Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  What does it mean to sell a house on Land Contract?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does it mean to sell a house on Land Contract? Sign In/Join 
Picture of indycatCarol
posted
I'm just about ready to put my house on the market (DH died 1 1/2 yrs. ago and I've been selling farm equipment, finding a smaller house for me near my daughter and getting the old house cleared out (DH was a pack rat) and presentable). The farmer that has been renting the barn for 1 1/2 yrs. said he is interested in the house and property (on 22 acres) but wanted to know if I would be interested in possible a Land Contract. Told him I might be but I'd have to look into it.
What are the pros and cons of a Land Contract?
My "old" house is paid for and appraised for $180,000. After the down payment on the new house, I still owe $76,000. I was hoping to take money from the sale of the old house to pay off the new house. BTW, I'm 66 yrs. old and living on social security.

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3452 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
As in all real estate this can probably vary by state.

In SC a land contract means you hold the deed to the property until it is paid off as opposed to owner financing where the buyer receives the deed to the property at closing.

Either would be set up with a predetermined down payment, interest rate and amortization schedule. Frequently with traditional owner financing there would be a balloon payment due at the end of a set number of years.

Both of these purchase vehicles are frequently used to help facilitate a transaction when it is an unusual property or the buyer is not able to obtain a traditional mortgage.

Definitely something to discuss with your attorney. Unless the buyer is will to make a substantial down payment it will not payoff your new home. They will provide an income stream to supplement your social security.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3533 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure I am not thinking of everything but here are some pro and con's.

Pros: You get your selling price PLUS interest; you get a monthly income while still owning the property; it is often faster than a conventional loan; if they buyer defaults you have to home to sell again.

Cons: You do not get all the money at once; if the buyer does not pay you will have to go thru legal things to get them removed; you may have to do extensive repairs before it can be sold again.

There is no right answer. You will have to decide what is right for you. If you do decide to sell on land contract be sure to consult and attorney.

Posts: 7049 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I have another question. If something goes wrong with the septic tank or sump pump or any other thing connected with the house or barns, who pays for this? Or is this something that is worked out in the contract?

Posts: 3452 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have sold the home (though on a time payment plan) so they are responsible for all maintenance.

Posts: 7049 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would investigate why the buyer wants this, is your house a difficult sell, if so it might be worth considering.
If not try the open market on the MLS, you will cash out and be done with it.

Posts: 2465 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Check with an real estate attorney or Realtor to see what "land contract" means in your state...

In Florida is like an agreement for Deed. Highly recommend an attorney draw up all the documents including sales contract and closing documents.

The mortgage instrument can be quite flexible to include equipment, offer creative financing i.e. interim principal payments other than monthly payments that can range into the thousands, as well as a balloon payment after whatever number of years you are willing to hold the mortgage . For instance, a 30 yr. amorization with a 5 year balloon - as an example.

You can also draw up the document with additional provisions, right to inspection of property, property to be maintained, tax and insurance yearly receipt or can even escrow taxes and insurance in the payment.

Check him out first, criminal record, credit report, employment etc. Protect yourself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9261 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
indycatCarol, Are you still here? There have been several well-thought-out posts to your originating thread but haven't seen you post back once yet.

I do have knowledge of Land Sale Contracts but will not waste even a moment of my time unless you are willing to invest your time as well. So far, doesn't seem like it. You started this thread and disappeared just as fast so why should I spend time when it appears it was just a frivalous question on your part with no real desire to learn the answer?

Let us know if you are serious....

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I didn't get back to this. I had a sick kittie and I finally had to have her put to sleep. Tried to spend as much time with her as possible. Sorry to get your panties all in a ruffle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indycatCarol:
I'm sorry I didn't get back to this. I had a sick kittie and I finally had to have her put to sleep. Tried to spend as much time with her as possible. Sorry to get your panties all in a ruffle.

indycatCarol, I am so sorry to learn the reason you never posted back and even sorrier about the outcome. You were right to spend as much time as you could with her instead of posting here and you have my sincere condolences for your loss. Frown

I post often on the Pet Board here on this forum and most everyone who has read my posts knows how much I love cats ~ right now I have six indoor "onlies" ranging in age from one year to 19+ years ~ so I understand just how profoundly the illness of one of our fur-babies can disrupt everyday life and, rightly, cause everything else to take a back seat.

However we had no idea what was happening so your last sentence ~ "Sorry to get your panties all in a ruffle" ~ was a bit uncalled for.

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I guess I just thought " but will not waste even a moment of my time unless you are willing to invest your time as well. So far, doesn't seem like it. You started this thread and disappeared just as fast so why should I spend time when it appears it was just a frivalous question on your part with no real desire to learn the answer? " was kind of coming down on me without knowing the reason for my absence.
I spoke with the gentleman today that would like to do a land contract. So I would be very interested in what you have to tell me about it.
Here is my Ethel about a week before I had her put to sleep. She was 9 yrs. old. I still have 6 other cats ranging from 11 yrs. to 15 yrs.

posted Hide Post
indycatCarol, Ethel was such a beautiful cat and I know your heart is hurting... Thanks for posting back; take a deep breath and know that many others are with you. I'm so sorry if I added to your pain ~ I never meant to ~ can we start over? Land Sale Contracts can be quite complicated; I have posted quite a bit about them some time ago so will have to see if you can retrieve them from the archives.

