Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Please help!! Live in boyfriend trouble!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help!! Live in boyfriend trouble!! Sign In/Join 
posted
Posting photos of my horribly untidy bedroom on the Internet with no shame! The pictures clearly show how much my stuff is bursting at the seams in this small bedroom. I live here with my boyfriend and we need to store all of our belongings in our room (including pantry items) because we live with less than satisfactory roommates Frown the room is long and narrow with the wall on the right being about a foot longer creating a wedge room!! I have no idea how to better place the furniture we have or why furniture we could purchase in the future because we need more storage! Also there is an awkward space above our closet that is not being utilized! Throw your ideas at me in desperate!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dana_baginski,

posted Hide Post
MOVE!!!!!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree..Move! If you can't I would get book shelves....there are various sizes that you can put baskets on OR get stackable storage containers that you can label....his, hers, cosmetics, underware, socks, shoes etc. Get rid of the paper cups with straws, as soon are you are done with them..

love life

Posts: 1437 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
LOL Yes MOVE!!!!

However if you can't move...You need to get the bed off the floor. If money is a problem, which evidently it is or you wouldn't be where you are, check second hand/thrift stores.

Then, you wouldn't even have to purchase plastic containers. Get some cardboard boxes and cut the sides down to fit under the bed. I like copier paper boxes...cut the box down to fit, then put the lid on. Label the ends of the boxes so that you see at a glance what is in it...food...his clothing/shoes....your clothing/shoes.

I see a door with no over-the-door hanger. Is that a chair in the corner piled with clothes? Which means you don't sit on the chair? Get rid of it and find a second-hand/thrift shop dresser.

Posts: 16598 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If only we could move!! Housing here in hawaii is extremely expensive and we are saving up to get our own apartanent. Thank you for all your suggestions!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
WOW, It's the size of a dorm. Till you can move you will need to utilize the vertical space for storage. Use decorative boxes or baskets with lids to stack on the shelves. Maximize the tiny closet via tiered hangers. Use more decorative storage boxes or baskets to contain and conceal the things in the cubbie above the closets. Even suitcases can serve to contain things there that are seldom used. Use a rolling under the bed container to stash more things like shoes or linens. It will be very important to edit and organize if you desire a comfortable and functioning space.

Posts: 18474 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I see now that your bed is on the floor. Buy an inexpensive metal frame with casters to elevate it otherwise you are not taking advantage of valuable storage space underneath it. A loft bed is even better in such a tight space.

A floor standing coat rack will come in handy too or use 3M hooks to hang things like hats, light jackets or robes.

Posts: 18474 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow you guys are great! I think definitely getting a frame for the bed is my next move because I saw those rolling underbed containers on special at Walmart. There I think I'll put shoes and unused books/magazines/papers. That frees up a lot of space in the closet since we have 3 hanging shoe cubbies taking up way to much room. Still unhappy with the furniture placement but I think it's our only option.

posted Hide Post
Can you post some additional photos, maybe a smaller size? I'm having a difficult time even understanding the room/shape/size/arrangement as it currently is.

This is certainly doable but I really need to see more.

Posts: 6057 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
Can you post some additional photos, maybe a smaller size? I'm having a difficult time even understanding the room/shape/size/arrangement as it currently is.

This is certainly doable but I really need to see more.

I can't tell either so I copied the pictures and and rotated and re-sized them.

jpg

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post

jpg

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
What is this piece of furniture that I drew a crude line around?

Is there anyway you could turn the black dresser around or cover the back side so you don't have to look at that unattractive sight?

Do you have the chair located where it is because of the breeze from the window?

jpg

posted Hide Post
Stilltrying, that is fabulous! Thank you so much for the photo resizing. Now I can at least get a perspective. Just hope the OP comes back.

Ok, two things came to mind right off the bat. The bed position. If possible, one option would be to flip the bed sideways and put it next to that wall under the window. It isn't ideal because one persom still has to climb over the other to get out of bed but it's an option.

The other option is to center the head of the bed on that window wall. Looks like there would be enough room on either side of the bed for each person to get to and from, in and out of the bed without really disturbing the other.

Bed frame in either case.

Will be back in a bit with more ideas.

Posts: 6057 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
Stilltrying, that is fabulous! Thank you so much for the photo resizing. Now I can at least get a perspective. Just hope the OP comes back.

Ok, two things came to mind right off the bat. The bed position. If possible, one option would be to flip the bed sideways and put it next to that wall under the window. It isn't ideal because one persom still has to climb over the other to get out of bed but it's an option.

The other option is to center the head of the bed on that window wall. Looks like there would be enough room on either side of the bed for each person to get to and from, in and out of the bed without really disturbing the other.

Bed frame in either case.

Will be back in a bit with more ideas.

You're welcome Charcoalsmom. I hope the OP comes back because there are some organizational tips I wanted to share but I wanted to know why they have the furniture in it's current location. BTW, I liked your ideas regarding the location of the bed.

posted Hide Post
If it was me, I would put all food stuffs in plastic storage cantainers.

If you can't purchase decorative boxes, cover cardboard ones with wrapping paper. scrapbook paper or fabric. Don't forget to label them.

Good luck. Hope you can move soon.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6204 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post