Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Trying to figure out how to decorate my room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to figure out how to decorate my room Sign In/Join 
posted
Hey guys,
I am trying to figure out how to decorate my new room. I definitely don't hav a modern style, but I do like how clean and sleek modern is. I grew up with furniture with some detail, but not overly ornate and I really liked that, so I tend to gravitate towards french styles. I've always been kind of drawn to french country or shabby chic, but not with too much weathering. I like the furniture and room to not look pristinely clean, but not look like it's been used oer and over again for 100 years. I've done a bunch of quizes to find my style and they gravitate towards coastal, traditional and eclectic, but I've been gravitating towards adding a bit of flare and glam. I saw picture of a room that was dubbed "french contemporary" and I liked that. It had a lot of white, which I like, but know I can't use because they would get way too dirty. I like having a spa like serenity in my room, but a little bit of fun too. I'm drawn to blues and blue greens, but muted. I've been thinking about painting my room a light blue/gray and embelishing with silver decorations for a kind of winter feel, but I'm not sure if that's too cold for me. Does anybody have any tips on how I would find my style or what it might be. I only have a bedroom to decorate so I do want to make sure it's not too stimulated to sleep in.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redo Your Room Online
posted Hide Post
Hi Michaela!

How do you want to feel when you walk into your room? Ask yourself this question and then select items for your room that embody this feeling. It's ok to have a bit of different styles in your room too because at the end of the day, your space should reflect your personality and style. It also helps to gather pics of items that you like to see how they work together in a space.

Good luck!

Posts: 13 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like your idea of a calming blue room, very nice to get into a relaxing mood before you go to bed. Smile At the end of the day it matters whatever you like the most, so keep experimenting with the colours schemes you think you like and you will figure it out eventually!

Best of luck! Smile

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You already have evaluated what you are drawn to and have the beginnings of a vision. I strongly advise you to seek inspiration to better fine tune your goal and the feel you seek while evoking your unique personality and passions into this private space. Browse decorating magazines, tour model homes and local designer show houses, view sites like Pinterest and Houzz, stroll through furniture stores. These are all enlightening resources. Note what elements and details appeal to you. An inspirational print in a comforter or rug can also become a springboard.

Posts: 18659 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, what type of door you have in your bedroom? as it is always good to start all your changes to your motif from your room door. check thisfor the design of the door that you can use provided you can have it incorporate with your home design.

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: Apr 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're on the right track with blue as your chosen color which, along with golds, cinnamon, light greens and creams, are quite appropriate for a French look.
It's a good start. Have fun with it.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post