I'll go now to see if it is possible...again, my condolences on Ethel's passing.

posted Hide Post
Indycat. "land contract" may differ by state or locality. Hold off verbally accepting an offer until your understand leagaleese... don't sign a sales (or lease) agreement before consulting a lawyer who is not affeliated with prospective buyer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tessa89,

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Idaho Resident, the only thing I'm finding in archives are this discussion.
I will try to contact a lawyer tomorrow and see what they have to tell me.
Thank you ALL for your comments.

posted Hide Post
IndycatCarol, I'm sorry that you weren't able to find a rather long post I posted some years ago about Land Sale Contracts ~ it's still there but it will take time to locate ~ more time than I am willing to invest!

Bottom line if you want to find it, click on my user name and go to my profile, then click on "earlier posts" and search ~ good luck ~ there are 219 pages and counting and I didn't find the one I wrote some time ago that addressed your particular situation - sorry as it really did speak to all of your questions... oh, well.

So you are thinking about entering into a Land Sale Contract with someone who wants to purchase your family farm of 22 acres? First, a disclaimer, as laws vary widely between states, anything I post here needs to be "vetted" by qualified CPA's and attorneys in your jurisdiction but a land sale contract can be mutually beneficial for both buyers and sellers.

A Land Sale Contract simply means that you are holding the deed as just as a bank would do, you will receive the payments PLUS the interest but the property is the buyers property and they are responsible for everything that happens there. They maintain the property, pay all associated costs ~ you are NOT a landlord. However, should they fail to make the payments and decide to walk away, you will be left with what remains behind. So, choose wisely, these agreements can be golden for both sides or a disaster in the making....

It is crucial that you have an attorney well-versed in Land Sale Contracts to assist you along the way; draft the contract to anticipate every contingency and make sure your interests are protected.

Is this the way for you to go? Well, there probably won't be a lump sum at closing so that you can live mortgage-free BUT, instead, you might be gaining an interest-bearing asset that is better than what you might be able to invest on your own.

Up to you ~ sell now for a set price or take a chance on a Land Sale Contract? Decisions, decisions.... I know what I would do ~ the Land Sale Contract ~ but only after fully vetting the buyer. You won't get a lump sum to help buy your new place BUT you will be getting a monthly income that might be more than what you can safely invest ~ your choice, let us know what you decide. Cool

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I did speak with the farmer that wants the land contract. In fact, he has been renting my barn for the last 1 1/2 yrs. for some of his equipment. He has also helped me clear out "trash" and metal that was left in the barn after my husband died. We split all the "income" from the metal sales (he hauled it to the recycle place) and other items put in an auction he hauled for me. If I hadn't had 2 other farmers already renting some of the land, he would have rented that also.
I told him I would like to have a beginning lump payment enough to cover paying off my new house and he said that would probably be possible. So hopefully I can get THIS house paid off and get monthly payments.
Thank you for your help on this question.

posted Hide Post
The prospective farmer sounds like a nice guy helping you clear out scrap metal, however before
quoting prices, check with a Realtor on Comps and Representation and have an attorney draw up the land contract.

I have talked to many sellers over the years who underquoted their sales price to a buyer because of lack of professional representation.

Be smart!

posted Hide Post
IndycatCarol, Glad you are going to consult with an attorney ~ it is crucial that you engage one to represent your interests, draft the contract and guide you through the process ~ just make sure that the attorney is well-qualified in the area.

Something I didn't mention before ~ if you decide to go with a Land Sale Contract, you REALLY should utilize an escrow holder to hold the documents, receive and disperse the payments and make the required disclosures to the IRS. Here in Idaho, many title insurance companies also act as escrow holders; ask the attorney what is customary in your state.

What documents? Well, usually there would be the following documents, at a minimum, although it might vary by state:

Contract of Sale of Real Property
Memorandum of Sale of Real Property - to be recorded with the county recorder's office so that tax notices are sent to the new buyer (since your name is still listed as the official owner of the property)
Warranty Deed from you to the new owners
Quitclaim Deed from the new owners back to you to be used in the event of a default
Escrow Instructions

You will also need to be vigilant in making sure that insurance is in effect and that taxes are being paid since you will remain the "official" owner of the property until the contract is satisfied.

It's good that the farmer is prepared to make a substantial down payment. Not only so you can buy the new place mortgage-free but, also, because the bigger the down payment, the better the chance that he won't let it go into default. And speaking of default, I would suggest a 30 day period, no longer. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. Cool

PS. I also agree with REL's comment to consult a realtor so that the price you agree with is fair to both you and the prospective buyer. Classic definition of fair market value is the amount a willing buyer will pay that a willing seller will accept.

