Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Offically...the move is ON!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offically...the move is ON! Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I think there absolutely should be the caravan for other agents to view the home and also get a feel of the neighborhood. All the homes in this neighborhood are different. There are 2 homes with the same layout in Phase 1 and 2. The new phase 3, that is almost finished, has smaller homes with different elevations 2 or 3 different plans. All have 2200 sq feet + another 200 sq feet for the finished FROG/Bonus.

Pictures were added to the site as well as the new property detail. (she kept her "you're going to love this house" in the jargon) Thats fine, at least it has more details. Smile

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rubyruby, I haven't posted back since the update you posted .... the written description has a number of errors and, no, spell check, won't fix them.

Looking forward to the rest of the photographs that will replace the ones currently posted...

As always, good wishes and good luck! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
pix are better- good job Ruby.

Broker opens (caravans old lingo) ...are popular here...food works!

Posts: 9191 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
We've had 2 showing since being on the market. Granted it's still early and kids are still in school. Realtor is getting a couple builders in the neighborhood to go in with her to have the caravan soon. We've got 3 new builds in this n'hood and 5 lots lefts. One lot in which we own. That's a whole other bag of worms that I won't bore y'all with right now. Oh and I asked her if she was going to put flyers out. She told me that she feels like flyers are a waste and hinder traffic. I can't remember the reasoning as it escapes me...but I saw her point. I guess if people are driving around and they see something they can find it on the many listing sites. So this is where we are.

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems some confusion in caravan and agent open houses. Back in the day and yes some offices even still do them today who have floor duty "in the office". After the weekly office meeting, cars line up for the "caravan".
In present day, in our area, agent of the day ie floor duty takes calls via their cell phone, goes to what ever agent open houses they want, and sometimes go to the weekly sales meeting, if the office has one.

With office to office competition in grabbing agents offering better splits, I think Brokers have scaled back in the required office meeting, caravan, and "floor duty" in the office. THJ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
showing on Sunday to a couple empty nesters about the same age as us. Have friends who already live in the hood (bonus). They apparently have driven by the house several times and love the outside. Keep fingers crossed. I'm a bit annoyed with our realtor's communication style. She must not check emails nor work on the weekends Frown. The house next to our sold. Would have loved to have just had the phone ring to say btw, house next door sold for xxx. I'm not high maintenance but a call once a week regardless of whatever would be a bonus. Am I being unreasonable in my head?

posted Hide Post
Not a realtor here, Ruby, but I don't think your realtor can tell you the price until it has closed escrow.

But overall, sounds like your realtor needs to communicate better with you.

Best wishes on the showing. Too excited!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Very disappointed in the traffic thus far...again, I have to chalk it up to kids still in school. We did have a showing today. Hubby said he saw the realtor and fella leaving but one of them was taking a bunch of pics (probably to show wife or whomever). No feedback from realtor as of yet. Probably will have a second viewing on this prospect. Objectives: small walkin his/her closets. My husbands is almost empty now as he's packed a lot of his. I've put alot of my winter clothes in other closets too. So Mine is not jammed packed, but it never really was. So...small dining, Small closets in master are a hiccup. I had a huge custom built cabinet for the master bathroom made when we first moved in. Tons of storage, drawers etc. I have ONE...yep ONE linen closet in this silly house. It's almost bare too as I've packed what was not used into boxes. We got a storage unit where I've taken several loads of stuff. 3 weeks now on the market. The house next door JUST SOLD after being on the market for 4 months. The market here is actually doing well. People are moving from Memphis, but those people are having a hard time selling their homes. We have a wonderful school system here so that is a bonus. I'm hanging in here...all is good.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Realtor called and left message that the guy that viewed house on Sunday fell in love. He and wife are transferring here for a job. Will be back in town in 3 weeks for wife to look. Keeping fingers crossed!

posted Hide Post
Well that is good news Ruby. Please make sure your agent is up to date on comps...and remember a comp is "like" kind. Adjustments have to be made for sq. footage, improvements etc. Appraisers will go outside of the neighborhood..to comp neighborhoods, if there are not enough comps in the current neighborhood.

The only reason I suggested a closet in the bonus room is because it most likely will open up a bigger "buyer pool" to those families needing an extra bedroom. Rather a small investment for a larger return in exposure in my opinion. I would check with the local building authority to see what minimum size is required.

Please don't get your hopes up and gear in on one focused buyer, rather concentrate on the "product" to draw more interest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Thanks REL. Yeah, there could be a nice size walkin over the garage. My Husband and I talked about this months ago. Doable, and i'll consider down the road having one made.

posted Hide Post
Walk in not necessary, just check on required minimum size with local county building authority. Keep cost down. This strategy has worked for my sellers with bonus rooms and offices.

posted Hide Post
Sometime's it's easy (and meets your local building requirements) to simply build in an Ikea closet.

