Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a kitchen! Sign In/Join 
Picture of JSB
posted
All I can say is WOW!

What is your favorite part?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We have a goose neck faucet which I like. Our window is too close to open because of it. The space behind the faucet was an excellent plan. I could see some fresh herbs being placed there.

Next, is the cooking area. We have been wanting a gas range. This one would really work us if we had the kitchen space THIS kitchen offers. There was a pic of a cabinet beside the range that could hold the Olive oil and seasonings. Excellent plan for people who love to cook.

Then, there's the boat tiles used as a backsplash. OK....who lost their boat for this project? What a loss! and gain!

OK....looking back at the initial question....I'm making part plural for PARTS. There are several elements of the kitchen I like.

Posts: 5217 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then, there's the boat tiles used as a backsplash. OK....who lost their boat for this project? What a loss! and gain!

OK....looking back at the initial question....I'm making part plural for PARTS. There are several elements of the kitchen I like.

Me too, Trish! I love so much about this design and can't decide on a favorite.

I love those boat tiles, too. But am wondering. They may be water-proof, but are they olive oil proof, tomato sauce proof, flour dust proof, etc, etc. We have some messy, messy cooks in my family. Frown

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing about the messy cooks in our family. Since there's not much workspace to the left of the sink, I think the tiles are safe. Smile

CORRECTION: I showed my hub the boat tiles, since he asked what were boat tiles. I noticed a large mirror in front of them. I think their expecting us!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
It would take a bigger mirror than that to protect the tiles from the Chef-to-Be! But that's a step in the right direction. Shields Up!

Re-direction probably would work better - keep most activity on the island and use the sink area for clean-up. Plenty of room for several budding chefs at that island. Any idea how long it is? Looks like it could be 15 ft. (5 ft range!!!! Love it!)

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of Mr.Bill
posted Hide Post
Nice counter space for preparing fresh frog legs in case "Hoppy" ( my pet frog,) misbehaves.

{Proud Member of the Flapjaw Club}
~♥~ ~♥~

Posts: 3594 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I agree, this is one neat home. The kitchen is fantastic as you all have mentioned. My favorite, double ovens.

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5645 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Bill:
Nice counter space for preparing fresh frog legs in case "Hoppy" ( my pet frog,) misbehaves.

Plenty of counter space for frog jumping contests. Best leave those legs where they belong.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of BeachLadylovesJackT
posted Hide Post
I could really get use to this kitchen if I had to Wink o dear lawd now I have to worry about Hoppy misbehavin' Eek

Namaste
Originally registered Feb 2004 -then- gumby took me down
Lifetime winner of Jack Thomasson ♥

♫ Take time to laugh; it is the music of the soul ♫

Life is worth nothing without your dreams and passion.

Posts: 707 | Location: sum beach.....sum where | Registered: Jul 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLadylovesJackT:
I could really get use to this kitchen if I had to Wink o dear lawd now I have to worry about Hoppy misbehavin' Eek

Not a problem...

it's when the *ants* get out of control....

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of sendchocolate
posted Hide Post
It's a very beautiful kitchen and I love the range but no pantry. Where is one suppose to put all the food to feed the masses and their dishes or am I missing something?

Posts: 1091 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Is that cabinet to the left of the fridge a pantry?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of sendchocolate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB:

I have been trying to find a picture of the inside of that cabinet.. Doesn't look very big but sometimes the 360 makes things look smaller then they really are.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sendchocolate:
quote:

I have been trying to find a picture of the inside of that cabinet.. Doesn't look very big but sometimes the 360 makes things look smaller then they really are.

In the photos it looks like it could be about 1.5 ft wide. But the handles are all wrong. They should be in the middle for a pantry. Being as the handles are on the left, would indicate they are expected to be used from the Living Room side. Does my logic seem reasonable?

I can't imaging what they could be except perhaps some much needed storage for LR stuff. Smile

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
Attention to detail is poor in this kitchen. JSB is correct that the tall cabinet's handles show the hinge location is wrong, the doors should swing the other way.