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
...and when they go bad, they can go really, really bad. Took over two years, bankruptcy hearings, lawyers and a cash incentive to get the property back. Good news? We sold it again...for cash!

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3652 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to talk with a local expert about this? There are people that train for years to get an expert's title for a reason. With a simple review he could give you a competent reliable advice. I found a custom essay on real estate, only by reading it I realized I learned few interesting already.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now why do I think that if I click on your link, allie, that it will take me to a commercial site? Hmmm ~ I know! Because the last post on this thread was November of last year and you are resurrecting it in order to post your link?

PS. Numerous previous suggestions to consult an experienced, qualified real estate professional ~ either agent or attorney ~ made that point in previous posts. So why the sudden interest in am inactive thread now? Did you read the "no advertising" prohibition before registering?

posted Hide Post
You can get exact profit on Land for Sale. Selling a land is a very beneficial investment and helps to get the right value of a property. http://highmeadowtexas.com/builders.php

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Albionthompson, your post has nothing to do with this topic, just an advertisement, which as you probably know, ISN'T ALLOWED!!!!

posted Hide Post
Indycar- don't do anyting without a good Rel Estate Attorney and make sure he/she specializes in real estate.
On a land contract in our area you hold the note, mortgage, and Deed..until paid in full. You don't have to foreclose because you haven't signed over the Deed. Credit worthiness is key. Interest rate can be on esculated schedule,and set up an escrow for taxes and insurance pymts.

Don't confuse this with a PMM purchase money mortgage, where you only hold the note and mortgage. Land contract should be safer, but check the laws in your state to be sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Thanks, so far have not heard anything from the farmer that wants to buy it on land contract. His house has not sold.
And for some reason, the realtor keeps showing the house to people that don't qualify for the amount the house is listed for. She suggested and I was going to tell her to lower the house price by $10,000 as it has been on the market for 3 1/2 mos.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. We were wondering what was happening. It does seem to be time for a price reduction.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You may not need to "foreclose" on a land contract, but eviction is whole other issue. This can take months to accomplish, after they stop paying.

(A nephew wants to purchase FinLaws home. Cannot qualify for a loan, and wanted a land contract instead. No way. Can one imagine ramifications of evicting a relative and his family in case of non payment?)

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our aim is to provide exceptional real estate services, we make sure every client is completely satisfied. Whether you are buying or selling a home, condominium, or a business in mississauga, Aamir Yaqoob can get the deal done. suction strainers manufacturers in Hyderabad | Reception Stage Decoration || drilling equipments supplier in India ||| Lab furniture manufacturers ||| Bouncies || Vacuum tank manufacturers | Wire line core Barrels We are proudly the experts in mississauga real estate

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that about your nephew Conrad. I am in a similar situation. I don't have $50000 sitting in my bank so I can't afford to even think about getting a house. No one will lend at the moment unless you have a salary of $60000+ per annum!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that about your nephew Conrad. I am in a similar situation. I don't have $50000 sitting in my bank so I can't afford to even think about getting a house. Revisor Skellefteå No one will lend at the moment unless you have a salary of $60000+ per annum!

owais raees

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a land contract, the seller finances the buyer's purchase instead of having the buyer rely on a third party lender.

Pros:

1.The buyer doesn't have to qualify for a loan and therefore, this attracts buyers who wouldn't have been able to purchase the property otherwise.
2. The terms of payment are flexible.

Cons:

1. A land contract expedite matters and takes a long time to complete.
2. The buyer is liable to the seller for any deficiency.

Hunter Rentals & Property Management

Posts: 9 | Location: US | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I collected much information about the how the land dealings happen and I liked your proposals and contract points very much. Thanks.
Regards,
Pure Moroccan Argan Oil For Hair and Skin

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I thought the full moon was a couple of weeks ago. Confused

Fun and Info

Posts: 3533 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since a land contract specifies your sale made of any certain merchandise associated with real estate among a vendor and consumer, a territory deal may very well be an exclusive form of real estate deal.
statement of purpose graduate school

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gsdg sd,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seller holds mortgage for x years at x payment and you don't get your ded til then.

absolutely do not do this wilth a seller if there is an outstanding mortgage.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
seller holds mortgage for x years at x payment and you don't get your deed til then.

absolutely do not do this wilth a seller if there is an outstanding mortgage.

posted Hide Post
In my area we usually use a Purchase Money Mortgage for Seller financing,foreclosure here is by Advertisement as opposed to always going before a judge in a Land Contract situation.The Buyer gets the Deed at closing with a Purchase Money Mortgage,ere we have Attorneys prepare these Mortgages for a minimal charge usually about $150.00 and the Note is recorded at Closing. It is better for the Seller and the Buyer & is also less expensive to Foreclose in case of a default. It is never cheap to foreclose on anyone and lots of time repairs will have to be made on the house before it can go back on the market. Always discuss with a real estate attorney when thinking about any Private Owner Financing.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10084 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post