Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  WE ARE UNDER CONTRACT!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WE ARE UNDER CONTRACT!!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
Hooray! Smile))))))))))))))))

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Are there inspections lined up soon? Selling can be such a nerve shattering experience.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
i just emailed realtor to get on buyers to get appraisal and inspection done asap. So I can do whatever needs to be done...and get on down to tx to look for our new residence!!!! will probably go for 3 weeks and get back here for closing...and movers. in a perfect world this will all fall into place.

Thanks EVERYONE for following my progress, saga, drama, emotions etc etc. Your input has been invaluable and I give each of you a cyber hug!

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Hope all goes well from here.

Posts: 6954 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
isn't life grand???

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruby, ruby, so happy for you ~ now let's hope for a smooth closing! Smile

Just curious but you said they offered 259K and you countered back at 267K ~ where did it end up that the contract was signed by all? Only wondering because I find it interesting to see how people's perceptions play out in real life. Offer low, offer high, counter, don't counter? Only asnswer if you wish...

Hope you have a couple of fun weeks in TX as you wait for the buyers to do their "thing" and you'll have more time, not only to be with dh, but to explore some more so you will have an even better idea of where you want to land! Glad things are looking much more hopeful..... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, congrats! Yes, please keep us posted all the way until it closes and you've closed on your new house!

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ruby! I KNOW this is a relief for you!
And your hubby will probably be happy too!

Don't forget to pm me your new address when you find a place in Tx. I have a few seeds saved I can share and by then I may have some starts of things too.

You can do it here or on NY board...((hugs gal))!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4751 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
We actually countered at 265,500 and they accepted to terms and gave them fridge. The closing date they want is a little rushed, but I think they will give me a little wiggle room if movers can't get me scheduled to be packed and out by their date of July 22. I'm just kinda beating myself up about staying on with work. I should have given my last day as June 1. I worked up till last sat and now it's crunch time. House is easy, it's lean. It's my hubby's garage that is a daunting mess. He never got around to sorting and he's been home two times for a good 7 days. I won't see him until August. He's given me free reins to pick out our home. So that's kinda awesome!

posted Hide Post
Reminds me of my husband and garage. We only had 3 weeks to move. Had rented a u-haul and it was in the driveway and he STILL wasn't packed let alone sorted. The neighbors came over and packed all his stuff. Today, 19 years later, some is still in the boxes.

Just to let you know you are not alone.

Posts: 6954 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
OMGosh Metwo, that's exactly right. If you could see the upstairs attic of this detached garage you'd cringe. He can't find what he needs so he goes out and buys the same item over and over again. He has a fetish for screws, bolts and nuts. I found 12 tire repair kits things. Can't ever have too many of those I suppose. Electrical mixed with plumbing and on and on it goes. He saves every thing...nuts and screws from old ceiling fans that were replaced. I have 3 or four 12 foot 6 inch pvc pipes that someone asked if he wanted. They have not seen the light of day in 7 years. I'm embarrassed for the movers to have to go up in 120 degrees to pull the stuff down so pack it. I don't want the stuff. I will get his memorbilia....but some of it I don't think he'd ever miss. Or remember he had. Vent over! Frown

posted Hide Post
The movers may think it looks like their garageSmile. Sorry to say it does not get better with age.(sigh)

posted Hide Post
ruby,ruby, Sounds like you ended up with a price that was fair to all involved. Have to say that I'm glad you decided to give in on the fridge - why?

Unlike your red couch and other more personal items, appliances are just nuts and bolts and easily replaced with something that is even newer and comes with a warranty for your new home wherever that ends up being.

And that 500 pounds of fridge that you won't have to ship? Well, it will off-set a least a portion of dh's "garage and tool stuff" that I think you might as well just ship in its entirety since your dh refused to even start on the project of narrowing it down even though he had the chance to do so when he was home.

It might cost an extra $500 to ship the duplicates and such but I think it would be much too stressful for you to try to narrow it down yourself and, you're right, a big hassle for the movers as well to pick and choose between items, so just tell them to pack EVERYTHING ~ it will go much faster in a hot attic that way and then make dh sort through it on the other end BEFORE any of it gets stored again!

Good luck and keep us posted! Cool

PS. Think it's wonderful that you have free rein choosing your new home ~ sorta makes up for leaving you to deal with clearing out and selling the old one! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I got two young highschool boys to empty all three attic spaces. knocked it all out in an Hour.5! Huge weight off my shoulders. IR, the company is paying for the move and we are just going to have to keep it stored in their facilities until we find a home. The company will pay for the first 30 days,then we will start paying. As far as sorting...I've got 20 days to do so..and I'm no how no way bringing some of this complete crap anywhere to sit and take up valuable real estate!!!! And yes, it is nice to be able to have free rein on home decision. I know what he likes and what he thinks about as far a criteria. We're all good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rubyruby,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You should have seen what I had when my first hubby died.
Like one pipe wrench, he had 5 of the exact same ones...why? My brother helped me and he took it & sold it all for me. I ended up getting over $2000 for all the "extra" junk!

My present hubby...you don't want to know! I keep telling him we aren't getting any younger and he isn't going to be able to do all the projects he has "saved" all this JUNK for...but it goes in one ear & out the other.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4751 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
inspection was yesterday. No report as of yet. The inspector got here as did what I thought was the buyer's realtor. Nope..I it was the actual homeowner to be. I was walking out the door as I didn't really want to be here. But, she and I went outside and I showed her a couple things. Like, the wren nesting in one of my Hubby's old shoes in the little lean to. Just shared how special the yard was to me and how I would miss peak season of the hummingbird migration. She didn't know that we were in the migration path and was so excited. She's a Potter and is so excited about the detached garage as her workshop. It was such an amazing 15 minutes. I know this home will be loved. How cool is that!

