Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Offically...the move is ON!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offically...the move is ON! Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
okay! here we go. REL, I'm going to PM you. Listing our home tomorrow. Lot is for sale buy owner and it wont ours for long. we don't even have a listing per say. Just a sign on the lot that the builders in the hood will surely see and call...or not. We'll give it a week or so.

So, as we get underway..i'll post a link. hope to get good feedback from the guru's here! REL, check your inbox!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
oops...well I can't pm you REL...it's okay...thanks all!

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rubyruby, Deep breath and then another one, now one more! Know you are excited BUT now is the time for calm...

Did you read the first paragraph of the last post? Hope so ... deep breath, then another one, now one more, rubyruby!

Back it down, rubyruby, and give yourself a break! Things are going well; don't rush them. You need to dial it back a few clicks - hope you understand. Seriously, rubyruby, lighten up and let things flow as they will... your latest post reeks of desperation? Don't go there now...

Stop, gather yourself up, take a deep breath AND post back when you have collected your thoughts and such ~ moving can be fun/losing all perspective isn't fun at all. One foot in front of the other ~ sell one/buy the other...

Group Hug

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
lol...Idaho! Thanks for the breaths! All is good.
Smile

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
here is the mls listing. more pics to come.

http://ms-mls.com/NWMARReports...t.aspx?ID=SOJ3876581

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rubyruby,

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your home is gorgeous, and that is an incredible price. I cannot imagine that it will not sell quickly!

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
awe...thanks grapefruit. Smile I asked the realtor to take a few more pics without the shizzle on the fridge...lol..you don't see it till you see it. But we don't have a bunch of fluff and what we do is on the side of the fridge! Smile

posted Hide Post
rubyruby, Thanks for posting the listing ~ you have a BEAUTIFUL home and I'm sure that it will sell fast but there might be a few things to do to make sure that it does! Smile

Might just be me but I had trouble navigating the photographs - at times they would show enlarged and other times they would flip back to the smaller version. But, more importantly, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the order of them. Guess I like the traditional approach of ordering photographs as if you are walking through the house itself but, as they are now, they skip around too much to get a sense of the lay-out....

The two suggestions I would make are to re-photograph the kitchen without the distraction of the pot rack (you are taking that with you, right?) and either eliminate the one of the car in the garage OR remove the car and organize the garage a bit before re-photographing.

As I said, I think you have a beautiful home but the photographic presentation simply isn't doing it justice! Good Luck! Cool

posted Hide Post
Well, color me confused! Confused

When I had trouble viewing your photographs, I decided to use your MLS number 282953 from the listing you linked that said your home had 3 bedrooms and 2693 sf. That mls number didn't bring up a listing of your property so I then tried using the address and got three hits.

Trulia said it had 4 bedrooms and 2,978 sf.
Zillow said it had 4 bedrooms, 2,145 sf and was not for sale.
Realtor.com said it had 4 bedrooms, 3,353 sf and was not for sale.

?????

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Wow, thats strange Idaho...I'll have to let the realtor know. She took the pics btw...and or used some we'd take of the backyard. Thanks for the input. Yes, I'll need to take down pot rack. Which also means I have to fill in freaking holes from the hooks in the sealing. Frown

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Ruby,

I would suggest you call your agent to review the photo presentation. The photo preseentation is your one chance on net the attract a buyer. The first picture is too distant, and should be taken from the street curb... the 2nd shoud be a close up of the exterior entry and the third the foyer, then main living area.. then bedrooms, baths then backyard facing out and then in. It's nice to focal within upgrade photos inbetween SS appliances, granite, jacuzzi
tub, outdoor specialties like hot tub or pool for example.

Break down the pool table asap. Get some great looking chairs for the breakfast bars..would suggest rod iron or metal rather than wood.