Also, you can see that the appliances were ordered incorrectly - some have the "Professional" style handles, some have the "European" style.

Both of these problems can be fixed, by ordering replacement handles for half the appliances and by ordering new doors for the cabinet. I'd be ordering a new, wide cabinet for the area where the open stainless shelves are anyway.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sendchocolate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
Attention to detail is poor in this kitchen. JSB is correct that the tall cabinet's handles show the hinge location is wrong, the doors should swing the other way.

Also, you can see that the appliances were ordered incorrectly - some have the "Professional" style handles, some have the "European" style.

Both of these problems can be fixed, by ordering replacement handles for half the appliances and by ordering new doors for the cabinet. I'd be ordering a new, wide cabinet for the area where the open stainless shelves are anyway.

WOW!! You and JSB have really good eyes and even better computers then I do.. If anyone from the MB gets to visit the DH14 maybe they could get pictures of all those handles. I bet they caught that and fixed it.

Adding a wide cabinet to the right of the sink is a great idea and looks like the metal shelf might fit on the other side of the dining room.

If you are going to change the cabinet door that opens the wrong way then why not add a wider cabinet there too. You could use some of that for living room storage and some for pantry.

I would add some cabinets to the garage too and stockpile food, water and toilet paper, etc. Just in case I got snowed in...

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Send & Chuck, those are great ideas to help with the lack of storage in the house.

Might make the extra "LR" and "DR" cabinets a slightly different style or color. Otherwise it might look like the kitchen should have been larger but you went cheap & "small" on the island. (Tho' 15 ft could hardly be called small)

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Honestly, it seems way more likely to me that the wrong stuff came in, but they installed it anyways.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed, the handles will most likely be just perfect for me.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5645 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nursejudy:
I'm left handed, the handles will most likely be just perfect for me.

Still wouldn't be convenient for the kitchen. Picture this: handles on the left mean that the hinge is on the right so the swing of the door would favor opening by someone in the LR.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. if the case, perhaps they will replace it. It sure looks beautiful though. I wish there was a pantry, perhaps there is a surprise somewhere.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
15+ ft of island plus at least that much along the wall - maybe that's enough kitchen storage? I don't have a pantry and manage alright.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
maybe there is enough storage in that long counter JSB, but I would love a pantry.It is a gorgiuos kitchen.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
After viewing the video about the kitchen, and realizing the length of the kitchen island space, I realize it is much larger than MANY kitchens with attention to detail.

Creative sorts are capable of creating pantries in VARIOUS places throughout a house. If it's not there, it will be. Smile

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I agree Trish. It is really a beautiful kitchen plus lots of seating for guests between the dinning room and the kitchen bar area. I love the appliances, especially the double ovens, that's my dream. It would make large holiday meals go so much smoother when cooking rather then timing of everything with one oven.

I just love the entire living area, kitche, great room and dining room. It makes me Smile

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of sendchocolate
posted Hide Post
Are there any pictures of the cabinets along the island side? I can't find any and I'm wondering what they put on that side? I like big drawers next to the cook top to hold the pots and pans. Drawers are so easy to get stuff in and out. I would want a built in trash can too or a trash compactor. Do they still make trash compactors?

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nursejudy:

I just love the entire living area, kitchen, great room and dining room. It makes me Smile

Me, too. I can really see myself orchestrating a party from behind that island.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any pictures of the cabinets along the island side? I can't find any and I'm wondering what they put on that side? I like big drawers next to the cook top to hold the pots and pans. Drawers are so easy to get stuff in and out. I would want a built in trash can too or a trash compactor. Do they still make trash compactors?

#6 in the kitchen series shows drawers on the right side of the range and a cabinet on the end. #8 shows what looks like a spice cabinet to the left of the range, drawers next to that and a cabinet on the end. Looks like you got your wish, Send!

I like drawers for pots, too. The easiest way to store them.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:

...But the handles are all wrong. They should be in the middle for a pantry. Being as the handles are on the left, would indicate they are expected to be used from the Living Room side. Does my logic seem reasonable?