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Buyers' Realtor not there. Strange. Was at least your Realtor there. Never have I asked a buyer to go to a home inspection without my attendance. It's part of our duty.

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
REL, I too thought it strange, but the agent was sick and my agent wasn't able to make it due to her Hubby being in Hospital. I don't think the buyer was here specifically for the inspection..she wanted to get some measurements. She also said that Anything that I didn't feel like contending with as far a pitching (fridge) just to leave it and no worries. For this I am thrilled. Smile)))) x 10 not that i'm leaving anything. But I do have frozen food in the freezer that I will by all means leave vs pitch out. I also bought a gorgeous new persian rug to replace the one I got at a second hand store that I will leave. That's pretty much it.

The lot we own...next door has got to go. There are three builders in our hood and I contacted them all to make me the best offer. All are interested. I'l be ecited knowing that we have in our pocket at the minimum what we paid---liquid asset for incidentals/furniture/etc for new house............I'll start my search in Houston on the 25th. Exciting indeed!

posted Hide Post
In that case, your agent should have been aware no agent would be present and should have sent a representative of her company. As I said part of our duty as the buyer or sellers agent.

My suggestions on the lot~~~
..Tell the builders cash only, highest and best offer. Do not discuss other offers with them. Give them a deadline to submit written offer. Do not subordinate your lot (get paid when the house is built).Do your homework and know what the lot is worth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
deleted Thanks REL.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rubyruby,

posted Hide Post
Tax record/public real estate record from your city/county does NOT have anything to do with true value. Like depending on real estate sites for value.

Call a Realtor to find (SOLD)comps-she will have to possibly search in other communities for like kind in the area.
You may be best to list with her, should she come up with higher value.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
2nd builder called me today, He offered me 25k and I'm taking it! He's going to get the contract written up in a.m. My husband and I went and got our Power of Attorney letter notorized before he left. I wrote it by following a sample letter i'd found online. Shouldn't be a problem. Anyhoo, the way I see it...this 25k is our pool or an outdoor kitchen/fireplace if pool is already with a house..or another detached workshop/garage for my man. Just glad to be sold. Smile

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
This is my 3rd time selling a home. This has been the freaking worst experience of all. I'm scratching my head here. I got an email from the closing attorney asking me what my relationship was to my Husband being I didn't change my maiden name. Then, He asked me to call my mortgage company to get the payoff and interest for ending July 23. I get it, but I'm thinking to myself...I've never had to do this because my Realtor had made sure she had this info to give to closing attorney. What the **** am I paying him for...Then, because I knew that my termite letter from my exterminating co. was going to be needed, I got proactive and asked them to go ahead and send/fax/email to this clown. I guarantee this would have not been done and at the last hour I'd be scrambling to get this info too. I'm seriously not high maintenance...but I don't think it my job to do someone elses...especially when they are being paid. Again, worst experience of my life in selling a house EVER.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
oh and it gets better: Friday at 8:30 I get an email forwarded from my realtor from closing attorney. My H's name is very common and attorney needed hubs social security number to verify that "judgements" we're not for hubby, but some other person. The email he sent shows the time it was written at 2:20 on Friday. well poo...I'm just going to copy paste and you'll get my drift. My question is though (we have no judgments on us fyi) So what if we would have, what does this have to do with selling our home? So, I asked my Realtor the question...read her reply. I'll make sure the names are taken off email. I'm just floored the whole process has sucked. And if the Attorney is just now doing the title search with our closing on the 19th, he is a fool. Lazy fool too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubyruby: I'm scratching my head here. I got an email from the closing attorney asking me what my relationship was to my Husband being I didn't change my maiden name. Then, He asked me to call my mortgage company to get the payoff and interest for ending July 23. I get it, but I'm thinking to myself...I've never had to do this because my Realtor had made sure she had this info to give to closing attorney. What the **** am I paying him for...

I can see why this would be very frustrating to you, rubyruby, but the truth of the matter is that a closing attorney is responsible to make sure that all of the legalities are met before signing off on the closing.

As for verifying your maritial status, that is mandatory especially since many women choose to keep their own names nowdays. And, it's doubtful that he had access to your mortgage information due to privacy laws, so that, too, was a reasonable request although your real estate agent could have expedited the matter by providing that information ahead of time. Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rubyruby: My question is though (we have no judgments on us fyi) So what if we would have, what does this have to do with selling our home?

rubyruby, Any judgments of record against a seller have a great deal to do with "selling your home" as new buyers expect to purchase "your home" free and clear of any liens (which a judgment creates against real property) so it is essential that the closing attorney make sure that any Judgments on record are NOT against your husband but, rather against another individual with a similar name.

And the best way to insure that fact is to compare social cesurity numbers as it appears he is doing considering the recent requests. I'll continue to address the remainder of your questions in your new thread "Rant - final rant" but, rest assured I do understand how very frustrating this has been.... Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Thanks Idaho..your post are very thoughtfully written and I appreciate you taking the time to set me straight...and also slap me upside the head through this ordeal. Thank you for your expertise! Smile

posted Hide Post
No slap intended, rubyruby, I know just how frustrating it can be when waiting for others to "do their job" especially when it doesn't seem like they are doing their job! Hang in there ~ there is light at the end of the tunnel... Cool

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
lol Idaho...It was a good thing and I never take or took anything the wrong way! You've been my virtual rock gal! Smiling!

posted Hide Post
Any judgements, in addition, would have to be paid off at closing for clear title to buyer.