Just a few suggestions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Thanks REL.I've already got the nice iron counter height barstools...but will move them into the kitchen from the pool room. I've contemplated having the pool table disassembled. But, it is actually a great staging piece. You see, the dining room is the size of a postage stamp...I put our iron pub table and 4 chairs in the dining which fit the room size nicely. The realtor has already run into "the dining room is very small" and she's come back with "the formal living would be a great dining room and the dining could serve as a study/office/reading room" This retort has been embraced. The pool table is 8 x 4 and people can visualize the room utilized as a dining room. Plus, If we were to get it dismantled we'd have to deal with the parts and we are not willing to put it in storage. I hear ya, but it's not been a negative. Agree fully on your picture presentation comment. I would prefer a much more cohesive tour with pictures. I'll talk to my realtor about this. We have a showing tomorrow and I also found out that my Hubby has a guy in his office that just transferred here (empty nesters like us) who want to see the house. I think it shows very well as does the realtor. But yes, tweaks are in order! Thanks again for the feedback ladies! Smile

posted Hide Post
Then I would say, borrow a dining room set, if by chance you don't have one and set up as a dining room. Pool table in other than game rooms or rec rooms can be thinking road blocks.

posted Hide Post
Awww, rubyruby, I've followed your story since your first posting but have to say that things have taken a decided turn for the worse with your "listing" ~ have you figured out yet why the MLS isn't working and why there are so many different estimates of number of square feet and bedrooms?

It comes back to both the photographic presentation and more... First of all, who told you that turning your main living area into a pool room made a great "staging statement" - your DH or real estate agent?

That could possibly be true if your photographs showed another living area for a family but they don't. The nearest thing I could see from your photographs (as they are now) is a "hearth room" that is nothing more than a backward look into the kitchen...

REL is right ~ break down that pool table ASAP - it does not belong in the main living area when you are on the market to sell. If you do not want to place it in storage, simply put it into your garage and you will be able to take it with you when you sell ~ but, right now, it is an impediment to selling...

Most potential buyers want to see a living area for families ~ not a pool hall environment ~ no matter how much you might believe otherwise. My personal opinion? You have a beautiful home that will sell fast IF it is priced right and presented photographically favorable. Right now, I don't see it although I wish I could say differently...

Wishing you well ~ sincerely wishing you well. Cool

posted Hide Post
Wow, gorgeous house and so beautifully decorated!

But, and there's always a but, isn't there, those photos are horrendous and the presentation of the photos on the site is even worse. Small to large and then I could not get the large to move to the next photo so I had to click the main listing photo to try to get back to the other photos, etc. I could NOT get my bearings inside the house of what room is where at all so your realtor has more work to do. I even tried zillow and the darn thing isn't listed for sale on zillow.

IS there another place to sit like a formal living room or a den or family room? If not, I vote for the removal of the pool table, too. I can see what you mean--it fits great in there--but if that room is meant to be a great room (with a gorgeous fireplace), show the buyer how great of a great room (family space for relaxing/TV?fireplace) it is.

Your house, as mentioned, is gorgeous. Especially because it is so gorgeous, most buyers are going to expect the whole house to be cohesive and it may throw them off mentally with the pool table there. Just a thought.

So how is the market in your area? How long is it taking to sell homes? Your realtor should have that answer. Local comps.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
RubyRuby, I have to agree with the others about the photos. What bothers me most in the slide show presentation besides the order of the photos, the glamour short is out of focus and too far away.

I think walk through the house again with your Realtor and talk about how each room is represented. We do not want to confuse you or to make your agent think she is being 2nd guessed by a bunch of people who can't even spell Mississippi (thank goodness for grade school rhymes) much less sold real estate there. I see the listing says you have a formal dining room and a great room but no formal living room. You also have 2 bonus rooms. Depending on the dimensions of the bonus rooms, could the pool table be moved to one of them? Perhaps you can then stage the great room more of a living dining area. I hope you post more photos soon.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Okay! I will see if the realtor will come over a good hour before the showing a redo pics.

