Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Coastal Living Room Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coastal Living Room Help Sign In/Join 
posted
I was attempting to have a classy coastal type living room, but somehow got very lost. Is there a way to fix this, or should I ditch everything and start over? It is a very small space.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm posting another photo. The rug is red and behind the chair is the patio door. To the left is the dining set. Lost on that too, but one thing at a time.

posted Hide Post
Coastal is not brown.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be a way to keep the couch. I took chuck's remark as a challengeSmile

Posts: 3515 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just FYI. The couch is gold and the trim is brown in a wicker design. I admire those who can accept a challenge, however, I'm just decorating impaired ...and appreciate any assistance greatly

Picture of Redo Your Room Online
posted Hide Post
Hi crystaleyz!

I would work with the colors of the tropical painting and get smaller furniture if you can afford it but if you can't then paint your coffee table a soft blue as shown on the picture and swap the throw pillows for a color similar of those in your painting. The rug sms29s66 shared is pretty.

Posts: 13 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PureHome
posted Hide Post
Hi there, we have an excellent blog about how to get the coastal style look! Feel free to check it out: http://blog.purehome.com/2012/...-style-living-rooms/

We hope this helps!

Andie, Purehome.com

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if you had a glass/wrought iron coffee table (something lighter in volume), a lighter colored lamp and some pillows that echo the colors in the painting, it will be more coastal.

love life

Posts: 1566 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
google or search "west indies décor"...that should give you ideas working with your furniture.

Posts: 9726 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post