Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  Need Help with Living Room Hand Me Downs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help with Living Room Hand Me Downs Sign In/Join 
posted
My husband and I just purchased our first home! We bought our house from his parent. They were gracious enough to leave us all their appliances, furniture, and decorations. I'm struggling turning their house into our home. I've tried to change pictures to us, but it isn't enough. I can't get my mind beyond the way things are "suppose to be".

I want to change the rug, but do not know how to match our brick floors (which will be changed in time). I'd appreciate any direction to an affordable rug or ideas that would look nice. The rug they left us is nice, but I'd like something with a little more color, to brighten things up.

I think that once we have a rug I'll have something to pull from for the curtains and decorations. If anyone has any ideas, please pass them on. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sarah,

Congrats on purchasing a home! How exciting! We would suggest a light rug, maybe with a subtle pattern for inspiration. It would really brighten the room. If you're planning on changing the flooring anyway, don't worry as much about matching the rug to it. Design the room you want and update elements like the floor as money allows! We've found great rugs for affordable prices on www.wayfair.com. Customer service is great too!

Congrats again, good luck!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, congratulations on your home. When I moved into my husband's home, (he gave me free rein) I gradually took all the pictures down, changed the curtains and rearranged some of the furniture. Get some furniture sliders and experiment with furniture arrangements. You never know how a room can look so different with a little paint, new curtains (maybe just take off the valance) and pictures in a different place. Have fun and it will soon look like your home.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It looks like a very nice home to work with!!

As suggested, remove the curtain toppers for starters. Can the TV and stand be placed flat against the nearby wall? Then you can move one of the chairs to the opposite side of the fireplace. The furniture seems to be "lined-up". A softer arrangement can make the room seem warmer.

A large area rug is needed to help tie things together. I would need a solid color so as not to compete with the "brick" pattern.

Remove all pictures and try for pleasing groupings....including things with other textures...

Posts: 3270 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post