FWIW, the hearthroom living area is large and cozy...but there is not a good picture to indicate this area. Will be on this today

posted Hide Post
REL or Charming or Mamaspoon: question for you: when a house is posted for sale on the MLS, does it automatically get posted for sale on other sites like Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, Redfin (I can't think of any other sites)?

posted Hide Post
Once listed on local real estate board it automatically transfers to Realtor.com. However, if you want increased coverage on these other boards the listing office or listing agent usually pays an upcharge for more photos, etc. Most agents participate. Sometimes the company or branch office pays for the coverage for the entire office. And some boards maybpay for for more coverage to the other sites. Since I've been officially retired for 3 yrs, the policies may have changed and Charming or REL may have more up to date input.

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rubyruby, Were you able to resolve any of the issues with your agent today? Looking forward to hearing an up-date! I hope so as I think you have a beautiful home that should sell fast BUT know it's difficult to hear others make suggestions that sound critical. I hope you realize that all of us really like your home and our comments are directed toward your agent, her photographs, presentation, "marketing strategy" or lack thereof....

By now, your MLS should be national - not happening ~ at least not yet. Hopefully she took new pictures today of the front, the entry way and then followed through with the family room (which was previously identified as a "hearth room"), kitchen, hallways, baths and outside. And will revise her written descriptions as well ....

Wouldn't even post back, rubyruby, except I know you are very sincere and have done everything possible to get your home in a position to have it say "SOLD!" But, I'm afraid this listing as it is, won't accomplish that...

We all have seen the situation where one spouse is transferred and the other spouse is left behind to sell ~ sometimes very quickly and sometimes it takes months. We all want you to be one of the ones sells immediately ~ thus the suggestions. Good luck! Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
we took more pics yesterday, but i've not had a chance to email them to her. I did send her an email regarding the listing etc. What do you think needs to be thewording for the "property details" Idaho what would you change?? I appreciate the feedback girls. I've got pretty thick skin...so bring it.

we did have another showing yesterday, so there is interest.

posted Hide Post
Hi Ruby.

. While I know you are excited about your move, concentrate on you existing home for sale in preparation.

Really looking forward to seeing that new photo presentation and hope your agent starts at the curb, then shoots the entry from like a 10 ft. distance, then foyer, then great room, kitchen, master, other bedrooms and bath and several shoots of back yard - then whala - a few shots of that half acre property and the yes, 3 car garage - a double and a single, right? Love the color of the kitchen and would like to see that color in the blue bathroom.

As for MLS listing, yes within about 3 days the listing appears on Realtor.com and that is ..international.YES.. "International"...now see what I mean about having the right photo presentation asap?

Please remind your agent not to take photos with furniture in the forefront. Also I would have her rewrite the description.. ki ll e r kitchen means nothing.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also I would have her rewrite the description.. ki ll e r kitchen means nothing.

I don't know, have you tried my husband's cooking? Wink

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
hearth room, photo to be added

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
and another of the house to be added

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
this is what I wrote and will email to her as far as vernacular changes. ???input?

You are going to love this house! The floor plan is so very functional and relaxed. Spacious kitchen with granite counter tops, tile backsplash, under counter lighting, Stainless Kenmoore Dishwasher/Stove. Vast storage/Cabinets, Walk in Pantry, Center Island w Sink. The Hearthroom is Bright/Light and spacious. Enjoy morning coffee on the Screened in porch or under the Pergola and extended patio area. Backyard boast shade trees, terraced landscaping and a separate detached workshop/garage. 2 fireplaces (one in the hearth room and the other in the great room - Masterbedrm down with His/Her closets. Double Vanities and Storage galore in very spacious masterbath. surround sound in Hearthroom. Outdoor speakers,outdoor lights on detached and east side of the house. Electrical outlet on the pergola. All media cable and cords are contained and invisable. This home is tastefully decorated and has been lovingly cared for. Exterior painted 2012. Won't last long!

