Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  What's best? Move out or live in home we are selling?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's best? Move out or live in home we are selling? Sign In/Join 
Picture of brynnsmom
posted
We completely moved out of our home to redo all hardwood floors and complete painting of everything. We want to sell our home but wonder if it's better not to move back in. What sells better? Empty or lived in?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of brynnsmom
posted Hide Post
I was really hoping you guys would help me figure out what to do. Really disappointed.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Consult a Realtor in your area and get a local opinion.

Posts: 9287 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are adjusting, even in that condition then live in your house, don't move.

south beach real estate

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have no idea as to the many times that we have spoken about this issue. and I don't think that there is a correct answer. I would way that 50% of people want to see the house with furniture, they need to see what to do in each room. 50% of people want to see empty house, me included. I want to see, how my furniture is going to look and whether it will fit or not. and it gives me a better idea as to what the house may need.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I will add another option to make your life even more zany...

What about moving all out, but then having it professionally staged??????????

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The average person has a minimal sense of spatial relations. To the average viewer empty rooms look smaller with nothing to put the space into perspective. Also, I have found that people can often have limited imagination and need to be shown things.

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely agree, Charles, based on my experience.

In addition, I've seen multiple studies that indicated only about 10% of home buyers can view a home vacant and envision it furnished with reasonable spatial relationships.

Posts: 518 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I suggest you move only your best things back into the house, and store the rest. Keep your home uncluttered, but retain enough furnishings to define the spaces.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without seeing your furnished house and knowing your lifestyle we can't answer which is best for your house.
As said staged/furnished houses are better, but we don't know if your furniture will show your house in the best light.

Posts: 2483 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrennaFSBO
posted Hide Post
Theres a really helpful Guide that came with my FSBO Faster package I used when I sold my home For Sale By Owner this winter. It tells you all about how to Stage your home, and make improvements that increase the value of your home. They offer everything you need to prepare, list, market, and sell your home. I hated the idea of losing commissions to a Realtor as I knew I was capable of improving my house on my own and had confidence that I could figure out how to sell it myself if it was ever at all possible for anyone out there. My hunch was right, its shocking more people don't sell FSBO nowadays...maybe they haven't realized that companies nowadays are making it possible for homeowners to sell FSBO with new technology and freedom of information as Sellers Agents become less and less relevant

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you should live in coz this will give the buyers the idea of how the house will look with furniture and stuff.

Hunter Rentals & Property Management

Posts: 9 | Location: US | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post