Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Help!....I don't know what to do with my family room.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!....I don't know what to do with my family room. Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I'm having trouble designing my family room. It's starting to look like a mess, different pillows, rugs, and curtains. I have pictures. The walls are a light/blue grey, the carpet is cream. Please help. Thanks.

PS the built-ins will have shelving. We just haven't put them up yet.

http://s17.postimg.org/4h6mbbgun/fam1.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/57zch3j7z/fam2.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/kuqlugwzz/fam3.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/6pkssnnyn/fam4.jpg

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of so much spam we are leery of clicking on links from a post time poster. You can include the px in your message. Just click the attachment button.

Please repost on the general decorating show as more people respond there.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry, i tried but it wasn't working

posted Hide Post
first pic

first

posted Hide Post
second

posted Hide Post
third

posted Hide Post
fourth

posted Hide Post
Decorating is so personal. I can only tell you what I would do. Your room is neutral so there are a lot of choices.

It appears there is a rug under the coffee table. I would get rid of that. You don't need it. Then I would get something to hang on the walls. There are lots of choices there.

When you get the shelves up put some books and some decorative items. I would try to hide the cords by your fireplace and get a chair.

Now this is real personal. I dislike TV over the fireplace. It is too high, the heat could damage it, it distracts from the most attractive part of the room and something decorative would look better there. Have you considered hanging the TV to the right of the fireplace and not putting so many shelves. That would also hide the cords and make the TV more comfortable to watch from the sofa.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply. We have been deciding to get rid of it.

What would you recommend for a color scheme that goes well with light/blue grey walls and cream carpet?

posted Hide Post
You could use any color with it. Find a piece of material (maybe a pillow) that you like. Or maybe a picture you like. You can pick one color out of there.

Personally, I am not crazy about the yellow pillows you have on the sofa now. They are too close in hue to the color of the sofa. Normally I like yellow but not here or maybe just not this shade.

You could,buy different pillows and put them on the sofa and see what you think. You can always return the ones you don't like. Then that will tell what color family you like.

Does that make any sense?