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! Why do they call it a hearth room? Never heard of that term before.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
charcoal, it's because it's a kitchen and living room combo with fireplace.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
REL, I know why she didn't shoot the entryway/foyer. You walk into the front door and the postage stamp dining is on the right. Approx 5 feet into the door you are at the stairs and basically standing in the poolrm/greatroom or formal livingrm. on the left when you walk in is a door leading to a small hallway, master is just on the right in hallway entrance, full bath in the middle, then second bedroom left in hallway )which would be the window you see at the front left corner of the house.) We don't have much of a foyer at all...not even room for an entry table as you'd hit it with the door when coming inside. Make sense? anyhoo. thanks...i'll let ya know when she makes changes.

posted Hide Post
Okay no foyer I get that, but what about shot of exterior entry?

Do you have two bedrooms down including the master - if so, what a selling point!!! Even just the master. Great for the taking care of parents.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
There are two bedrms down. Master and one other. I've got two full baths down, one full bath up. One BEDroom up (has a closet) And the bonus over the garage (No closet)

I have a stupid eyebrow (with that wooden slats design inside two pieces of glass) window over the reg windows in dining room. Well, one of the slat decided to break, It's being replaced next week. No picture upclose until that is repaired. I replaced the one upstairs REL..are you ready for this.....same thing happened to it...3 days over our 1 year anniversary of purchase. Thankfully, the glass company honored it and I did pay labor. Not this time Frown

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
entrance pic. notice the eyebrow window with it's broken slat. This only happened in the last few weeks. I'd noticed it...but had forgotten until It was in my face. They came out and measured last Wed. It's ordered!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubyruby:
this is what I wrote and will email to her as far as vernacular changes. ???input?

You are going to love this house! The floor plan is so very functional and relaxed. Spacious kitchen with granite counter tops, tile backsplash, under counter lighting, Stainless Kenmoore Dishwasher/Stove. Vast storage/Cabinets, Walk in Pantry, Center Island w Sink. The Hearthroom is Bright/Light and spacious. Enjoy morning coffee on the Screened in porch or under the Pergola and extended patio area. Backyard boast shade trees, terraced landscaping and a separate detached workshop/garage. 2 fireplaces (one in the hearth room and the other in the great room - Masterbedrm down with His/Her closets. Double Vanities and Storage galore in very spacious masterbath. surround sound in Hearthroom. Outdoor speakers,outdoor lights on detached and east side of the house. Electrical outlet on the pergola. All media cable and cords are contained and invisable. This home is tastefully decorated and has been lovingly cared for. Exterior painted 2012. Won't last long!

Already, I think you have done a better job with the written description than your agent did first time around ~ the "killer" kitchen comment seemed like slang and very unprofessional. Most basic change I would make in your revised version would be to delete the first two sentences. Instead start with "Great floor plan and then continue starting at "spacious kitchen."

It's so trite to waste the beginning of the description telling people that "they are going to love this place, this property, this house or whatever" ~ a waste of words better used to describe/tell them the particulars. And, personally, if you are going to leave the living room as "the pool room," then I would strongly suggest that you change the name of the "hearth room" to a "family/living room" to appeal to the widest audience possible and that is the phrase which most will understand.

Of course, you have a number of typos/ errors in your sample but I'm sure you know that and will correct them. And the three photographs you just posted? Much better than the ones already attached to your listing ~ switch them out ASAP and replace the other ones as well....

Think you have a better understanding of what the photographs should be showing than your agent does ~ now, please get one of the front of the whole house (a direct shot that includes the 3 car garage) since the current ones emphasize the "workshop" and make it appear to be "the" garage, then go through the house room by room as suggested. The side view of the house and the family room you have posted are great - why didn't your agent have a photo of the family room (hearthroom), anyway, instead of photographing four beds?

No answer needed ~ that's a rhetorical question - I don't think she is a photographer (many real estate agents aren't an expert in that area but they can be very helpful in all of the rest of the transaction). Big Grin

You've already made the photographic presentation twice as good as it was ~ now finish the job and insist that your agent switch out the photographs as quickly as possible. And, inquiring minds want to know, has she changed your listing to reflect a 4 bedroom home where she listed that it was a THREE bedroom although she posted four photographs of different beds? Also think you need to check into why there is such a wide discrepancy regarding the square footage being listed on various sites.

