Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  I bit the bullet! On the market.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bit the bullet! On the market. Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
I'm nervous. I'm excited. I'm scared.

I put my little house on the market yesterday in anticipation of moving west. I moved to this town in 1985 as a single parent to take a job after graduating college at age 37. I have since raised a son and retired. I have no relatives in this town and since retiring, my social circle has diminished -- a lot. So, I am moving west to Oregon (never been there) where my son has relocated. He tells me the state is big enough for both of us!!!LOL

I am disappointed however, that I will be losing money on the house. It's a big hit that I can barely afford, but I can't take it with me (when I die) so I have dealt with it (I think). I am 65 and single and if I am going to move, this is my last realistic chance to do it.

And, as I told the realtor, the neighborhood is in transition from old to young and I am in transition from young to old, and for me, the two just don't mix. Within the next 3-5 years I foresee two young families moving in on both sides of my house. I value my quiet and privacy so much that the loss in monetary gain will be leveled out eventually in my new place, wherever it may be.

I am also selling everything. I am looking forward to furnishing a new place with yard sale, estate sale, auction, and thrift store items.

Let the adventure begin.

BTW, though she was very diplomatic about it, I got the vibe that the realtor thinks I have placed a high, unrealistic asking price on my house. Time will tell.

http://www.patgallagherrealty....ls&listingid=3422063

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I don't know your market, but it looks like a great home at a great price!

Best of luck on your adventure!!!

Posts: 3128 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How exciting! I think it will be an adventure will remember forever.

Cute house but why does your realtor only have 4 photos and 3 of those are of the same room? If you don't show the kitchen people will assume you have something to hide. Most realty sites provide at least 9-10 photos if not more. I think you should have a talk with her.

P.s. I just went to a national site and she has more px there. Why not on her own website?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 6959 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does actually have 12 or more photos. Don't know why you can see it. Perhaps it did not fully load. There should be a slider under the first four photos so you can see the bedrooms, kitchen and outdoor areas. I'll check it out. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

posted Hide Post
I looked for some place to click or something but there was nothing. Now it might be that I tried it on my ipad but then would think none of it would come up. (I know so little about computers!)

Posts: 6959 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
sometimes the realtor puts just a few on because of time and just to get it up and out to the buying pool. Cute cute House MLV, Neat as a pin! You'll have an easy time selling it. Best of look to you with your move. I say kudos to you for starting your life at 65! Most people I know would be quite scared. What a great adventure you are about to embark on. let us know what you find and how things are going!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I think the quote
“Life is a journey, not a destination.” is just perfect for you.

My DH & I basically did the same things you're doing. Packed up, sold the house, took a bit of a hit in a bad real estate market, and moved to be closer to the kids and grandkids. We left really good jobs, in a really nice area and haven't regretted it once. I love being close to the kids and see them often.

It will all be allright, good for you! Much luck on the sale...hope it goes quickly Smile

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MLV, I hear what you are saying about being excited, scared and yet still determined to move forward and I, for one, commend you! Know that you will have LOTS of support here from many wonderful posters as you make your way through a challenging time that I think all of us can identify with ~ keep posting....

I did check out your listing and it is great ~ I absolutely love your house and all the special touches you have added to it. In fact, it is so charming that I'm afraid that it might be difficult for you to find anything even close to it when you move to Oregon.

Why? Because you said that you thought your realtor was acting as if your $84,900 listing price might be too high. I don't know anything about real estate prices in Ohio but I do have a fairly good idea of the cost of real estate in Oregon and, to be honest, that amount (85K) will NOT buy anything even close to what you own now.

Moving closer to your son and family will off-set that, though, I'm sure. Where are they located in Oregon ~ Portland metro area, coastal, central or inland? And will you be looking for a single family home or deciding to go the townhouse/condo route?

Such an exciting new adventure for you and I'm 100% with you; just want to make sure that you do realize that buying a place similiar to your current home will likely cost much more than the 85K you are hoping to realize from a sale at full list price where you are living right now. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
I'm afraid that it might be difficult for you to find anything even close to it when you move to Oregon.

Thank you for your words of encouragement ladies. I see that a few of you have just recently sold your homes. Congrats.

IR, thanks for the words of encouragement also. I tentatively am looking at the high desert area of central Oregon, mainly because of low humidity. I feel it will be good for my aches and pains. While the coastal area looks lovely with their 9a gardening zone (I will miss my lush garden here in zone 5), I don't believe I could handle the dampness on a long term basis.

I agree I will probably NOT find a comparable house in this same price range. I have been very fortunate to have had really affordable cost of living in this area (former steel town) and am prepared for the increased prices. I will still be seeking a very small ranch style home in a private area. My perfect place would be a 2/2 ranch style on an acre or two.

I know I sound like an old ogre but I so don't want to even be in hearing distance of swimming pools, playgrounds, or screaming/yelling, squealing little people or bouncing basketballs.