Glad to hear everything's been going so well for you, Ruby. Best of luck!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
We are driving to Houston on this coming Thursday. H starts his Job on Monday 29th and I will be flying home on Sunday 28th. I'm flustered. I've asked my DH for several months to get the boat running and have his coworker come get it. Well, we are down to the last minutes and today he tells me that it needs a new starter. And....wait for this....He does electrical work on jets, he has wired several houses...he's wired our detached garage. he knows code. He's run some whizbang stuff for our security system. All I asked...all I asked was that it be to code. I found out today, that he totally jimmy rigged some wiring in our bedroom so as to have all the plugs to the t.v hidden. He informs me today that it won't pass code. He's Friggin asleep on the couch. We were supposed to leave on Monday, then got pushed back to Tuesday...Now Thursday because he's run out of time. Add to this: His garage/manspace. where he has so much crap....so many many tools. I've asked him for the last month to at the minimum put his big tools in the proper hard cases. Not done...and has decided he wants to pack all his other stuff because he's afraid they might "walk off" during the move. Did I mention he's asleep snoring on the couch? We have a showing today at 5. I'm so annoyed because I...ME...By myself will have to deal with this grrrrrrr. Momma aint happy. Vent over.

posted Hide Post
I hear you, rubyruby, and totally understand your frustration right now! Big Grin

I'm sure your dh is exhausted from all of the anxiety about transferring/selling/moving BUT so are you... So deep breath. Then, do what I do ~ I've been married for over 37 years (first marriage for both of us) and it works for us but can't say it will work for you. You decide.

But the one way I get my dh up and going is to simply start doing it myself after giving him notice... For example, in your case, go out in the garage and start packing the tools up yourself and make a call to an electrician to come fix the "not-to-code" work in the bedroom. Be sure to give dh plenty of notice before the time of the appointment so he has time to do it himself if he so chooses...

Have to say it works both ways ~ my dh would never ask me to do laundry and/or clean out the freezer (things that I have taken on) but when he starts doing it himself, I know that I have dropped the ball on my own self-imposed duties.

Might be that your dh will react the same? Good luck ~ keep posting. Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
drove to Houston with my man....he's staying in a hotel for 30 days paid............he started work today. I got back on Sunday eve....same ole same ole....we had a showing over the weekend. Not hear boo from our realtor. my door was not locked correctly. you have to kinda jiggle it so the bolt goes into the jam...but all good. I'm just perplexed....not to hear boo from realtor. Not happy, and not sure what to do. I', sure the documents we signed were for six months. we didnt look. but i'm not happy with the whole thing. or...,maybe i'm asking too much? a phone call, a email a text............not happy. grrrrrr

posted Hide Post
Yes, I think a good realtor calls the other realtor to ask for feedback on the property?

posted Hide Post
Why don't you have a locksmith out to house to work on lock or replace it so it locks correctly with no jiggling involved. Unless it was your Realtor personally showing the house, then she probably hadn't been in contact yet with the showing agent. Usually there's a lag time of several days after a showing for feedback between agents unless there's a specific question that needs to be answered.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ruby, you don't need a locksmith to fix the door lock. A carpenter or good handyman can do it. Sounds like all it needs is a shim shingle behind the door jam on one side or the other to adjust the height so that both sides "mesh". If I were closer, I'd come fix it for you! I've done lots of them in houses we rented over the years. Big Grin

ETA...it happens often as houses settle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4397 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, rubyruby, any news yet from your agent about last weekend's showing?

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
yes IR, She emailed me some sheet that shows feedback about the property. Potential buyer loves house and is number 1 on his list. All positive but said price was a bit high. My realtor will have a second showing to the fella who saw house on April 6th. He will view with his wife. Hoping we have multiple offers soon. Ready to be with my Man and get on with life. Smile thanks for asking Idaho!

posted Hide Post
Ruby- get that lock fixed. Jiggle problems is not an excuse for not viewing! ( forewarning)

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Just can't believe we are having 1 showing per week and usually on Sat or Sunday. Please tell me things will pick up when school is officially out for the summer?!! I miss my Husband!

posted Hide Post
rubyruby, So showings have slowed down to one a week ~ not bad, over-all, but with no offers yet, what does your realtor say?

I know you were hoping to get a fast sell and join your dh in Houston soon. Cool

posted Hide Post
Any news, rubyruby? Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
thanks for checking on me IR. almost fired my agent per my hubby. as she was very lax in responding if at all to correspondance. all good. slow...hoping it will be on the rise soon. no news to tell! thanks again.

have realtor caravan next tuesday. fyi.
ruby

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I'm at work...the realtor caravan was today. Realtor called me at work and said she had a handful of feedback and suggestions from the open house. She did say that the house was priced right. I'll post feedback when I get home this evening. She said there were about 25 folks that came through. Not bad on a rainy day.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
We have now been on the market for 60 days. We've had a total 6 showings. None in the last month. Realtor told me "no one showed houses over the mother's day weekend" Well, uh yeah some realtors did, just not YOU. I didn't say thats, but I sure felt it. I asked her via a text about the "transfer" couple from back in mid april that the man loved the house but wanted wife to see it sometime in Early June. Again, No response/no feedback from that question. Took her four days to finally get back with me on the same text regarding an open house. I told her I wanted one period. She finally texted me yesterday that she'd have one on June 16th.
I'm just not happy. She doesn't communicate with me. She doesn't give me feedback, She doesn't call me EVER. I am the one who contacts her. Maybe once every couple weeks.

