Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  We are under contact, but there is an Open House Scheduled?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are under contact, but there is an Open House Scheduled? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all!

We went under contract on Tuesday 10/8, and it just checked the listing today and an open house has been scheduled for this Sunday 10/13.
Is this normal?
We already have our home inspection scheduled and all our paperwork into our lender. There is no way the sellers can back out if they were to get a better offer, is there?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The open house may have already been scheduled and advertised. Open houses are a means for agents to attract new business not necessarily to sell the home they are holding open.

Then again they may have some concerns about your offer and be looking for a back up offer and trying not to lose any marketing time. Real estate is local so the best person to ask this question is your agent.

Posts: 524 | Location: mi, usa | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
If it is a larger agency the person in the office who sends in the newspaper info probably didn't know in time to cancel, or the agent didn't notify that person.

In our local paper the deadline for Sunday Open House ads is Wednesday. I'm sure if I needed to cancel I could do it up until Thursday for the Sunday paper, but that would not help Friday and Saturday.

You should contact your agent and have him/her contact the seller's agent that it is still showing in the listing an open house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
To Alleria and others, not to hurt any feelings, but I was on the 'other side of that fence'. We were under contract, our house was taken off the MLS, etc...then the 'buyer' literally disappeared to parts unknown a couple days before closing and we were left 'holding the bag' and then back on the market for another full year. That year nearly ruined my health; especially since it was in the slump years!

In my experiences of selling, a house is NOT SOLD until the check clears.

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry it's taken me a long time to respond.

The open house actually ended up being cancelled. When my husband went to the house for our home inspection last week there was a sign hanging in the window the house was contingent and the open house was cancelled.

Home inspection went extremely well. Not one single major concern.

Now we just need to get thru the FHA appraisal. It is supposed to be tomorrow, I think.
But our agent is out of town. Ahh! And the listing agent is also out of town.
So it might have to be rescheduled.
I am not happy about that, can not another agent go let them in for crying out loud. lol

I do not want closing pushed back.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a clean inspection.

About the appraiser - did your agent make arrangements for the appraiser before leaving town? Text your agent to find out if someone is there to back him up. It really is not necessary for an agent to be present for the appraisal if the property is on an MLS lock box, I just prefer to be there because it is part of my job. The appraiser should have contacted the agent about access to the property.

Good luck and continue to keep us posted.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our agent talked to the appraiser last week apparently and told us on Saturday that he was scheduled for Tuesday but that he was having trouble finding someone to let him into the house.

So an appraiser can get in on their own? It is on a lock box.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alleria:
Our agent talked to the appraiser last week apparently and told us on Saturday that he was scheduled for Tuesday but that he was having trouble finding someone to let him into the house.

So an appraiser can get in on their own? It is on a lock box.

Depends on the bank. I'm surprised neither agent asked their broker to send another agent. It is time consuming for the other agent, but if your agent doesn't have a good relationship with other agents in the office - he could offer to pay them a showing fee. Smile

Fun and Info

posted Hide Post
Ok. Well I just got off the phone with our agent. Someone is going to be at the house tomorrow with the appraiser.

Also, the sellers have fixed 2 known issues that would have probably been noted for FHA. Wahoo!

I think these sellers need or want to close just as quickly as we do.

There is still 1 possible issue (known) that FHA may require to be fixed, but we will see.

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
See.. your agent or the listing agent was on top of it after all. They stay in close contact, and most appraisers have Electronic locbox keys in our area. All agents well know you do not want to upset an appraiser.

Posts: 9311 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post