Kid across the street just had hoop installed -- he's 13 so at least 5 more years of thud, thud, thud at all times of day and evening.

I am so anxious to have showings and get feedback. My contract goes through end of September. Not sure yet what will happen if it does not sell -- really not anxious to make a possible long distance move by myself in winter. Will have to make that decision when the time comes.

posted Hide Post
I don't think you sound like an old-anything, MLV! You are simply expressing your desire to have some peace and quiet in your new place ~ we all know that you love children after the many years you dedicated to teaching them!

I hear you on the small 2/2 with maybe an acre or so and glad that you know that it will be more expensive than where you live now. And the high desert in Oregon will have much less humidity than the coastal areas so good choice!

So where does your son live? I only ask because the roads in Oregon can take much longer than you might think when viewing milage as the crow flies. AND some "high" desert areas can be a bit of a disappointment to those who love to garden so choose wisely, MLV! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I looked at your pictures and feel you can tweek your listing to sell with a few adjustments - remove awnings
on exterior, remove some of the stuff from the interior walls including drapes leaving bamboo shades. These moves will update the look.

I would leave the price alone for now..at worst you'll end up at $79,900 most likely and sales price allows room for negotiation.

Remember if buyers ask for closing cost, you can raise price,as long as it appraises. Be very aware of sold comps (of like kind to your property - i.e. sq. ftg.(heated). Get a copy of those comps for your own drive by, and ask your Realtor to look at interior pictures on her MLS. Just a thought - so YOU know your marketplace.

You sound like a delightful person, and you'll be happier around family.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
remove some of the stuff from the interior walls

Thank you for your input. I did go around the house and actually took another 20 items off the walls and took "stuff" off shelves, etc. It feels really bare but I'll get used to it.

Also, I THOUGHT I had taken enough stuff off the walls. I use the wall in the spare bedroom as a gallery wall to store my homemade art to change out through the seasons. It was easier to store it ON the wall than in the closet. See the following two pics and you'll see why I thought I had already done a good job! ;-)

posted Hide Post
And the other wall, then and now.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
first I envy the move to Oregon...of course you think we've had rain this past june?? wait, if your ds is anywhere near the coast...lol...

your home is delightful and there is room for expansion...

have you thought about doing your own home inspection? it might save you unexpected ** down the line. also, i'd see if they have home insurance on appliances, ect, for the first year..it certainly helped us sell a less than perfect home...(ask your realtor)

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:

have you thought about doing your own home inspection? it might save you unexpected ** down the line.

I doubt I will do that. I am kind of OCD about fixing things when they need it or preventative fixes. I can only think of two items that will need fixed to pass inspection 100% and I will get to those within the next week. One is having GFCIs installed in garage and back porch and the second is fixing a section of subfloor under carpet in the bedroom. It has been like that for 12 years (I can feel it in my bare feet) with no advancement of damage so I am confident it is not dry rot or insects, just something the flipper failed to repair back in '96. In fact, writing this has inspired me to get off my duff and make the calls to get this done. Thanks for the heads up.

The inspector would cost $350-$400 and the repairs will have to be fixed one way or another so I will save myself the $350 and let the prospective buyer pay for it.

Had first showing today, no feedback yet. Second showing scheduled for Saturday morning.

posted Hide Post
...good job on removing items from walls. Paint ceilings white and remove awnings--my recommendation.. Need to update that house!!!! Then take new pictures and ask Realtor to put them in MLS.

Remember buyers who drive by and call off the sign are 50% sold as they like the outside. Removing those awnings will bring the house to present day.

posted Hide Post
Paint ceilings white, remove awnings, and keep working on de-cluttering. sparkling clean..clean ..clean. .clean.
Spend any money on curb appeal and interior, instead of inspection.

posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, so exciting! Totally cute house and I am so looking forward to riding this journey with you as you sell this one and move cross country to another one! Keep us posted every step of the way.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I responded previously but then deleted it because I realized it sounded like I was whining or making excuses.

Anyway, the ceilings are white, the pics are deceptive.

Due to other reasons not necessary to outline here, the awnings cannot be removed. But I can brighten the shutters by painting them. I'll see what I can find at the hardware store today to do so. Don't know if I can paint them in place or if they have to be taken down. Need to do a little investigating.

I have the electrician coming next week to install the GFCIs in the garage and back porch. Now to get the floor guy here to patch the subfloor -- I'll call him today.

posted Hide Post
If the ceilings are white..take new pictures with different camera.

What is the problem with the awnings/ The awnings need to come down for potential highest and best sale.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
MLV- How exciting! I envy your freedom.

Only a few suggestions from me - get rid of some of your small furniture pieces. You want to open up the rooms so they don't feel cramped.

Also - remove the valances from the windows. Just the sheers will keep the look clean and simple.

Last but not least - it looks like you have beautiful hardwood floors - do what you can to show them off.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
My Life,

Good luck on the sale of your home and best wishes for your new adventure. Please keep us updated with your progress!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9425 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post