Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Septic Inspection Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I am new here, but I really need some help. We are looking at a home in Illinois. We have a dual agent. (starting to think bad idea) From this dual agent we have heard the seller has no money to fix anything. she is old and her husband died..etc...

Well seller from day one has said she has had the septic worked on but it is working fine now. This came from the sellers mouth.

Today is the septic inspection. The seller goes up to the inspector with our agent and informs him that this is being sold as is, and I am not fixing anything that is wrong. REALLY can a seller go up to the inspector and say this????? For now our concern is will the inspection be correct or doesn't matter because it is beiing sold as is.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspector should give you a thorough report on septic regardless of what seller said. Inspector works for you. If any doubts arise, ask seller for paperwork on any repairs or work done on system. Don't accept anything you're not comfortable with as septic systems are very costly.

Posts: 3107 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the inspector works for the "seller" even thou buyer is buying for inspection?

I just want to know if there are any problems with the septic system. So we can base our price on it if need be.

Just want to make sure the inspector does an inspection no matter if it is sold as is, or whatever.

posted Hide Post
No, the insector does not. work for the seller. If you hired him and are paying him, he works for you

Posts: 6978 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are the buyers. We asked the seller for septic inspection with her buying for it.

posted Hide Post
Then the inspector works for her. BUT that does not mean you will get a bad inspection. The inspector should report what he sees. But remember that an inspector (regardless of who hires him/her) can only tell you so much. The plumbing is in the walls. It is doubtful he will camera them. And he can not check the field as far as I know.

I would be curious to know what "had the septic worked on" means. Did she have it pumped? Did she have the line out of the house cleaned? Or what?

Posts: 6978 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspector. came out. And said- there are cracks in the tile. it has a single tile cirstern which is illegal. there are no ledge beds. But what got me was he said he wasn't going to file report. with health dept. for it would throw a red flag and it be shut down until new system was put in
Can seller still sell a house that has an illegal septic

posted Hide Post
Yes. But you will have to repair it after buying.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klessen:
Can seller still sell a house that has an illegal septic

Depends upon your state/county/local regulations. Don't know about IL but in some areas, an as-is sale doesn't apply to septic.

Besides any future repair/replacement costs, this is a critical health and environmental issue. All the parties involved s/b concerned about potential legal liability, IMHO.

I would call your local health department and speak with an inspector about the issues discovered during the inspection. If the inspector certified it inappropriately, his/her license may be at risk. BTW, doesn't matter who was paying the fee, IMHO.

Upon remediation, a contractor would lien the property and typically receive payment out of the seller's proceeds.

Did you have a regular home inspection, besides septic? Does your contract contain the appropriate contingencies?

Good Luck!

Posts: 480 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post