Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Houston House Hunt, On my list
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston House Hunt, On my list Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
So I am hoping that REL will take a look at this house that has made my Husbands heart go pitter patter and Mine as well. I love it. He's going to look at it tomorrow with the Realtor. I'm still here in MS and sent him the link. Now here is the deal for me: It's a one story and just over 2800 sq feet. It has HUGE Den, Living Room, Game Room and Study. However, It only has 2 LARGE bedrooms. I'm more concerned about resale in 12 years when H retires. This is not our forever home. I asked him to see if the study has enough room to add a closet and to see how big the one wall area is to accommodate a queen bed. Also, check out the property History REL and let me know what you think. It's kinda purdy! But with just two Bed, this really kills the buyer pool down the road when that day comes for us to sell.

http://www.realtor.com/realest...9_M82748-64566?row=1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rubyruby,

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Never mind Pitter Patter... it's VA VA Boom! Wow love it...however~~~let's breakdown this property~~~~

Listed at 1 bedroom on Public Records. We know that is not the case, but was work done without permit? Don't panic --ourthouse staffs are not up to date in recording info here-might be same elsewhere .

Some people do home repair expansion without a permit because they don't want to pay extra taxes. Just check it out.

If work was done without permit, could come back to bite you. Have your Realtor do a permit search, and YOU should review the sellers disclosure for details. The seller's property disclosure is a 3-4 page questionaire answered by the seller to the best of their knowledge.

Ironically, the Realtor listing is listed as a 2 BR/2BR and that works in your favor, as buyer traffic is hindered as a result.

Interesting because the listing also list a den and a study, and worth putting a closet in for the seller to call a bedroom. However may be a window issue as well.
Talk to your Realtor about it.

Speaking of Realtors, hope you have your own agent and didn't call off the sign. Remember that's the sellers agent, and may be adverse to your goals.

As far as price, have your Realtor check sold COMPS with you and no, ..a 3 BR with same Sq. ftg. is not necessarily a comp. This will help your offer position.

When you make your offer here's the reason "IT'S ONLY A 2 BEDROOM". Practice the "Power of Repetition" -repeat that phase over and over during your negotiation process.

Of course you know there are other rooms there you will, in future, turn into BR's if needed. BUT think about how much competition are you going to have for a 2 BR over $300,000. I think you 're in a bargaining position. If the comps are close to listed price, you can even start as low at mid two's, but make sure you know where in line the comps are SOLD price wise, so you know what you are comfortable in going up to with your offer.

Be sure to check out air, oil and mineral rights. This can vary county to county-state to state countrywide.
Lastly, does the home back up to a Pkwy? That's the name of the road behind this house. Check that traffic out if so. Parkways can be a two lane street and and 8 lane freeway.

There is a great website "homefacts", which will give you additional info about any subject property from s** pr**ators to area pollutants. Allyou have to do is type in the address,town,city,state and zip.

The home is a little "out yonder" for me according to the map, so check out nearest town etc.

All in all... I would live there in a second if everything checks out, but would start low in the offer stage..remember "Power of Repetition".

If you are unsure about anything..make it a contingency in the offer..i.e "this contract is contingent upon septic tank and drain field inspection..as an example.

Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9181 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
One other issue I have with the house that seems to be designed for entertaining - it only has 2 bathrooms. Does it have room to add a half bath.

When visiting the house - think about the floor plan. When looking at the den/study can you convert it to a bedroom? Where is it located in regards to the 2nd bath? If the house is a split plan and the den/study is on the same side as the master, then it would probably need its own bath.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ruby,ruby, All I can say is what a gorgeous, gorgeous house and place! There is no way that place would be priced at $319K here in Idaho - it would be much more so looks like Texas has some really goods deals in real estate from the buyers side, anyway! Smile

As for re-sale re only a two bedroom? Well, I think it helps to segregrate types of houses. For example, the typical 3/2 in a cookie-cutter subdivision type houses and then the houses built and aimed for a market of "adults" - meaning couples without children such as yourselves and I believe that market will only grow in the coming years as the Boomer Market expands.

Bottom line, I think the number of bedrooms isn't really as big of a problem as you might be thinking BUT I do have to wonder about the number of bathrooms. Only 2 for a house this size? Is the one (other than the master bedroom) centrally located?

