Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Question for anyone who might know
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for anyone who might know Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
Our next door neighbor died a few months ago. The property, about 10 acres, is in planted pines (a crop). As far as we know, he only had one son who lives out of state....so we are "assuming" (dangerous, we know) that he inheirited (sp) the property.
We can see that someone has been over there as all his vehicles are gone...pickup truck & motor home and someone has pulled some old rotten cabinets out of the mobile home...they are in a pile outside.
But since we have had some pretty nasty storms with some heavy winds....we have had a couple of trees fall over from his property, onto the fence and on our side. My DH "trespassed" yesterday to bring down another rotten tree on his side of the fence so that it didn't fall and wreck a bunch of our stuff including several lemon trees I have planted where it would have fallen. It was leaning into another tree...and DH roped it, wrapped the rope around another tree and pulled so it would go down in another direction.

We would like to contact the heir so that we can let him know what we have done and ask about what we should do in the future. There are also a bunch of invasive trees coming up near the fence...I would like to get in there & chop them all down before they get big. Right now those are only 12" to about 3' tall.

Where would we start to try to find out the fellas name & address? I have no idea.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4853 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The estate may be still in probate court. The county is where I would inquire as to whom the executor or recipient of the estate is. Should be able to find out by the deceased owners name and or property address/description, at least that would give you a start.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not put a note at the front door if you see evidence that someone has been there.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Also, would code enforcement be an option also? even if the state is not yet settled, doesn't somone has responsibility if there is danger of damege to adyacent property?

Posts: 5003 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes, Code Enforcement should be notified about problems at the property. The owner's name and address should be available at your municipal office and at your county tax office, etc.

Posts: 3157 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We are in the county, there is little "codes" out here. This county just passed it's first zoning about 6-7 yrs. ago. All the "codes" that I know of are covered under the zoning ordinance.
Also, if there was a will with only one relative, it may not be necessary for it go to probate in Ga....been there/done that when first hubby passed.
But I will check there just in case. Yes, that is a start. I guess I could also check with the county tax office too, in case that has been changed already cause they are sure to want their property taxes paid this year

I have thought about putting a note on the door, but have no way of knowing when anyone will show up again. I thought it would be better to try to find an address...but I may do the note also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4853 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also check the funeral home who may or may not give you the information but it is worth a try.

Posts: 7041 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ga.karen:
There are also a bunch of invasive trees coming up near the fence...I would like to get in there & chop them all down before they get big. Right now those are only 12" to about 3' tall. [QUOTE]

It may be "wrong", but I would just get to choppin' if I was you. By the time you track down who to ask, get in touch with them, explain the situation, HOPE they understand your concerns, wait for their decision, and then wait for them to take action, these problem trees will be yards tall and real pain in the patootie.

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jewel:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ga.karen:
There are also a bunch of invasive trees coming up near the fence...I would like to get in there & chop them all down before they get big. Right now those are only 12" to about 3' tall. [QUOTE]

It may be "wrong", but I would just get to choppin' if I was you. By the time you track down who to ask, get in touch with them, explain the situation, HOPE they understand your concerns, wait for their decision, and then wait for them to take action, these problem trees will be yards tall and real pain in the patootie.

I agree, and I may do just that & tell them "after the fact". We already have the neighbor on the other side of us letting these things grow and that is what is spreading them in the whole area...they are Tallow Trees, aka popcorn trees. They are on our state invasive list in the top five as being some of our worst threats to native trees & plants.

posted Hide Post
Ummmmm, that is called trespassing. It is against the law you know, even out in the sticks so to speak.

Posts: 7041 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ga.karen: Here is what I would do in the order of doing it:

1. Put a note on the front door.

2. Call the funeral home and ask if you could hand-deliver a note to be forwarded (they will not give you the address) OR, in the alternative, explain the situation to the funeral home employee and ask that they call the person who was in charge of the service with your concerns as time is of the essence; give them your telephone number and request a call back.

3. Send a letter via over-night express mail (so you will at least know if it was received) to the last known tax payer of this address pursuant to the tax records but it will probably just be the same address so no help in this situation.

Good luck ~ as tempting as it might be, never a good idea to trespass and take matters into your own hands ~ go through the right channels. Good luck.... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I know that here it would be quite easy to find the name of the responsible person.If the municipal office does not have it, try the tax office, utility companies, tax collector, post office (they will not give you the name/address most likely) but they may forward them a letter. The deceased person's mail has to be going to someone.

You could even just send a letter to the address next door .....The Estate of......It will reach the person in charge.

Posts: 3157 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I would not put a note on the door, because that promotes break-ins.

I would not chop or trespass.

My suggestion is to call your insurance company and filing a claim. There have been storms you said. There is damage to the fence and from neighbor's fallen trees.
Your insurance company will research the owner, heir, their insurance co. etc.

Posts: 9256 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
First, the mobile home is old & falling apart, slowly. It also is not visible from the road, the property is deep & narrow much like ours & the home sits on the back side of our hill...about 1/4 mi. from the road. Anyone going back there using the driveway would have to pass VERY close to 2 more mobile homes & house on the property on the other side and also go thru a closed gate...he used to have horses in there. So a break-in would be very unlikely.
Second, we are not involving any insurance companies. Our insurance is high enough as is and the fence is his. It's just that we have to clean up the messes when the trees fall on our side. We also repair the fence since he wasn't able to in the last few years. We have paid for & replaced several rotted out wooden fence posts but that was while he was still living.
As for trespassing, the person who died gave me permission to go collect as much pine straw over there as I wanted and any time I wanted and also said it was fine if I chopped down any of those invasive trees...it only inhances his property...but he isn't alive now and that is one of the main reasons I wanted to communicate with the heir....just to make sure he didn't have a problem with it.

So, I'll contact the probate court & start there after hearing what they have to say.