Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Buying & Selling Homes
  HELP! Culvert in back yard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Culvert in back yard Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello!

I am new to the message boards. I recently signed my paperwork to start construction on my new home. It will be the final house built in the sub-division. wooded area to the side and back of the house. Only problem is, I have a culvert that drains out of the back yard of my property. I met with the project manager and my sales associate last Saturday to see how we could make this more presentable on the property (it is not running anywhere right now and is just a ditch with standing water in it).. the project manager told he would extend it out of the back of my property to run down the hill. I wish it didn't run on my property at all, but we got a pretty good deal on the house. I have been pressuring the realtor to give me something written out that said they will deal with the issue so it runs out of the back down the hill, she also said she will try to hide it with bushes. I have still not received anything via e-mail or writing which makes me nervous. Anybody have some input on this issue? I appreciate your time. -Bryce

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
We have had that twice. One builder put in a buried drain pipe that ran near our lot line. In our current neighborhood several lots have swells/swales to carry runoff. Depending on how much water they expect it to carry it can constructed to be unnoticeable. If it is more than a few inches deep I agree about having it in writing on how it will be constructed and concealed or made a part of your landscape. You might ask a landscaper to review the plan. But I would encourage you to get it in writing from the builder.

Edited to add: Another concern is erosion if it is expected to carry a large amount of water. Make sure the plan covers that problem also.

Your problem is why everyone should have their own representative when buying a home. Right now, everyone you are working with is paid by the builder. A buyer's representative does not cost you any more to have on your side. I have had to go to bat for new home buyers more than once to help with issues in new construction.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming,

Thank you so much for your input. That was extremely useful. I will make sure that I get everything in writing. I will also have someone to inspect the home on my behalf as well. I am a first time home buyer and wanted to make sure everything was in line before we broke ground. Thanks again!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Just a question....who owns the hill that the water will run down?
That "could" be a problem! Someone may need to check codes on where that water can be drained to.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post