Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Realtor says "Remove the Quilts"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Realtor says "Remove the Quilts" Sign In/Join 
Picture of Country Cousin
posted
We are downsizing from our 5 bedroom home to a smaller place. Prior to showing our home to potential buyers we need to remove family photos and quilts! Three things define our style: quilts (on the beds, wall hangings, table toppers, table & dresser runners), crocks and oak furniture. It's an overall country theme through out & we love it. I was told today's buyers like a sleek and modern look. We live in a mid-sized town in the Midwest USA. It was suggested we leave the quilts on the beds but remove wall hangings, quilt throws and the quilted table toppers. We keep an uncluttered home (DH & I are both neat freaks, married 45 yrs.)so getting ready to show our home will not be a difficult task.

Have any of you quilting gals been through this selling experience? Did you remove the quilts that made your home feel welcoming & warm?

Our home is 10 yrs. old and could easily be made to look sleek and modern by new buyers. I will do as the realtor asks but how do you make a home feel inviting & warm without quilts? I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thank you~

Posts: 114 | Registered: May 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Another way to look at it:

You might take it as a sort of compliment?
Any art or decor that is so striking/interesting/attractive that it takes the potential buyers attention away from room layout and the actual house itself can distract them and their imagination.

Besides packing these things is something you will end up doing anyway?

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
It would look to old fashioned for me.I think your realtor is just wanting to have the home appeal to younger buyers.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Two of the homes we sold had quilt displays...everyone loveddddddddd them and it was not an issue. We did, however, have huge masses of walls to cover and very high ceilings, so they helped make the home not look so cavernous.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it doesn't depend on the realtor? Some years back now a realtor kindly gave me a market analysis on our house.

She said that although she usually tells people to do the de-cluttering thing, that in our case we should leave everything just the way it is.

I thought she meant that we had decorated our house in the style that the house itself dictated? Don't really know though. We have an overabundance of things.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post