I understand that this won't be your forever home but think you might have a lot of fun there in the next 12 years until dh's retirement so I think I would go for it and not worry about re-sale and appealing to a market that isn't compatible with this property.

So what did your dh think after his tour today? Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
EVerybody! Excellent points...especially on the bathrooms. Hubby boo boo saw it....poopooed it. Realtor loved it! But said it was def custom and had a very very bad flow, there was no bathroom entry apart from bedrooms. Lot was issue for Husband...and we both knew it was more than we want to spend. Purdy indeed. oh well...I'll keep sending her my pitter patters. She's a referred agent from a very old dear friend who lives in Houston REL. I love her via only the phone. Hubby met her and said she was GREAT. Happy about this! Do you guys want to see what I've sent to the realtor? I'll share. Unfortunately they are snatched up a few days after me finding. A little scared about the inventory as school is about to start. but that my work in our favor. Keeping a PMA. 7 days till closing, Lot is sold.....should be in Houston by the 24th at the latest. Smile me a happy camper! Idaho...girlfriend, you are so right....about living and loving it for the next 12 years. THat is totally being taken into consideration. I'd love to find a fixer...as in stuff I can do myself at under 200k with a pool and they are on the mls...older but with great bones. we are willing to put some money into it if the price is right to make it our own and reap the proceeds when we go to sell. Smile)))

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, rubyruby, that this wasn't the one after your dh toured it ~ but the good news is that you have so many choices ahead and the freedom to make them. Have fun whether it is a fixer-upper or a beautiful place to sit back and enjoy during the next 12 years. I hope you find a special place that both you and dh love! Cool

posted Hide Post
oh, poo - I really loved that house. I would low ball big time . Never know. I mean it is a potential 4 BR with den and study right? Bamboo floors are gorgeous!

posted Hide Post
Wow, from the photos, all I can say is, wow! Definitely gorgeous!

Ok, keep us posted. :-)

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
This house:

http://www.realtor.com/realest...-10084?cid=EML300211

Though it needs some updating (as in stripping wallpaper and possibly painting wood trim)gave me a pitter patter. Kitchen is very cool with the wood ceilings...updated too! Huge rooms, private yard with nice Pool. Large master on main. I hope it's still on the market when I get to town. It's been on market since may31st. Not sure why it's not sold. Like it alot!

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really like that house! The rooms are enormous!!!! Yes, new paint, new flooring, and your furnishings will make it spectacular! That is a great price, too!!!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a fabulous house. Looks like it has very generous sized room and good flow. I love the foyer- very classy. Hope it's there for you.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rubyruby, all I can say is "WOW" - I can't believe what $265K buys in Texas right now; this house would be much more (just like the last one) in Idaho BUT do have a few reservations...

Yes, it is a "wow" house but is it the type of house where you and dh are looking to spend your next 12 years in? I'm wondering... If you are simplying looking for a wonderful home w/h pool and space ~ this has it.

But I'm thinking that the "space" might just be over the top with more space you necessarily want or need unless part of dh's new position includes "at home" entertaining.

So, rubyruby, if you were to buy this house, would you feel comfortable there? If not, keep looking! Wonderful to have so many choices! Cool

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
It is a lot of house but the secondary bedrooms are not that large. So very large public spaces. It is also $65,000 above your preferred price. Wink

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
It's more house than we need.But we will have a lot of out of town guest visit. A pool and a large game room for our pool table are prerequisite. I've found just a few that are under 2500, but they have very little yard and I need to play in the dirt/garden. I will have to go see all the one's i've sent to realtor. Pictures can be deceiving. We are approved for 350k. Husband would probably like it better if we bought brand new and spend more. Where as I want to spend less, use my elbow grease and update it. I wouldn't pay full price for the house. I'd go in alot lower than 265k. It was appraised at 237k in 2012. Yes, I love to entertain. I've not been able to do this very much in the town I'm in. We just didn't connect with any other couples that we enjoyed and wanted to spend time with. I've met H's whole crew and no doubt we will be doing a heck of a lot more social activities. Half my High school buddies live in Houston. So Yes, I see some empty nester Juking going on! Just keep your fingers crossed it still available.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
You are correct about photos - the kitchen is pretty cool looking - but I'm not sure about the layout. The master bath would be a drawback to me with the tub in the middle of the floor - but that is personal preference. I do love houses with the 2nd floor loft area - just opens things up.

