Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Find Your Style
  No idea what to do with this room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No idea what to do with this room Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi all! We are looking for some help in deciding what to do with this small room off our dining room. We just got married and moved into this house, but don't know what to do with this room. It is being used basically for storage now - it has two desks and a fish tank in there. We are medical residents, and don't do work in that room because we have such little time together, we usually just do it together on the couch. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with this room? We were thinking maybe something cozy? Maybe make it more condusive to doing work in there? Maybe relaxing area? We are open to most anything.

We'd love some help and some design ideas! The room is a very light beige and there is a very light grey/blue in the dining room leading to this room. I attached pictures so everyone can see. Thanks so much!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is from another view - i have more if you would like!

posted Hide Post
looking out from the room

posted Hide Post
How big is your room? If you do not need the desks, how about two comfy chairs with lamps and tables....make it a "reading area". If you need a desk, pick just one and put a small couch/loveseat on the other wall. Fish tank could move to dining room or if room is big enough on the desk wall. Really need to know the size of your room.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The room is 94.5 inches deep and 140 inches long

posted Hide Post
So about 8x12. It is one of those rooms where you wonder what the builders were thinking, if anything. It would make a guest room (daybed) and reading room by day. Or lined with book shelves, a library. It could be an office.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metwo has a good idea....If you need an office put a desk in there and line the walls with book shelves. If not an office, two comfy chairs with lamps to make a reading room. Aquarium could be in there also since the room is fairly good sized.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much everyone. We have built in bookcases in our family room and they're pretty empty, but I suppose we could put some more bookshelves in there with fun, non-medical books Smile Thanks so much - if anyone has any more ideas or style ideas (color schemes, what size chair(s) would fit/should go in that size room, please let me know!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Consider what your needs are...

Storage space/closet? You can't have enough. If so, add shelves/racks and boxes.

A reading nook?

A study area?

A Murphy bed for guests?

BTW, is there a door? If not, consider solid panel french doors that open to the dining room as a space saving option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would put in maybe a small pull out couch, a chair or two and a end table with a lamp. I would make it a room where you could relax and read or watch T.V. and still be able to house a guest if need be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Yvetteabigail,

Posts: 169 | Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri | Registered: Jan 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
r two and a end table with a lamp. I would make it a room where you could relax and read or watch T.V. and still be able to house a guest

Personally I would consider making it one desk on one side for both chairs and then adding shelving on the other side..would that work with the spacing?

Best of luck. Smile

------------------------------------------
Unique collections of restoration style maps for a beautiful addition to your home decor!
http://restorationmaps.com

Posts: 18 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see no need to do anything with that room, general clean up will make that alive, put ornaments and the door would look perfect if it is made of glass doors.

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: Apr 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post