Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  How is the Market in Your area?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the Market in Your area? Sign In/Join 
posted
Thought it'd be nice to have an update from everyone.

The market here in my area (southern CA) seems to be climbing rapidly. Gosh, what a difference a year, actually, a few months, make. Just a couple of months ago, smaller houses about 1300 SF were going for $280-300k or so, maybe a little higher. Now they are being listed from 375-399k. Not sure what they're actually selling at but there is little inventory and they go into pending quickly.

How is your area doing?

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The market in west Mi has been steadily improving. We sold our home in Feb( unlisted) to someone looking for lakefront property, who met our asking price and we had no quibbles from the buyers over anything. Since we saved $18,000+ in realtor fees we were very happy. I'm sure that if we had listed it we would have had multiple offers, but then I would have had to de clutter and depersonalize before listing, which I didn't have to do.

Posts: 3139 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations mamaspoon! It is not all about the money. Sometimes the ease of the transaction makes up for a lot.

In northern AR the sales are picking up a bit but not the prices. In northern MN it is nonexistent as snow is still on the ground. Will have to wait till spring arrives before people think about moving to the lake.

Posts: 7105 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish the Charlotte market would recover faster. My house is still worth less than I owe, but going up slowly. Want to move, so praying for a faster recovery.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the lower MI inventory is dropping, prices are creeping up, often there are multiple offers but the appraisals are holding down prices somewhat.

Posts: 519 | Location: mi, usa | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our market in Austin has never been really "bad". My home is now worth about what I paid for it 7 years ago so I'm not too unhappy. The home I sold in Phoenix area to move here dropped in value over $100k so I got out just in time. Heard this morning on the radio that prices are on the way back up with the Phoenix market leading at something like 23%(I think). Friend in Calabasas Calif put her home on the market and had 9 offers by the second day.
So - things are getting back a little bit in many areas but there are still a lot of people upside down. I hope we've all learned from this and will never again buy homes at the top of our "just because we can" limit.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for professional opinions on this you could also use RESAAS, a platform where only official realtors answer questions. Give that a go here: http://rebla.st/qbxxhkt

Hope it helps! Smile

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Florida still recouperating, I am sure many areas depending on where they are at, are better than others, in the Panhandle as usual not too much movement of appreciation.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceilmac:
If you are looking for professional opinions on this you could also use RESAAS, a platform where only official realtors answer questions. Give that a go here: http://rebla.st/qbxxhkt

Hope it helps! Smile

No one is going to click on your link. I looked you up on LinkedIn and was not impressed.

PS - most of us are in the US and your company seems to have a major Canadian presence.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3564 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lakelark:
In the lower MI inventory is dropping, prices are creeping up, often there are multiple offers but the appraisals are holding down prices somewhat.

Same here. Inventory has been reduced so prices are creeping up but nowhere near where they were at the height of the market before the bubble burst. Think it will probably take another couuple of years (while construction starts again) to get back to "usual" but usual will never again be the inflated prices we saw back then.....

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post