Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Help merging two decorating styles.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help merging two decorating styles. Sign In/Join 
posted
My husband and I have two distinct decorating styles.
His: Modern Graphic. He loves a contemporary look that combines urban styling (imagine a clean downtown loft) with midcentury design. Simple furniture forms. His favorite words: clean, uncluttered, simple.
Mine: Sophisticated Classic. I love elegance. Traditional furniture with jewelry-like accessories and pale hues. Think Tiffany & Co., and charlotte from Sex and the City. I love delicate furniture with feminine lines and tapered legs. I love grand chandeliers, luxurious fabrics like silk and velvet. Rich dark woods with polished veneers. Luxe accent materials, including metal, marble and glass.

For more info and some pics: http://www.realsimple.com/home...000030293/page2.html and http://www.realsimple.com/home...000030293/page8.html

How can we combine the two without our living room looking like a personality disorder? (P.S. Obsessive compulsive here. I HATE mismatched dishes. Its not quirky to me.. its disturbing) Help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shopgirl1977,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use traditional furniture in an uncluttered room. You may have to forget some of(okay, maybe a lot) of the accessories. You can also use rich fabrics in a clean way.

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
With the links you provided you also showed that you are on the right path to a solution.

If your husband has the patience sit down with him with some very good decorating magazines like Arch. Digest, World of Interiors, Veranda, House beautiful. See if there are any interiors you both agree on. Take it from there.

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Like all things in marriage, compromise is key. Perhaps, you can allow his taste to be showcased in one room such as the living room or den and yours in another, such as the dining room or powder room. The bedroom could be a touch of both insuring it is not too stark for you nor to frilly for him. Mixing clean lines and tailored touches with fancy or traditional as long as scheme and balance are maintained in all your spaces. Do not go to extremes with either and it can result in eclectic or transitional spaces that evoke both your personalities and tastes. Work together toward spaces you are both comfortable in.

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post