Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Loft to Video Game cave Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loft to Video Game cave Help! Sign In/Join 
posted
I hope this is the right place to do this. I've searched the web a bit trying to find exactly what I need, but I can't find anything close enough. My wife and I just bought out first home. I've migrated my massive collection of Gaming with me from my place. I never had an actual "man cave" for any of it because well... I had an entire house to myself for it. Now I have to downsize a little bit but the wife agreed that the loft was free game, and I can do what I like with it, including man caving it. I will provide a picture if it will help. Basically I want to have a way to display most of my collector/limited edition stuff, shelving for games, posters, and the use of a projector on a wall.

My problem is I don't quite know how to do it without it looking too crowded. I am organized and I CAN decorate to an extent but this has me at a dead point on what to do. I will have to add the picture in a second post to this. I can also provide the actual loft size. Thanks in advanced HGTV Community.

Posts: 12 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The size is 11.5' x 15'

Posts: 12 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You forgot the pxs.

Posts: 7224 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't forget. Trying to find a way to post them. The message board has a size limitation. So I am having to figure a way to shrink them or use image shack or something. In the mean time I can do this....

Blue Print

posted Hide Post
The whole "This area!" Is where I need help. The rectangle on the right of the stairs is a 3.5 ft banister, The left of the stairs is a clear wall all the way to the ceiling (which is about 9.5 ft), the solid line on the far right is a side by side window. The whole area is free game, nothing is on the walls except light switches and outlets, which I guess I could have marked on there... I'm gonna go ahead and do that. Just for the sake of it....

posted Hide Post
Updated

Updated

posted Hide Post
Ok, The "s" denotes light Switches, and the "O" for Outlets. The small door by the right side of the stairs is a half door to the attic crawl space. This is the best I can do at the moment until I can get these pictures smaller. I hope this helps out.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Got pictures!

posted Hide Post
Good pxs. When you said loft I pictured one open wall but this looks fully enclosed. Right?

There are so many options. You mentioned wanting a projection area. Rather than leaving a blank wall use a screen. I would suggest you mount it over the window. You would not waste wall space for part time use and blocking out the light may help the viewing.

A poster or two on the wall where the stairs come up. What furniture are you having?

Posts: 7224 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, its fully enclosed and has many open walls. Our master is on the main level, so upstairs is basically 3 extra bedrooms and full bathroom. One room is being used as an "Office" while the other two rooms will be spares for friends and family who visit. I have already considered a pull down screen for projection. However, I thought about doing it on the wall from the first picture, mounted about 3 inches from the wall, but in the ceiling. And have a custom cut small type of display shelf to run along the bottom of that wall about 2-3 ft high. Reason I thought about that wall was because I thought of another display shelf idea that would surround the window. Something in the form of this....
| |__|
|______|__|

Would have to be custom made as well but I'm not sure it would look good, and if it did, I wouldn't know the color I should use. Also it would be mounted to that wall but have full access to those windows and I would have some form of shade made to pull down over the window for viewing the projector. No furniture has been bought. I thought about gaming chairs, but a futon seems like it may be a better option. I am open to all suggestions though and I appreciate you taking the time to help. I was hoping to get a little more feedback with this but I will take anything I can get.

posted Hide Post
I see my little line shelf messed up at post. :/ The |_| above and below the word window, should be over to the right, lined up with those other 3 |_|

posted Hide Post
I'd put low, shallow (maybe 10")shelves under the window on that whole wall and the same height along the whole wall the screen will be on. Where the shelves go past that diagonal corner, I'd make it full height to the ceiling and possibly deeper there if you have things to show that need more depth.

A regular couch and tables on the wall opposite the screen and a couple of ottomans or small chairs in front of the window that can be moved around if you have more people over.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post