Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with the kids bathroom? Sign In/Join 
posted
Why would you build a kid's bathroom without a tub? Most kids take baths, not showers. Just not very practical unless they're building for only teens and up.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Jan 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasmineNClifton
posted Hide Post
I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out. That is really interesting. My kids only take baths. They hate showers.

Posts: 5 | Location: Richland WA | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very likely there is a shower tub combo in where the toilet area is. My guest bath is set up this way. Allows for people to use the sink and get ready while another is showering or using the toilet.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
There is a tub/shower combo in the guestroom, it is just one more doorway away. They can use that if they are not old enough to take a shower and they would need supervision anyway.

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5614 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I went back and looked and sure enough there is just a shower in both the bunk and guest room. I thought for sure I saw a bathtub. I guess they have to come down to the master if they want a bath.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5614 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
With the location plus the lack of storage in this house, I'd assume that this house is intended to be a seasonal vacation home rather than a family home. And given that skiing & golfing are the major activities, families with younger kids my not be attracted to owning/renting in the area. What is called the "kids" room will likely be used by adults or possibly teens most often.

You didn't say how old your kids are, but mine switched to showers by middle school age.

YMMV

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
My children are adults, but a couple of my younger grandchildren would like to use the bath tub. It really does not matter which bathroom it is in, there is a bath tub.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nursejudy:
My children are adults, but a couple of my younger grandchildren would like to use the bath tub. It really does not matter which bathroom it is in, there is a bath tub.

it would have been nice if there had been a tub on the second floor.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Dec 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to have a tub on the second floor gwd. I would have put a combination bath shower in the bunk room, but i could make it work.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Maybe they expected the homeowners to redo the kids' bedroom into the master bedroom and keep the shower upstairs? It would be easier to keep guest bedroom on the main floor, especially if guests struggle with stairs. You just never know.....unless you're the newest home owner of this dream. Big Grin

You know the phrase: Don't count the chickens before they hatch. How many eggs are there? In this case....ONE.

I just appreciate how the architect took the concerns of previous dreamers who asked about the kids' room. There's no way of pleasing everyone, unless there's ONE owner the architect is working with.

It's a beautiful design.

Posts: 5142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the Target Homeowner would be largely absentee who would operate the home as a vacation rental. The recreational activities (skiing, golf, boating) would appeal mostly to people with older children, if any.

So the fact that what is called the Kid's Room really should be considered a Bunk Room and the fact that there is no bath tub would be moot.

This doesn't in the least take away from the fact that this is a beautiful home.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I agree, it would work well for kids or adults.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
Cmon, this is a design faux paux. One tub in the whole house that can hold how many? In a resort town? Some curious design defects with this house...

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobert:
Cmon, this is a design faux paux. One tub in the whole house that can hold how many? In a resort town? Some curious design defects with this house...

Why do you say this is a design defect? My kids have been showering since about the 2nd grade. The only thing we use the tub for is to clean large, unwieldly stuff.

It may be a defect for you, but for us, it's perfect. So we'll take it, thank-you very much.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
I think it's built this way because it's built for someone as a second home to take their family/friends to for ski/golf/gambling vacations.

Posts: 134 | Location: TX | Registered: Dec 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
lol

When my very young granddaughter came to visit, I discovered that filling a Rubbermaid totes worked quite well in giving her a bath. One recommendation for doing this "fun" bath time, place a towel on the bottom of the tote. Just an idea if someone has this problem.

The one thing we did....placed one of the hand held sprays at a lower level for shorter people & kids think it was designed just for them.

Posts: 5142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fender
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather have 2 decent sized rooms with their own bathroom and skip the tub, instead of smaller rooms, or only one bathroom. A it is, I don't let my child use the tub unattended, so having the only tub downstairs is fine by me.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Mar 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice that either (no bathtub for the kids) --- HUGE design flaw.

The designers also seem to have a thing for bunk rooms. Only an insane person would put 4-6 kids in the same room --> CHAOS!!!

And what if you have no kids? --- What adult guests are going to want to sleep in bunks (and share the room with other couples)?

Posts: 6 | Location: Iowa | Registered: Apr 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
If people are on a ski or golf trip, bunks would not be unusual. It provides an option for more room for guests.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
Really? That amazes me. Of course, I don't golf or ski, but I can't imagine that couples wouldn't want a little romantic time, even on an athletic-oriented vacation.

Posts: 6 | Location: Iowa | Registered: Apr 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Still kitty
posted Hide Post
I think if a visiting couple want a little romantic time, then they should maybe stay at one of the very nice resorts in the area. In a place like Lake Tahoe, one will always have guest who would want to visit, so it's great that there are bunk beds, allowing the house to sleep 10 people. I stayed in a commuter apartment for years because I traveled a lot and me and my roommates were all over 40 and we slept in bunk beds with no problem.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
There are options for both needs in Tahoe. Because i have a large family, i like the idea of extra beds in the home.

My sec's. daughter was a flight attendant and she shared a commuter apartment with a large group of flight attendants and pilots in New York as they were all from many parts of the country, but based in new York for work. It can work out well.

I like the idea the bathroom in the bunk room has a double sink since a large group could share the room.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RTG:
Why would you build a kid's bathroom without a tub?

It is a pricey, beautiful home.
Perhaps there is only one tub because HGTV rarely has many Dream Homes that aren't designed for anything but vacation.
Also, most have inadequate garage room, storage space and closets.

As for renting, is this pricey DH likely to be given monthly rental approval by the Association? Maybe yearly leasing would be allowed, but how many takers would one find? The climate is leathery tough.

Schaffer's Mill is almost half an hour to Lake Tahoe, not quite double that to ski at Heavenly Valley. One could join the Lonely Hearts Club for those times when you are not driving to or from some place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TangoW,

Posts: 3157 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
A short drive is not bad at all. The dream home sounds heavenly to me Smile

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by little ol' me:
Really? That amazes me. Of course, I don't golf or ski, but I can't imagine that couples wouldn't want a little romantic time, even on an athletic-oriented vacation.

I used to arrange ski trips to Vermont and this is exactly the arrangement I would look for. We cheapo-s liked splitting the bill amongst a larger number of people.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
splitting the cost always is good and makes it more affordable for everyone.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