Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  I need MEGA HELP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need MEGA HELP Sign In/Join 
posted
OK, so when we bought our first home the living room came with blue carpet. I am not a fan of this carpet but it is in really good condition and we are not really looking to put a ton of money in to the home since it is temporary. Anyway I am trying to figure out what color to paint the walls. They are off white now and I don't really like them. We have dark brown furniture and wood base board. Any thought on what would go with dark blue carpet dark brown furniture? I like dark colors but I wasn't sure how it would all look if the walls were dark to.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sort of yellow..(cream with yellow tint)...light blue.....beige with yellowish tint...taupe....My suggestion is to make a color board...with swatches of your rug and your couch and take it to a paint store....Even if you leave your walls white, you can use colorul throws, pillows, area rugs and drapes to liven up your room.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I too would recommend introducing a print in the existing colors with lighter hue values of the blue and brown featured plus a light neutral. This print could come via a rug (which would also cut down on the dark blue field), window treatment or occasional chair. Pull one of the lighter values or accent colr found in the inspirational print for the walls. Scatter more of the light colors onto around the room including onto the sofa. Include textural interest.

BTW, inexpensive rugs can be fashioned from rug remnants. The edges can bound. If you go this route for a space, introduce a print that unifies the current scheme with lighter, brighter values and colors via other fabrics.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!! This helps a lot and I like the rug ideas. I will have to make a color board and see what more I can come up with.

Thanks again!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post