The other problem I see - if you like to play in the dirt the lot at 8800 sq ft is less than 1/4 acre.

Has your agent sent you a list of potentials or are all of these houses you've found?

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I've sent her houses and both my H's and my wish list. If anything, it gives her an indication of what I'm willing to accept as far as updating. I agree about the yards. We really wanted to be on .50 acres plus. But, the catch twenty two is you have to go further north to find such animals. He needs a max commute in peak traffic 0f 45 minutes to make it Bush International should he be on call. He has his apt in Kingwood. I've been out twice and I LOVE the area and it's a perfect commute. I have found another hood twenty minutes north with 1 acre lots...no inventory left, everything has sold. We would go for a .25 lot if there is mature shrubs and trees that make it private. H's biggest thing with the pool is being next to a house that has a window peering down into the yard. doesn't matter if your on a 1 acre lot, if there is a two story house, their will be a view. Not wanting yapping dogs nor screaming kids, but we can't control that either.
The one thing that I keep in my head is that all the homes I've sent to her over the last week or so are no longer available. This last one will be snatched up pretty fast. Although it's been on the market a lot longer than others. Most go under contract with in 48 hours of being listed. So fast that the pictures don't even get put up. Crazy! Excited just the same! Oh, forgot to mention. I am not a fan of garages that are on the front of the house. I would rather a side load or like most in Houston, detached and to the rear of the house. I'm silly like that!

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
this is what you get for under 200k

http://www.realtor.com/realest..._M86615-94467?row=26

This one is nice: I see good bones inside.

http://www.realtor.com/realest..._M79667-74209?row=47

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous: No Pool...at high end of our budget.add 40k for pool...but i love the outdoor fireplace and kitchen SWEEEEEEET. Hubby would love!

Sent Hubby the link and he Loved it too. We put an option pending on it for 12 days. I'll be out of pocket only 120.00. I'll see it on the 23rd, Hubby in town on 25th so we will go look together on 26th if I find it worthy of dragging him to lookyloo. Otherwise, we pull the plug and continue the search. The house had 20 showing over the weekend. It would have been gone so this is a way for us to "hold" it for a few days until we can see in person. I love what I see....love love.

house on septic tank...pros/cons??? never had a house w one

http://www.realtor.com/realest..._M83961-96025?row=26

posted Hide Post
I like the first one...still.

posted Hide Post
rubyruby, Just had the chance to check out the latest "possible" ~ mixed feeling here. First, the price ~ way over budget PLUS add in the cost of a pool (and not sure there is room for one) and the pretty "taste specifc" flooring throughout the kitchen/living areas? No, not for me, think I would give it a pass....

So are you looking for an "all-done" place - what is the price range? Or, a "fixer" as you have often talked about - price range? Seems like you are at both ends of the spectrum - might be easier if you decide on which way you and your dh want to go...

But, it is fun to have options! Keep posting any new listing you come across and you know we'll keep commenting! BTW, that last one? I really didn't like it ~ bedrooms were quite small and the outside area quite cramped but, that's just IMHO. You know we love checking out the listings.... Cool

posted Hide Post
Hmm, definitely a difficult choice. I like the kitchen better in the most recent link, even with that flooring, but the first house has a hollywood mansion sort of a look on the outside and some of the rooms on the inside, that just does it for me.

This is fun. Are you enjoying it?

posted Hide Post
The location of a septic tank affects the placement of a pool so check that out as you consider this house. When we put in our pool, there was only one location on our acre lot that the county would approve a pool because of the septic system.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Ruby, I think at this point you have a specific style that is really making your heart go pitter patter. It is a gorgeous style that makes my heart pitter patter also! At this point you and your hubby should discuss renting for 6 months while you are on the ground locally searching for The house.