I know - tacky to follow up on your own post, but what the hey...

I was rummaging around the pictures for DH2010, which up to now was my very fav DH. Sort of to compare & contrast with DH2014. And there in the kitchen collection, image #11 clearly shows a tall skinny cabinet to the left of the oven stack that looks very much like the one in DH2014. And would you believe, like DH2014, the handle is on the LEFT - away from where you probably would stand to get into the cabinet. Take a look.

http://www.hgtv.com/dream-home.../pictures/index.html

What's up with these cabinets? Am I missing something?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Must be a new fad JSB. I really loved the kitchen in 2009 in Sonoma, it had two pantrys.

This one is lovely also,I am sure the cabinets are great, I'd like to see them a little closer. The appliances are beyond dreamy.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
NJ, I really hope you have a chance to tour the house.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I hope so as well.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a very beautiful kitchen and I love the range but no pantry. Where is one suppose to put all the food to feed the masses and their dishes or am I missing something?

Looks like there are 2 pull out cabinets - one on either side of the stove. And I'm beginning to think they are too big for spices. Could these be the pantry?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
There isn't enough storage in the kitchen for me.

Posts: 1118 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasmineNClifton
posted Hide Post
I loved the kitchen. I agree I would have liked a little more storage, but I also have 4 kids. Other then that it was amazing!

Posts: 5 | Location: Richland WA | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I really hope I can tour as i want to see the kitchen up close and personal. Sometimes there is more storage then you can perceive on the 360. The appliances are really wonderful. i always have wanted a double oven, plus this one also has a micro/convection combo as well.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if that closet to the left of the fridge is intended to be a broom closet?

NJ, *I* can't wait until you get to snoop around.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I"m hoping it's a pantry JSB as I would certainly need one. There is a large closet in the mud room that states would be great for the cleaning items.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
Attention to detail is poor in this kitchen.

I agree. I noticed the European and professional handles as well.

a pantry would have been helpful given the lack of storage in the kitchen. if they'd made the island about a foot and a half wider they could have put cabinets on the side with the bar stools. it would have not been easily accessible but it's a good place for seldom used items like food processors and mixers.

other silly things like not a single bath towel hook or bar in the master bath. I don't know about you but I don't indulge in a clean towel with every shower.

the designers make things look pretty but they don't seem to ever consider how a room would actually 'live' and skip some of the practical touches.

ideally I'd have inserted an office between the stairwell and the master bath. that way if you'd put a closet on that shared wall you could made the shower larger (walk in) and eliminated the glass doors.....making cleaning easier!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
With 15 ft worth of island and 16-17 ft along the wall, I don't think there will be any problem finding room for storage.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
quote:
With 15 ft worth of island and 16-17 ft along the wall, I don't think there will be any problem finding room for storage.

perhaps I'm just spoiled as my current kitchen is larger than the dream home kitchen and I still struggle for storage!

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Like the ideal gases we studied in school, possessions expand to fill the space available to them. Smile

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Like the ideal gases we studied in school, possessions expand to fill the space available to them. Smile

OH is a formulation scientist and he mutters, "horror vacui", whenever he's helping me put groceries away in the pantry'

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Well said JSB, my stuff can sure fill those spaces quickly. Frown

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
You'd be amazed at what you can live without. I grew up in a tiny NYC apartment, never felt like we were doing without. Now I have a large suburban house that never seems to have enough room.

Frown

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
When you move, you tend to sort and figure out what we actually need. I think we could know what we need and what would fit

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't need to take much of your old stuff when you move into the DH.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
It has the kitchen basics, but would have to look to see what is missing.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
I really like the space, island and the appliances (except I wouldn't need an espresso machine) of the DH kitchen as well. I would think the boat tiles would be treated with a urethane? finish so they could be cleaned as needed?

Posts: 134 | Location: TX | Registered: Dec 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the wooden tiles are water-proff.

But that doesn't mean olive oil proof, gravy spatter proof, spaghetti sauce proof.

They are pretty, but not terribly practical, I'm afraid.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!