Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  What color area rug?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color area rug? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello: my living room has a green/beige (Sherwin Wms. 'ramie')paint on walls with white trim, Ethan Allen med gray sofa with mustard accent pillows, soft yellow/orange/brown art on walls, med/dark tables and mirror frames, med brown wood floors. What color should the area rug be? Looking for a soothing, calm space. Thanks for any help you can give!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SarahSweet,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I hear you regarding the feel you seek, but I am a fan of print (and textural) interest in a space. How does a black and white print rug strike you? Area rugs can be high ticket items depending on the material, size and source of the rug so going neutral will afford you scheme flexibility down the line. Find a print that will bring visual interest to this neutral space and large enough that the front feet of your main grouping anchors it. Since your furnishings and architecture are on the contemporary side, look for a geometric or abstract print in the rug. Though a chevron/zigzag pattern is currently hot, it may be contrary to the soothing feel you seek. Do a google using, "contemporary black and white area rugs" to find a pattern that speaks to you. Their are swirls, circles, block prints, nature inspired patterns, waves, ethnic inspired patterns, stripes, etc.

Though I recommend the Web for an initial search, I HIGHLY recommend that you shop locally. Local rug retailers often allow customers to try their rugs in their homes for a day or two before committing to them. The added bonus is that it is easier to deal locally should a problem arise. For instance, my SIL recently had issues with an EA area rug and contacted their store for a resolution. Reputable stores will satisfy their customers.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the perfect place to use a multi-colored rag rug, or shaggy-type tie rug. Google it and see what you find. It will tie (no pun intended) the room together. The only draw back is sometimes when I walk barefoot my toes get caught in the tie and I trip, so I have learned to keep my socks on. They can be beautiful rugs and if you find the right one, you will be very happy with it.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Sherwin Wms. 'ramie')paint on walls with white trim, Ethan Allen med gray sofa with mustard accent pillows, soft yellow/orange/brown art on walls, med/dark tables and mirror frames, med brown wood floors. What color should the area rug be? Looking for a soothing, calm space. Thanks for any help y

I would go with a multi-colored rug as DreamingDesigner stated..maybe a dark green/red/with a bit of tan, all muted colors? Stickley has some great rugs but not sure how much you are looking to spend.

Best of luck. Smile

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post