Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Buy House and Revert Garage Back to Garage??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buy House and Revert Garage Back to Garage?? Sign In/Join 
posted
Going up to the cape to look at a house that seems to have everything I want. It is a Cape with a dormer for the 2nd floor bedrooms (3) , a breezeway off the the side of the house that leads to what was once a 2 car garage. They then built a 1 door, 2 car garage on the back of the prperty. I reall want an attached garage for those Massachusetts winters. It looks like they added a kitchem nand living area on the first level and then added a Going up to the Cape to look at a house that seems to have everything I want. It is a Cape with a dormer for the 2nd floor bedrooms (3) , a breezeway off the side of the house that leads to what was once a 2 car garage. They then built a 1 door, 2 car garage on the back of the property. I really want an attached garage for those Massachusetts winters. It looks like they added a kitchen and living area on the first level and then added a beautiful wood staircase that matches the 1956 main house wood staircase that goes up to 2 very small bedrooms and a bathroom. The house is priced much lower than a lot of the surrounding ones - mainly because the others are oceanfront. Would it be totally stupid to consider turning the first floor back to a garage?? I can make use of the detached garaged for my BFs welding business

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Keep house hunting. Removing liveable square footage is rarely a good financial move.

Plus, before you make firm plans to have your BF's welding business on property be sure that having it in a residential neighborhood isn't against the CC&R's of that subdivision.

Posts: 8201 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure i understand. The garage that was formally attached by a breezeway has been turned into what?

Well, it probably doesn't matter(that I don't understand) as this is a local matter. You should talk to your realtor. It depends what is generally wanted in your area. We don't live there and don't know.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes Metwo. the house had a 2 car garage that became attached to the mail house by an open, covered breezeway. Breezeway is still open but they converted the garage into a 2 bedroom guest house, inlaw apt- whatever. Guess I have to see the house and not let my panic mode set in- you know, better buy this in case nothing better comes along

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a little confused, too. Is the converted garage the main/only living space?

I share everyone's concerns about eliminating living space. In general, garage space isn't as highly valued (on a per s.f. basis) as living space. OTOH, if this will be your forever home and possibly remain in your family, do you care?

IME, on the Cape, many people only summer so they're not as concerned about the Mass winters. Unfortunately, they might not value garage space more highly than living space.

If the converted garage is a second/add'l living area with a supplemental kitchen, was the home used as a vacation rental or regular income property? If so, your re-conversion could significantly lower the value of the property.

All RE is local so definitely agree that you should consult your Cape realtor.

Good Luck!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, Sandlance, we previously posted simultaneously so I didn't see your explanation that the former garage is a second unit.

If it was rented, I would request the rent roll and other records - unless you have no intention of ever using it as either a vacation property or regular income property and don't care.

OTOH, it's something to consider, b/c the gross annual rent typically determines the value of income properties. If not used as an income property, the valuation may significantly drop.

Although I agree with you that oceanfront (or not, as the case may be) is key WRT beach or vacation properties, other factors can also signficantly affect value, IMHO.

Good Luck!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Sometimes you just need to put your thoughts down in writing and have others with no agenda answer you. I think I was trying to force fit the house into my wants and needs. I will take a look at it next week, but probably will wisely pass on it. BTW the house I buy is the final home as I am leaving the D.c. area after 30 years to retire back home- yup - retiring to the cold and snow.

posted Hide Post
Well, Sandlance, no reason to give up a weekend expedition with your Mom ~ even if you aren't really interested in this property after all. Go, have fun and let us all know how it turns out... Cool

PS. Sounded like the converted garage might have made a good place for your Mom (know that wasn't what you asked) but the trip, itself, might create some memories ~ go for it!

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also think that turning the first floor back to a garage is no use. But we can only give you advice and the choice is only yours. Think it over many times before doing.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad I listen to everyone. Found a house with the 2 car garage and everything else I wanted. Moving Wednesday if I can clear out all the cra**p in time!

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on finding the right home.

I was going to post that from a different perspective, most of my buyers want and expect an attached garage and would be less than pleased with a detatched garage. While the in-law apartment sounds good on paper, we all know the in-laws are going to have issues with the stairs.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post