What are some of the listing your agent has sent to you to look over? Are you on the same vibe?

posted Hide Post
Good point Charming is bringing up re renting, however, just one thought.. I would check the marketplace and see the pace of prices rising. You may be able to find this on some local media source sites. A local Board of Realtors in town
should have info regarding current price index, supply and demand, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
OMGosh....I'm here, finally this day has happened! long drive, horrible weather, cat screaming next to me despite the benedryl....I dosed her light. Eartha Kitty is NEEDY and so out of sorts. But, Houston...We have landed. Start my house search in a.m. I'll journal the journey here. FWIW, The whole selling process will forever leave me scarred............Truly, the most messed up saga of my life. onward and upward. wow, surreal! long day, wine time and chilling out! whooofreakingwhoooooo!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Glad you have arrived. But PLEASE, slow down and look at a lot more...even if you "think" they don't fit your "style"...you might be surprised and find a real jewel!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4310 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
happy for you, enjoy the looking if it is too stressful, do rent, cheaper than a bad decision.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I found it...has everything on our must have list. small lot, but very private. We've made an offer and it was accepted.

http://search.har.com/engine/3...7345_HAR17264365.htm

it's more house than we needed, but...we couldn't get what we wanted going smaller. I love it..fell in love when I went outside. It's got a nice size green house on the side of the house attached to the fence and the house.

Hubby will see it on tomorrow or sunday. He has seen all the pics and loves it. but we still have 10 days to back out of the deal. Onto inspections and appraisal next week. We'll close on August 29th, allowing them to stay for 3 days to finish getting moved. They are an older couple.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful! I love the kitchen cabinets. Great job!

posted Hide Post
Love it congratulations!

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Wow....what a fabulous house!!!! Congrats!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous home. Think you hit the jackpot with this one. Bet you wish it was September so you can move in.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, rubyruby, what a gorgeous. gorgeous home! So happy for you! See, I told you that going through all the misery selling in MS would pay off....

And, by the way, you are going to need all that room to put all of us up since I think everyone will be headed your way - okay, we will have to have a lotter*y and agree to take turns! Smile

Wonderful find ~ crossing fingers for a smooth closing. Keep us up-dated. Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Thanks IR and everybody who has followed my saga! We are going to be so happy in Houston. I have fallen in love with the area of Kingwood. It's beautiful trees and greenspace abounds. It's Charming indeed. So close to Hubbyboo boo's commute. He's on his way home from AZ as I type..In the air! Now if the stress that my being has endured can regenerate so I don't look like I've aged the ten years that it appears to me when I look into a mirror. Frown(((( amazing what stress will do to the body. Onward and upward!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ruby! Glad you found something you love. Also glad to see that neither the dishwasher nor the oven is next to the fridge!!!
Now, on to furniture shopping?????????? Big Grin

I agree w/Idaho...we are ALL coming for a visit.
Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4310 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Hey Ruby, something you need to go see in your new area. Guess it has turned into quite a tourist attraction.

http://news.yahoo.com/beer-bee...dmark-081452646.html

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Congrtatulations, beautiful house, I am always surprised at the prices in Texas.

Posts: 4902 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
almost to the finish line.......a few hickups on the lot sale in North Ms.........hope it's rectified by friday. Hubby not nearly as pitter patter heart wise on house. but.........this one is all about me! Smile it has all we wanted and the prices are going crazy here. appraisal came in on the mark. comp sent today by reator on exact floorplan in same n'hood without pool for same price. Market is on fire.

posted Hide Post
Oh, congrats, Rubyruby! That is one fabulous house and I am definitely coming for a visit! You don't mind, do you?

Ok, keep us posted until everything is all settled and you've moved in.

posted Hide Post
It is beautiful.. with many custom features, Ruby.

The kitchen counter look like Corian/soapstone.. if so, careful re staining.

Good job!

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
REL, it is corian and I'm going to be pulling it out and replacing with granite down the road. The only con on this house was that the bathroom fixtures and the appliances in the kitchen are out of date. I'll make those improvements down the road. Until then, it's perfectly livable!

posted Hide Post
When you are ready you may be able to sell that corian counter top, and put that money toward your new one. Just a thought, Ruby.

So happy everything is working out for you, and sounds like you had a good agent out there in Texas.

posted Hide Post
Hi,

Sounds like a great place. If you are looking for professional opinions on this you could also use RESAAS, a platform where only official realtors answer questions. Maybe give that a go here: http://rebla.st/qbxxhkt

Hope it helps! Smile

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post