Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Happened to the Past Dream Homes Sign In/Join 
posted
Maybe it's been posted already, but I found this an interesting article on several of the past Dream Homes: http://crackerjack23.blogspot.com/20...eam-homes.html

Posts: 204 | Location: Laguna Beach, CA | Registered: Jan 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of G.
posted Hide Post
I think the article gave the answer - most if not all the DH's were sold. Of course this year there is a "cash" prize in lieu of taking ownership of the home. Either way makes me smile!

http://crackerjack23.blogspot....gtv-dream-homes.html

Posts: 3868 | Location: PA | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I heard that someone tried rebuilding the Lake Lure house around our state. Let's just say....a twinge of green almost sprung out of me....I got over it with some projects we accomplished around here. I still think about where it might be.

Posts: 5155 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mythreesons
posted Hide Post
Thanks Johnpatrick,

Interesting article. The Green House in Denver sold and was for sale again.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Mar 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here is the 2010 dream home...looks like a decent buy.
http://www.sanpedrocreek-overl...dream-home-for-sale/

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the Info. interesting reading. Many of the facts were accurate, some were not. One quick example, the Cruz family form 2005 live in Illinois. can't believe everything you read.

Now the San Pedro Creek NM home will be a good deal for someone. it is a neat home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nursejudy,

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5616 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
It's nice to know that most of the DHs are lived in and loved.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I love all the dream homes, such creativity, beauty , and scenic. thank you HGTV and Jack and Linda.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5616 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dagonit. I was saving up money to buy the New Mexico Dream Home. Love that place. Someone beat me to it.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
That one is my fav, too.

Am *so* disappointed someone else is in MY house. Smile

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
At that price, I knew it would sell quickly. Sorry JSB someone else is living in your house. It is really pretty!

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Silly4Houses
posted Hide Post
Between Islamorada and NM, it looks like the actual cash value of the dream homes is probably in the $800,000s rather than the 1.4 million that the winners had to pay tax on for receiving the prize. This definitely makes the cash option look much more appealing.

~~~~Dream On!!!!~~~~

Posts: 398 | Location: Naples, FL | Registered: Dec 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The NM house was my favorite by far. It did take a while to sell and the market was pretty flat. I think most housing markets are starting to rebound a bit.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Between Islamorada and NM, it looks like the actual cash value of the dream homes is probably in the $800,000s rather than the 1.4 million that the winners had to pay tax on for receiving the prize. This definitely makes the cash option look much more appealing.

Except we really don't know what value the winners actually paid taxes on.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2014 income tax year 39.6% fed tax rate will play a bigger part in that decision.

Posts: 3159 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TangoW:
The 2014 income tax year 39.6% fed tax rate will play a bigger part in that decision.

That and the smaller cash award of $250,000 which barely begins to cover the taxes.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of JanniePearl
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. I wish it kept going, I'm wondering what became of DH2003, anyone know?
Thanks

>^..^<

Posts: 119 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: Jan 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JanniePearl
posted Hide Post
May have answered my own question:
http://www.movetomexicobeach.c...6720CF8C4C9F8.shtml#

quote:
Originally posted by JanniePearl:
Interesting article. I wish it kept going, I'm wondering what became of DH2003, anyone know?
Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JanniePearl,

>^..^<

Posts: 119 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: Jan 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post