Good luck, rubyruby, you have the right attitude to getting your home sold fast and for the best possible price. Keep us up-dated! Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
YeSSSSS Idaho..You got it gal! working it! probably wont happen till monday. keep all posted.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I sent pics and the below with the updated property info. She better spell check. I corrected most if not all. Read on. Was I complete B each?! :O(
this was the third email I sent...different, but the third today. Nice I am...but yeah.?!!!

And I want those pictures that I sent you just of the hearth room and front yard added. As soon as the front eyebrow picture is fixed, I'd like a picture of this put on the website as well. Hope this will be done on monday first thing. I didn't spell check the below. please make sure it's good. please let me know when all is updated

posted Hide Post
*applause* :-)

posted Hide Post
Charming.. you funny girL !!

Ruby - put a closet in the bonus room.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I'm not willing nor is my husband to put another dime into this house REL. We're already losing over 45k and thats IF we get full offer on this house. Frown

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
also, when do you guys think that a caravan (as they were called in Ga where all the local agents can come by and view the house) should be in order? I'd asked if she would be doing one and she said she would but not for a few weeks. Thoughts?

posted Hide Post
I'm not a realtor but why wouldn't it be done right away?

posted Hide Post
Caravans should be done as soon as possible. They let all the agents see the house so they can show it to possible clients. Otherwise they are relying on just the Internet and will not get a feel for the place.

I am no expert but the agencies I know schedule caravans each and every week for newly listed homes. I would insist she do it without delay, maybe last weekSmile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
We listed it on Wednesday with her. It wasn't on MLS till thursday a.m. House was just put on market. But I agree.

posted Hide Post
In our market, caravans are a dwindling thing. Some offices do, but the larger ones don't.

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is more important to finish the "re-do" of the photographs first, then the verbal description. If you do a great job with those, then maybe it won't even be necessary to have a caravan. First things first.... Cool

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I don't know about caravans either. We do an office caravan of our own listings but our market is too big and too many listings.

If we were to do a caravan of all the houses and condos listed in the past week within a 10 mile radius of our office (and 9 of the miles to the east is ocean) we would have 74 properties to select from. (Our MLS added 173 single family homes last week along with 136 condos.) We are all dependent on the mls info. Make the photos clear, add a virtual tour that includes photos not in the mls, and a good description of the house and lot. Don't forget to make it easy to show the property - MLS lockbox is a must.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Easy to show Charming, we asked for an hour notice if we happen to be home so we can quickly tidy up if need be...then we leave the house.

posted Hide Post
If caravan are passé, the seller is missing a lot. You can not get the " feel. " of the house off pictures or virtual tours no matter how good they are. It like the difference between seeing the Grand Canyon in person versus in real life. Nothing compares to the real thing.

I think you will find more showings if you have a caravan. Just my experience. (I have one property they have to drive half and hour to see)

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Metwo, It really does depend on the market. Like I mentioned - both number of properties and number of miles. In more compact markets with fewer properties I can see a caravan working to get the word out.

One thing I have found to make a property stand out is to do a really good virtual tour. It can be nothing more than additional photos not shown on the MLS or as elaborate as a real video with narrative. With a virtual tour the agent with words and photos give a tour of the house. If the agent has a fish eye lens or is going to do video it helps showcase tight spaces - ie rubyruby's small dining room.

We do quite a bit of email advertising to other agents and in addition to regular open houses we have exclusive broker/agent open houses with a catered lunch.

posted Hide Post
Ican certainly see your point if you are dealing with subdivision with all the homes basically the same. I do disagree with you about a virtual tour. I have never seen one that compared with seeing the house..... But maybe that is just me.

I would think, with the market still not being the best in most areas, that you would not miss an oppurnity to market a house, even if it means driving a few miles.

I usually agree with you, just not this time. I want my agent doing everthing, and I mean everything, possible.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
If it is common for the area, then the agent should do it. My point was - it is not common or practical in every market. That is why in my area we have agent open houses. Even those are frequently poorly attended.