Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Purchasing a home and small children
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing a home and small children Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
I posted on another topic and decided it should have its own space.

How far do "some" people go these days to keep their children safe at home. Many things parents are almost required to do was unheard of when I was a child many decades ago and almost unheard of or considered "trendy" when my nephews were growing up, still a number of decades ago.

So, do you make an investment in a home based on the needs of a 2 year old, or for the long haul?

What are YOUR concerns when looking at a house and small children will be living there?

For example - this is not about a house, but an insane parent (IMHO) issue. We visited a local state park that crosses a marsh area. The roadway has a separate walking path with a concrete barrier on the road side and a handrail on the water side. Two children were walking on the path to get a better look at the water creatures (birds and an old alligator) Traffic was at an almost standstill because the parents were following along behind the children in their SUV. Roll Eyes It is a perfectly safe walking path with parking at one end. The children were school age and should have enough common sense to walk on a sidewalk with out stepping into traffic or jumping over the rail. At least I would hope. If you do not think your children are smart enough to accomplish that, why not park the car and walk behind them?

This incident reminded me of the HH shows where they can't have stairs, they can't have a fireplace, they can't have parents on a separate floor, kids play area must be in view of the kitchen..... The list seems to get longer with each episode I watch. Growing up in the era of "don't come home til dinner time" much of this seems somewhat extreme to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are your helicopter parents who don't allow their children to make mistake, or hea*ven forbid fail at something. These neurotic parents have to micromanage everything. Sad, sad.

Posts: 3102 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
This incident reminded me of the HH shows where they can't have stairs, they can't have a fireplace, they can't have parents on a separate floor, kids play area must be in view of the kitchen..... The list seems to get longer with each episode I watch. Growing up in the era of "don't come home til dinner time" much of this seems somewhat extreme to me.

I'm with you, Charming. So many of these house hunters seem to think their kids will eternally be 2 and 4 years old. So many of the problems they have against certain houses will be non-issues when their kids are a year or two older.

One of the last HH I watched was a couple where the husband wanted a home with a catwalk overlooking the family room. The wife was freaking out because she thought a catwalk would be a danger to the children. Since *my* home has a catwalk and my two kids managed to grow up uninjured despite it, I thought she was being ridiculous.

I've actually shouted at the TV at house hunters who insist on blacklisting any house where the master is separate from the secondary bedrooms. Have they never heard of baby monitors?

The ONLY home feature I wouldn't be crazy about if I had really young kids and was planning to have more is a circular staircase. *I* find them hard to navigate and can't imagine feeling comfortable having little ones try to navigate those stairs alone. Besides, I imagine they'd be a pain to carry loads of laundry up and down.

Posts: 8199 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great post. I tell people all the time, "you know they will grow up". I am more of a person who bases my purchases or rentals on what do I need right now. I have a young child, but I'm getting to the age where steps are a problem, so despite my son hating ranch houses, TOUGH LUCK!! The kids will adapt. There are gates and monitors and other things to keep the kids safe.

Posts: 1147 | Location: pa | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think these people just don't want to watch their children, let alone teach them.

My son was taught that the fireplace was hot and he never went near it. He never fell out of the upstairs low windows, ...sigh: some parents today are just too busy tweeting or whatever!!!

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I used to think that way, When I had two children,and saw any child having a public tamtrum, MY first reaction was, "well, I guess the mother does not know how to control the children".My children never do that.
Then came along my third child, sweet little girl that had a superv tamtrum in every single mall of the City of St Luis. I used to see her sitting in the floor screaming and yelling as if she was being killed. sometime I would walk away as to not recognize that that child was mine.
There was no difference in rearing, but that child was different from my other two. She had her own personality and eventually she learned how to behave.
The lesson that I learned,is not to criticize any mother, and to be more humble in my expectation especiallly about other childrens.

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post