Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow No Show? Sign In/Join 
Picture of JSB
posted
They seem to be running a bit behind in snow accumulations in the mountains this year.

http://www.northstarcalifornia.../snowfall_201213.asp

Many are probably hoping the rest of the season will make up the difference - Cali has been running a bit of a drought.

And besides, it wouldn't be Our DH2014 without piles of snow accumulating on the outdoor kitchen. Smile

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
We are having a drought here in California, a little rain twice all year. You all have most likely heard about our wild fires this week. My nursing students were a little stressed as the flames were very close to where we were on Thursday. The hills looked like briquets in a barbeque and you would see palm trees popping into flame. took 1700 acres. Don't worry no where near Tahoe.I was just looking at the snow pictures at Tahoe dream home. so pretty.

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5616 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Stay safe, NJ!

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we're due for up to 14 inches tomorrow.

And...that's still not enough to stay in and watch spammer videos.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
14 inches of snow will be good for the skiers

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5616 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I was watching a story on T.V. about Truckee and the brown bears are showing up downtown because of the warmer climates and the lack of snow.

html

Posts: 2486 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
The bears aren't hibernating???

Is that behavior temperature/weather dependent?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
CA has a bit of a drought? Five inches two years ago, three inches last year, less than 1" so far this year in SoCal when Jan-Feb are the heaviest rain months. We're in the center of a horrible drought! Lake Mead, which supplies water is 1/3 normal. This is the case also with NoCAl lakes. When your food prices rise, remember the drought in California. We've already been warned about mandatory water rationing. It ain't fun! Send rain!

quote:
Originally posted by JSB:
They seem to be running a bit behind in snow accumulations in the mountains this year.

http://www.northstarcalifornia.../snowfall_201213.asp

Many are probably hoping the rest of the season will make up the difference - Cali has been running a bit of a drought.

And besides, it wouldn't be Our DH2014 without piles of snow accumulating on the outdoor kitchen. Smile

Posts: 19 | Location: Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Jan 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
We just had over a foot of snow, which is fairly unusual for us. And temps in the single digits.

Send you some of the snow and a cooling breeze if I could.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of water in lake Tahoe even though water is low down here in the south.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of chance-in-hell
posted Hide Post
Not really the lake level will drop considerably when there is no runoff this year. It is already dropping because of warm temps and evaporation.
The lake level could drop below the rim this summer.That impacts the local economy.
No snow in the Sierra means no water for a good part of California.
There is no way we can get enough before the dry season.
California is one of the top ranking economies in the world, when we're dry, you're going to feel it no matter where you live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yeah it's me chanceinhell, Member since Jan 03. I had to reregister because the overlords wouldn't let me in.
That's how I roll.

Posts: 45 | Location: Absurdestan | Registered: Dec 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Hibernating bears need water too. With cold weather they do sleep a lot, but still get out to drink or eat snow.
As the weather prematurely warms, they wake up both hungry and thirsty. Especially sows with nursing cubs. Look out for desperate bears!

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Yes we do need some rain here, lots of thirsty people and bears and many of us like to keep our lawns green.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of chance-in-hell
posted Hide Post
Snowing in the Sierra right this very minute, not much, but we'll take it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yeah it's me chanceinhell, Member since Jan 03. I had to reregister because the overlords wouldn't let me in.
That's how I roll.

Posts: 45 | Location: Absurdestan | Registered: Dec 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
keeping lawns green when facing a drought while living in an arid or desert state...pretty silly.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Keeping fields watered, and the crops growing that fill my local grocery with produce... very essential.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
My lawn stays pretty green because i planted Marathon sod, but I only water once a week late fall to when it gets hot in the spring and still looks good.

Rain would be best though as i like to plant tomatoes and peppers.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Still kitty
posted Hide Post
YES! We finally got some rain and the Sierra got snow! Hopefully we will get more tomorrow and our drought will end.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear that. Hopefully the drought has ended.

Love your new avatar.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the rain as well, but we still need some more. It was not a big rain. No more rain forecast for Southern ca. Hopefully some more up in the north where still kitty and the dream home are.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Still kitty
posted Hide Post
No,we still need a lot more too.That was just a drizzle. But it is raining a little today.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Rain is again predicted for Thursday, but our rains here as mentioned by Still Kitty have been very light.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