Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  FEMA maps/flood insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FEMA maps/flood insurance Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
I know some time back that someone was hollering about their flood insurance. Here is some info for you and everyone else too!

quote:
When Nancy and Mike Heath wanted to refinance their home, they were stunned to learn they would have to pay for flood insurance to get the new mortgage. Their house sits up on a hill with no real risk of flooding. "All of a sudden, we were slapped with this huge flood insurance payment that we didn't expect," Nancy said.

The Heaths' bank said that, based on official maps made by the government agency FEMA, they live in a flood zone. But a TODAY investigation found that some of those maps, which are used around the country, are way out of date and riddled with errors.

The Heaths' map, for instance, was from 1981 — more than 30 years old. According to it, there was a brook running right through the center of their house.

"It's ludicrous. There is no brook," Nancy said.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-sto...nnecessary-insurance

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5003 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on the State, we have new maps for the flood zones, and frankly, we are not on a flood zone, but still we have flood insurance. The reason that being in Florida and having been thru Ivan, we found out that many claims were not paid because the insurances claimed that the damages were due to flood. The insurances are marvelous companies to try to get out of paying.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I have lost all confidence in fEMA long ago.

Posts: 7219 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing huge parking lots of 100's of FEMA trailers along our Florida Interstates, and wondered why are those here..as Katrina had already hit the La., Ala. coastine. I have always been concerned about their priorities, leadership,
and principles.

Of latest concern is FEMA's 2012 Reform Act for Flood Insurance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9286 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
REL - Thank C-ongress for that little goodie. I know NAR was initially thrilled with the legislation last year because many in C-ongress were determined to kill flood insurance. Unfortunately, we lost the fed subsidy. Anyone in a flood zone will see their rates go up for the next 4 years.

btw - Not all people covered by Flood Insurance are rich folks with million dollar ocean front second homes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post