Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Small Living Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Living Room Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi,
I have a very small living room with dark brown leather love seat and couch, which over powers the room. I want to spruce it up, make it bright and comfortable, I have beige walls and my decor is the sea green and brown, love the colors it just looks so dull in there. Please help

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pictures would help but have you thought of a soft sea green for the walls? I think the beige walls would be sort of bland with your dark brown furniture. Put a throw over the furniture in cream, cream pillows, light colored lamps/ shades and cream curtains/drapery. You didn't say what color your floors are....

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, my floors are cherry hardwood, but we are planning on changing them and going with a light oak color. The beige walls are bland looking. I do have some coach pillows and blankets that are cream colored, but my curtains are the sea green color. I thought about painting the green but was worried about my curtains too. Although I have seen many shows where the walls and curtains are in the same colors and it looks very good. Maybe I will just get a sample and paint beside the window to see how it will look together. Thank you very much for the help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would change the wall color to like a tan or beige or like a caramel color.

Posts: 168 | Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri | Registered: Jan 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Pictures of your space would help. I agree that painting the walls the same color of your curtains sounds ideal. Your eye won't be broken this away which will make the room seem larger. Bring chips home to. Match to your curtains in the rooms lighting conditions.

If you can add white trim to your space including crown, this too will keep things light. Your space may also lack print interest. If so, find one or two in differing scales that echo the wall and sofa color. This print or prints can come from pillows, a stool, a rug or occasional chair. Do allow maximum natural light to filter in and beef up artifical light if necessary all around the room.

Replacing your floor with a lighter one will provide contrast and lighten the space.

Tips in dealing with small spaces....

Use a well positioned mirror to double room size.
Diagonal prints expand a space while wide horizontal stripes stretch a space.
Keep furniture in scale. Opt for styles with narrow arms or armless.
Use multipurpose pieces.
Utilize vertical space.
Ottomans can serve as coffee tables, extra seating, footrests and can provide extra storage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make your small living room look unique with a home theater seating. And if you get a dark colored seating with leather upholstery then it would be an additional beauty to your interior.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ignore the previous responder who's clearly advertising.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wall decals are a GREAT way to spruce up a small space. They can add bright dimension to your walls without taking up any space. They will shift the focus from your furniture to your entire space. From inspirational quotes to a beautiful mural, whatever suits your personality will mesh well with the room. Pick your wall decal colors to compliment your bright color choices for the room. They are inexpensive, easy to put up and will make a world of difference in the room.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Seems the bandwagon is full. Get lost advertisers.

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Could you put the loveseat in a bedroom so your l.room space seems crowded?

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would really help if you can upload some photos so we could have a quick view.

Fine Furniture Toronto

Posts: 4 | Location: Canada | Registered: Mar 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sick of folks "pretending to give advice" when all they're doing is advertising. The moderators mst have been laid off.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with plain good ol' white?
Why does everyone disdain it? Seems that a light cream or white would benefit you room greatly.
Whatever you decide, please get rid of those beige walls!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post