Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Indoor stair railing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indoor stair railing question Sign In/Join 
posted
My son and his wife are trying to fix up their home to sell. They have redone all three bathrooms and the kitchen as well as the floors. A real estate agent friend of theirs suggested they need to replace the railing on the stairs leading to the second floor. The house was built in the early 1970's and there is only one baluster per stair which is not up to local codes. They have checked into what it would cost and it's really expensive. If they were to give it a fresh coat of paint, would that be enough or is it worth replacing it for resale?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A house does not have to be up to current code to sell it. But ask their realtor to be sure as all real estate is local.

But is it is not required I would paint and be done with it.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe she is suggesting for FHA buyers? We are doing an FHA loan and I know that handrails can be an issue with them. I don't know if that still is, but FHA likes to pick on everything!

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Since you do not know if it will be an issue, I would paint it for now. IF it is a problem you can deal with it then.

Posts: 3193 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends upon the current state/county/local regulations in the sellers' area, IMHO. Although it's true, in general, that sellers need not update their homes to current code, this is a safety issue.

Code's probably 4". (Again, it depends, however.) An inspector may call the stairs as a recommended, instead of required, item. It may depend, also, upon whether the sellers are in a buyers' market.

Did your son ask their friend about the current regulations? How about their own realtor?

If nothing else, IMHO they may want to shop around and have a contractor lined up to reduce stress during the escrow period.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 518 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. You have made some important points. I will pass this along to our son.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post