Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kids Library Sign In/Join 
posted
I can't seem to find inspiration for a kids office/library anywhere. We just bought a new house that has a formal living room to the right when you walk in the front door. We have 3 kids and no use for a formal space. I would love to turn this into a kids office for homework/library/reading/comfy space. But it needs to look nice since it's in the front of the house. 14x14 room with no door, it's all open. Windows on the front and far right. Tall ceilings. Blank slate. Ideas? Photos? Help!

Posts: 1 | Location: Cincinnati, Oh | Registered: Jan 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Might consider now (or in the future) adding a couple of indoor, glass pane, french doors and enough wall to mount them in. DD has such a room just off their entry, and it works well as an office. Free standing or wall mounted book cases/shelves, and a long desk/table jutting out into the room gives space to work on both sides. It makes a great home office, and with the doors closed, adds just a bit of privacy from the rest of the house.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a chalkboard wall, but that may be unsightly.

How about a corkboard wall so they can display art in a tidy fashion...

Sounds like a fun project...how do the kids see the room? Do they need/want an art table? Will toys need to be stored as well?

Have fun and hope to see pics when you complete it Wink

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Keep the children's ages in mind as well as ease of access, organization, storage and safety. Built ins offering shelving and storage around the perimeter will be a worthwhile investment, but plan this so that the space can be converted back to formal dining in the future tho resale is no doubt on your radar. Lighting is also an important element. Desks/tables and comfy chairs as well as an area rug if dealing with a hardwood or tile floor should be part of the design plan. Computer hook ups should be incorporated too.

I agree that some sort of barrier should be considered. Talk to a contractor (preferably, the builder) regarding framing out the entrance to this space and adding pocket doors.

If I find inspiration pics, I will post them, but it would be helpful if you post pics of this space and mention the children's ages.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Hken,

Maybe you can consider adding a couch on the wall closest to the windows facing inwards with a coffee table and 1-2 reading/couch lounge chairs on the opposite site. In the centre you could add the coffee table and have some sort of hanging lighting like this?

http://www.newclassicsbrasslig.../rustic/Rustic34.jpg

On the walls maybe some hanging canvas complementing your decor.

Good luck. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CarlJ28,

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post