to go with? If you like wearing a bold color like red (for example) but can't quite picture it on every wall, you can opt to bring the red in with accessories like pillows, throws, artwork, etc.

Another suggestion...they have a "designers' gallery" on the website. You can literally look at different styles, furniture placement, wall colors and everything else that you had questions about. That might give you a very good start to deciding what you like.

Remember that you don't have to get it all done in a week! I sensed that you are finally ready to commit yourself to decorating and painting which is wonderful but have fun doing it.

Edited to add...It's actually called Designers' Portfolio. Sorry bout that. If you look at the very top of the page and click decorating. Then slide across to "all decorating". Then scroll down to "Designers' Portfolio".

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: luvtoflip,

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"
Apr 07, 2013, 08:44 AM
arepo
You might want to consider bamboo flooring which is environmentally desirable and simply beautiful. Just make sure it is good quality bamboo.
Mine happens to be pale blond but there are many stunning colors.
Check it out.