Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was this a mistake? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a lovely friend who just passed her real estate test. She knows that I'm interested in moving (in the same city) and offered to help me out.

The other day I told her of several houses I was interested in and she arranged for us to go see them. There were at least two times that my husband asked her a general question and I was pretty sure that she did not actually answer with the correct information. When we got home I checked for myself and she was not correct.

These are little things but they make me nervous. I'm a big believer in working with an agent because I want someone who knows more than I do.

She is delightful and funny and smart - and I know that every one has to get experience somehow - but I'm not sure that I want to be the buyer she gains experience on. Our market is starting to pick back up.

Am I worrying about nothing? Or is there anything I could say that would preserve our friendship but allow me to work with a more experienced agent?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We also have a couple of realtors in the extended family, that I would not choose to use for many reasons. My feeling is to keep most all major business practices at arms length if possible. I would probably explain to your friend that you value your friendship SO MUCH that it just seems too risky to take a chance on it being an issue?

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly Delores, RUN, don't walk, RUN from being obligated to work with a friend who is so inexperienced in real estate matters that she couldn't answer questions and the ones she did answer were easily discovered to be erroneous with a simple google search.

Hopefully, you haven't signed any agreement with her or her firm so it will be easy ~ just don't call her anymore and continue your search on your own with an agent with whom you feel comfortable. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
be frank and see if she has a closer? it can be fun to have her show you properties but when push comes to shove...it's your cash!

Posts: 8533 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I agree with Idaho Resident! I would pretend that I'm not sure about looking at houses at this time and frankly, I wouldn't even keep in touch with her at this time. I don't have the nerve to tell a friend that they "sucq at their job and I'm using a real professional". I feel it's vitally important that you deal with a KNOWLEDGABLE Real Estate Agent. If you caught her in an error and you were right, I would not deal with her again. I wouldn't call her. I would pretend I was really busy and not interested in looking at houses right now. Probably it's not good to lie cause you might get caught, but I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, so I would just keep my distance. She has a lot to learn, soooo let her learn on a total stranger!

Posts: 2432 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am going to tell you of a "similar situation" one of our friends's wives, just opened a Beauy Salon, and the husband has been hinting that I should go and get a haircut. My husband the other day, started on me to go and get a haircut with this person. My answer was.
I don't dare to do that, because if I don't like the haircut, I would never go back and the friendship would suffer.
We must always remember that business and friendships usually don't go together.

Posts: 5003 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I have always hear in my 35 year carer as a Realtor if you want to find the agent whowillwork the hardest go find a hungry agent-- a grenhorn. We Realtors have all been there for heaven's sakes.

I will always remember my first sale sumer 1974- a trailer park on the river with a commuity gator. I have told this story here a time or two. Back then agents had floor duty and you HAD to be at the office. My shift was 8 AM to noon..a Sunday morning. I said to myself who in the world will call the office wanting to see property on a Sunday morning. Threw on a pair of jeans a halter top and flip flops and to the office I went. 10 a.m. I get a call from a couple at a trailer park on the Hillsborough River and wants to see the property now!!! I grabed a pencil mind you, a contract,and off I went. Showed the park including the gator and thre the gator into the contract as well, because the buiyer wanted it. The deal was full price cash and they buyer pulled out $5,000 cash deposit at McDonald's where I wrote the contract. I got ketcup on the contract because we were all eating at the same time. I was so worried somebody was going to break into my house that Sunday night, I slept with that $5,000 under my pillow.
Monday morning, I hand the contract to my broker and he fell off his chair laughing. I wasn't sure if it was because the contract was in pencil, had ketchup on it, or included "a gator"
in "the description".

It was my third day as a Realtor, and that one sale was more volume than any other seasoned agent in the office for that month. That Broker told that story over the years to incoming agents.

Of course, I had to negotiate the gator out of the contract, because Florida Wildlife heard about it and I almost make the newspapers.LOL.

My pint to this whole story is it is okay to hire a gren or hungry agent. They have a broker
who reviews all contracts and assists.. Buyers usually have their attorney review the contgract and you can certainly make it contingent upon that. The only thing that bothers me about your friend is giving a wrong answer and I have always said to this day..let me check on that for you...if I wasn't sure. I would have that conversation with her about that. While new agents sometimes try to excel to be knowledgeable..mistakes are easy when you don't
double check on a point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9256 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I have always heard in my 35 year career as a Realtor~~ if you want to find the agent who will work the hardest.. go find a hungry agent-- a greenhorn. We Realtors have all been there for hea*ven's sakes.

I will always remember my first sale summer 1974- a mobile home park on the river with a community gator. I have told this story here a time or two.
Back then agents had floor duty and you HAD to be at the office. My shift was 8 AM to noon..a Sunday morning. I said to myself who in the world will call the office wanting to see property on a Sunday morning. Threw on a pair of jeans a halter top and flip flops and to the office I went. 10 a.m. I get a call from a couple at a trailer park on the Hillsborough River and wants to see the property now!!!
I grabbed a pencil, mind you, a contract,and off I went. Showed the park including the gator and threw the gator into the contract as well, because the buyer wanted it.
The deal was full price cash and the buyer pulled out $5,000 cash deposit at McDonald's where I wrote the contract. I got ketchup on the contract because we were all eating at the same time. I was so worried somebody was going to break into my house that Sunday night, I slept with that $5,000 under my pillow.
Monday morning, I hand the contract to my broker and he fell off his chair laughing. I wasn't sure if it was because the contract was in pencil, had ketchup on it, or included "a gator"
in "the description".LOL

It was my third day as a Realtor, and that one sale was more volume than any other seasoned agent in the office for that month. That Broker told that story over the years to many incoming agents.

Of course, I had to negotiate the gator out of the contract, because Florida Wildlife Commission heard about it and I almost make the newspapers.LOL.

My point to this whole story is it is okay to hire a green or hungry agent. Gi, and make that first sale. They have a broker who reviews all contracts and assists.. Buyers usually have their attorney review the contract and you can certainly make it contingent upon that.
The only thing that bothers me about your friend is giving a wrong answer ~~and I have always said to this day..let me check on that for you...if I wasn't sure. I would have that conversation with her about that. While new agents sometimes try to excel to be knowledgeable..mistakes are easy when you don't
double check on a point.

Ah,that memory was fun. REL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9256 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I'm afraid I disagree with most of the answers to your post. I don't think it's right to kick your friend to the curb (so to speak) just because she's new at her job. As long as someone is double checking her work, i.e., broker or attorney, everything should go well. And you will have helped her gain the experience she needs to continue her career.

We were all new once and needed someone to take a chance on us. My very first deal, years ago, was with a lovely couple who knew I was inexperienced, went with me anyway, and held MY hand through a VA financing!

If your friend is as nice as you say, I don't think she would mind if you asked her to make sure everything is double checked by her broker. She knows you know she is new, and shouldn't take offense.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post