She has dual representation. I think I should have dual representation at this point. Maybe the competition for the commission would be good for the soul. Of course I know this can't be done. But it sure should be legal. Let the best realtor win. I just don't know what to do...

posted Hide Post
I remember back in my selling days the hardest part of my job was to call my clients and report on no activity. I sat down every Mon am and called every listing to give an up date-even when there had been no activity. And to plan on what the next step might be- an open house, report any new comps affecting their home, price reduction, etc. Communication is a two way street and it sound like she's not holding her end up.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruby ruby, what do you mean by dual representation? I always thought that meant the agent represented both the seller and buyer but you don't have a buyer. Perhaps I am wrong ( like that is the first time!!) .

Posts: 6747 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She should be acting as agent of seller for you Ruby.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
She can represent both the buyer and the seller. With strict codes of conduct. We Have not disclosed to her what our bottom price would be. So she can't tell the buyers where to come in on a bid.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ruby, just so you know you aren't alone...on another board a gal had theirs on the market for over 90 days and also had few showings.
They now have an offer with just a couple of minor "fixes"...and it's CASH...they have to be out by June 18!
So don't give up hope. You just never know when the "right" person will look at the listing.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4397 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Update: Last Wednesday we had a showing. I got a call from realtor at work that the showing realtor had called and said that we should be getting an offer. No Word, no offer as of yet. I would have thought that if this couple were really interested, they'd have started the offer process. Or Not. Id asked my realtor for a copy of our contract on Wednesday morning (we'd never gotten our copy) when she'd called about having a showing. My cynical side is rearing it's head, and I'm thinking maybe she just made the whole story up just to buy her some more time before we part ways. FWIW, she never sent the contract via email nor personally. Wierd to me on all accounts

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rubyruby:
Update: Last Wednesday we had a showing. I got a call from realtor at work that the showing realtor had called and said that we should be getting an offer. No Word, no offer as of yet. I would have thought that if this couple were really interested, they'd have started the offer process. Or Not. Edited to add: They put offer on a different house. But the buyers agent said that she thought that they would come back to ours as the sellers are seemingly difficult. The home they made offer on was listed at 389k with almost 2.5 acres. vs 269k on half acre. Major difference huh! we shall see. We also called our agent and told her to go ahead and put in the notes that the empty lot we own could also be part of the sale separately. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. prayers for us please...to just be able to get on with our lives soon. Smile

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
2 bites..................geezus..........fyi for any of you peeps following my saga. It continues just the same.Frown((

posted Hide Post
Holy cow, ruby. Frustrating!

So are you in the house now or away in the other state with your husband?

As for comps, what's the average market time for houses in your area? Your realtor should be able to tell you that. That is, if she'd communicate with you... When does her contract expire?

posted Hide Post
ruby, that link you posted on the previous page is expired. I clicked on it because I wanted to see if the photo presentation had been changed and it said the link was expired, contact the agent.

posted Hide Post
Ruby, no word of advice just want you to know we feel your frustration. Not knowing is so hard.

Posts: 6747 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubyruby:
She can represent both the buyer and the seller. With strict codes of conduct. We Have not disclosed to her what our bottom price would be. So she can't tell the buyers where to come in on a bid.

Ruby, don't you think it's far more likely that another realtor will bring in the eventual buyer so dual agency won't be an issue? I agree with your strategy of holding back your bottom line (in any event) but wouldn't worry about dual agency unless and until the situation arises.

Many agents, if they bring in a buyer for their listings, ask another agent in their office to work with that buyer, erecting the proverbial "Chinese Wall". If she didn't volunteer to do that, you could certainly request it, in the event that the dual agency situation arises.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to hear that your situation hasn't changed. Have you asked your realtor to update the CMA? Have any of the competition sold since you listed your home?

To get the communication going again with your agent, it might be a good idea to contact her and ask her to update the form/comps. In addition, if you haven't done so, I would go out with her for an hour or two and tour your competition, including (especially) anything that's currently pending sale. (She should be able to obtain access to those listings, if they've stopped showing.)

Obviously, if you take a tour, it'd be a good idea to compare your home to anything pending sale with a very critical, i.e. buyer's, eye. After touring, you can discuss your current strategy plus your expectations (of her, that is) with your realtor and go from there. Hopefully, such a meeting would reestablish the lines of communication and smooth over the current situation.

JMHO and hope all is well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BearCat49,

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody...as always for the excellent input.Update: Interest rates are on the rise and this has caused people to apparently get off the duffs and start looking. Realtor just called..she's bringing over and offer! OMG!

posted Hide Post
rubyruby, What great news! Hope it's a good offer ~ keep us updated! Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
well....259k. But after everything they ask for we'd in actuality selling it for 239k. The 35k we put into it plus another 30 below what we paid for the house. We are countering at 267k

The lady wants my fridge and my red couch. Uh...sorry but NO. Wink