Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  Finding Most popular Neighborhoods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding Most popular Neighborhoods Sign In/Join 
Picture of real estate lady
posted
If you are unfamiliar with a new city you are moving to, what is the best way to find out about
most popular neighborhoods? Best to rent for a while for discovery?

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like driving around, eating at local restaurants and talking to servers, hostesses. I like visiting attractions and talking to the workers there. I strike up conversations in stores and grocery stores especially.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best way would be through hiring any renowned buying or selling agent in the proposed area like MLS Homes for Sale In Burnaby. The area covering market, restaurants, hospital might be the place place for buying any home at.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jamesmorris,

Posts: 1 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What planet are you on?

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Research. Some of the most high end neighborhoods are plots of expensive homes....where no one is ever home, as they are out earning money for the mortgage/taxes 24/7. So it might be you prefer a friendlier venue.
If you can visit and actually walk the neighborhoods you can often find out a lot about neighborhood friendliness and habits.

Homes are important...but your surroundings and neighbors can be a good match to your lifestyle too.

R.E.Lady, your picture is nice...but would be a whole lot nicer if not so LARGE?Wink

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I didn't do that..HGTV did..wish they would reduce it lookslike I had too much sun!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I believe your avatar photo just needs to be downsized by reducing the number of pixels in your target photo?

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
k conrad, but if I end up with half a face don't blame me?!!**!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
If you are unfamiliar with a new city you are moving to, what is the best way to find out about
most popular neighborhoods? Best to rent for a while for discovery?

Yes - we rented the last time we moved (to a city new to us) and knew so little about the city that buying just wasn't right at the time. We loved the neighborhood we were in, but ultimately needed the time to explore the area to find the right home.

Posts: 2976 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I am one for driving around neighborhoods...after 5 when people are out. Houston has a great local forum for both real estate and chat. I've found it to be a wealth of information in my researching and finding good neighborhoods.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
what helped us was a friend of my sister...while they lived on the other side of the state, he was a school board member and told us which dist. to look in...also, i've also maintained a certain distance for dh to commute from day one...it was a no brainer from the get-go...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post