Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Living room layout advice (major seating problem)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living room layout advice (major seating problem) Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi all,

I could really use some advice for my new living room. The problem is the room is not just a living room, but also a passageway through the house. Also it has a fireplace on one wall, a recessed TV nook on another wall and a bar from the kitchen on another side. What I'm trying to figure out is a layout that will allow for enough flow but also enough seating. I've attached a picture of the room for reference. Anyone interested in helping with some layout ideas?

livingroom

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That door on the left of the fireplace, where does that go?

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the porch, outside. That path from that door to the kitchen is key because we will be grilling out on the porch.

posted Hide Post
How about a couch floating toward the TV and a love seat with it's back toward the kitchen bar? L shaped sort of. Or a sectional used the same way. You need to get from the porch door to the kitchen, so furniture would have to "float" or be pulled out to walk behind.

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good ideas May. Except for the sectional which I dislike because you can never rearrange the furniture and it often does not allow anymore seating.

Or have you considered all chairs which could be rearranged a lot of ways. Where would you plug in lights? That makes a difference.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions, all. I'm not sure where additional lighting would be yet. I'm leaning toward the L shaped sectional idea and not providing a direct diagonal from the kitchen, since that will open up the room to every other passage. Maybe that will discourage eating in the living room?

posted Hide Post
Regarding lighting....Floating furniture is hard unless you have an electrician put a plug-in in the floor. If you have a basement, it would not be hard to do, or too expensive, I wouldn't think.

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the floating set up and certainly an electrical plug in the floor is an asset, not a deficit.
But maybe you might also want to simply consider the usual set-up of the l-shaped sectional in front of the window and facing the TV. The only problem I see with that is the glare from the window when watching TV during the day. Other than that, it seems to be the least problematic.

Posts: 1701 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
keep a 3 ft. walkway in front of the TV.extending to each side. Put the sofa in front of the window sit with 3 ft. in between. The window seat additional seating for watching TV. I would made cushions the same color as the sofa for the window seat. Chairs on each side of the sofa.

Posts: 9269 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post