Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  buyer beware-Auctions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

buyer beware-Auctions Sign In/Join 
Picture of real estate lady
posted
I wanted to share an experience. I took a buyer to auction which happened to take place in the front yard of the subject property. The auction company was well known, and I had done business with them before with no problem.

My buyer got the highest bid and we were allowed the opportunity to inspect the house just before auction. There were no utilities on.

Don't know if you are familiar with auctions, but no contingency allowed re inspection. We were not allowed into the house again until 48 hours before closing, and that is standard in their contract. However, we did go to the property several times in the interim to check it out from the outside and looking in. The house appeared as though locks were changed since auction with lock parts on the ground. While the house was locked, we couldn't help to think there may have been a break in. A search around the homes' exterior determined cut wires.

Upon returning to my office I called the auction company with worry the home has been broken into, again asking for the code for access. Denied, and was told yes somebody cut some wire, may be a cable wire, and may have been the previous owner mad. That answer didn't put our mind to rest on our inquiry. Thus, we had to wait til the 48 hour mark, got the code, and entered to find all the copper had been pulled from the house. The way we knew that was a dismembered power box in the garage, and wires standing up like soldiers in the attic! Well if the locks were changed the auction company certainly knew that, wasn't telling us there was a break in after buyer bought it. AT that point I demanded the buyers money back per his instruction, which was the tune of about $7,000 to the best of my memory. Denied.

A rash of daily emails from me for the next week calling for misrepresentation and a threat to the local media finally got them to return the buyers deposit and cancel the deal. However up to the last minute they were reminding us we missed the closing and buyer was in default.

The nerve of those people.

I haven't taken a buyer to auction since, and never plan to either!

Buyer beware.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9253 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this recent, Rel?

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
no. Don't take investors to auction any more, but am selling foreclosures.

Posts: 9253 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post