Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follow the construction process Sign In/Join 
Picture of HGTVAdmin
posted
Follow the construction process of HGTV Dream Home 2014, a "new mountain" home being built in the Truckee, Calif., community of Schaffer’s Mill.

100 Construction Photos + More Weekly!

New Mountain Style: A 3-D Walkthrough

Plan Your Own Lake Tahoe Adventure

HGTV Admin

Posts: 1304 | Registered: Sep 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truckee, California
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donner Pass Road is here.
Coordinates: 39°20′32″N 120°12′13″W

The town's original name was Coburn Station, commemorating a saloon keeper.
Truckee was named after a Paiute chief. His assumed Paiute name was Tru-ki-zo. He was the father of Chief Winnemucca and grandfather of Sarah Winnemucca. The first Europeans who came to cross the Sierra Nevada encountered his tribe.
Truckee is located along Interstate 80 at 39°20′32″N 120°12′13″W (39.342163, -120.203568).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 33.7 square miles of which 32.3 square miles of it is land and 1.3 square miles of it (3.96%) is water, mostly the Truckee River, the only outlet of Lake Tahoe. The Truckee River just east of Truckee.

Due to high elevation, Truckee has a continental Mediterranean climate. The National Weather Service reports that Truckee's warmest month is July with an average maximum temperature of 82.7 °F (28.2 °C) and an average minimum temperature of 42.4 °F (5.8 °C). January is the coldest month with an average maximum temperature of 40.9 °F (4.9 °C) and an average minimum temperature of 16.3 °F. The record maximum temperature of 104 °F (40 °C) was on July 6, 2007. The record minimum temperature of -28 °F was on February 27, 1962. Annually, there are an average of 8.4 days with highs of 90 °F or higher; there are an average of 228.4 days with lows of 32 °F or lower and 6.0 days with lows of 0 °F or lower. Freezing temperatures have been observed in every month of the year!!!!! :>)

Normal annual precipitation in Truckee is 30.85 inches (784 mm); measurable precipitation (0.01 inch (0.25 mm) or more) occurs on an average of 87.0 days annually. The most precipitation in one month was 19.02 inches (483 mm) in February 1986. The most precipitation in 24 hours was 5.21 inches (132 mm) on February 1, 1963.

Truckee has an average of 204.4 inches of snow annually, which makes it the 5th snowiest city in the United States!!! The most snow in one month was 113.0 inches in December 1992. The maximum 24-hour snowfall was 34.0 inches on February 17, 1990.
Average high 40.9F
Average low 16.3F

The 2010 United States Census reported that Truckee had a population of 16,180. The population density was 480.8 people per square miles. The racial makeup of Truckee was 13,992 (86.5%) White, 60 (0.4%) African American, 95 (0.6%) Native American, 241 (1.5%) Asian, 15 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 1,431 (8.8%) from other races, and 346 (2.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3,016 persons (18.6%).

The same Census reported that 16,137 people (99.7% of the population) lived in households, 43 (0.3%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 6,343 households, out of which 2,135 (33.7%) had children under the age of 18 living in
The median age was 38.0 years. For every 100 females there were 108.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.3 males.
As of the census[10] of 2000, there were 13,864 people, 5,149 households.
There were 5,149 households out of which 37.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 18.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.09. The median age was 35 years.
The median income for a household in the town was $58,848, and the median income for a family was $62,746. Males had a median income of $38,631 versus $29,536 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,786. About 2.8% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.3% of those under age 18 and 2.0% of those age 65 or over. Recent land clearing outside town limits may affect the population.

Amtrak, the national passenger rail system, provides service to Truckee. The city's passenger rail
There is a free public bus, operated by neighboring Placer County, California; this connects the Truckee train station to the West Shore of Lake Tahoe, and a second goes to Incline Village, Nevada. There are also winter ski buses between Reno Airport and the ski areas near Truckee. Greyhound operates from the Amtrak rail station, going west to Sacramento and San Francisco, and east to Reno, Salt Lake City and Denver. There are also private bus companies from the San Francisco Bay Area which bring skiers up to Truckee for day trips.

Interstate 80 passes just to the north of central Truckee. Essentially, it follows the old emigrant wagon route. Crossing I-80 perpendicularly is CA-89, a north-south state highway, which for a portion forms the main road (Donner Pass Road) in Truckee. This is the highway to take for the West Shore of Lake Tahoe. Reno, Nevada is 31 miles away via I-80.

The airport is not serviced by any commercial airline at the present time. There are also glider tours operated from the airport.

Respectfully submitted, welcome to the real West.
TangoW

Posts: 3160 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
WOO HOO!!! We finally have a place to play Dreamhome 2014..... Cool

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7330 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the local history Tango...good way to get to know our dream.... Wink.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip o' the hat, Alice.
Don't ya just love th' thought that historically, freezing temps were recorded on every day of the year in Truckee? Long johns could freeze stiff on the line any day of the year.
Those ol' boys are hardy.
No challenge for my Studebaker. Purrs like a kitten in the coldest climes.
Looks like lots of fun ahead in planning the Dream.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TangoW,

Posts: 3160 | Location: FL | Registered: Jan 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Thank you HGTV and thanks for the neat information Tango. Dreaming begins

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5629 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Hi Nursejudy! Smile Tango....so with those climes what critters do we need to start preparing for?!?! Eek Abombidable Snowpeeps?

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
HI I'm back, had to leave quickly earlier to check in for Jury duty and we all got to leave after an hour. Nice way to start a weekend and get back here to dream.

The Truckee/Lake Tahoe area is just beautiful, many pine trees. You can find deer and of course bear. They even provided a metal/rock enclosure to protect your trash at the dreamhome. (to keep the bear out). That was a thoughtful addition.
It would be a lovely vacation spot to live. I am hoping to get to visit when the tours open. I'm so excited to have another home in California. I am ready to move in, looks like a beautiful home thus far.

Jack you did it again excellent location.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5629 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Many, many years ago, I spent a long ski week-end in Lake Tahoe. It is such a beautiful place!

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see more

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I can not wait until they show us more of the dream home . I just love to dream

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of mythreesons
posted Hide Post
Thanks HGTV and Tango! Excited for this Dream Home, as I am every year for one! Best contest ever! Happy Holidays to all and then Dream Home season after New Years, another great festivity!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Mar 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sendchocolate
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the address of the house yet so we can Google it?

Posts: 1090 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
I recall seeing somewhere (the developer's website??) that it was on lot 184 or 185. Right on the golf course.

Cool.

http://schaffersmill.com/community/homesites/

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Make that lot # 186 per the builder's website.

http://www.tchomes.info/current-projects/

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Looks right JSB

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
f am reading the videos correctly, it looks like the house may be sited at an angle to the road and to the golf course. With all those windows out front and to the back, I very much like that approach. Get the views and keep some privacy.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of Julia777
posted Hide Post
Wow looks so nice, can't wait for the contest to open so I can enter Big Grin

Dreaming

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am trying to find the HVAC Heating and Cooling information. Each year they are secretive, sponsor details.
Is the house heated with natural gas? Are the furnace and A/C high-efficiency units? Hello sponsors?
With 3000+ square feet of interior space that has numerous high, A-frame ceilings, just what would the heating bill typically be in January. One would likely keep a caustic eye on the thermostat setting in this climate.

GMC: The listed GMC prize total dollar figure is amazing. The Non-hybrid, GMC vehicle Prize with tax and license is over $80,000.
It is a remarkable Sweepstakes.

Picture of G.
posted Hide Post
I agree - It is a remarkable Sweepstakes.

Posts: 3868 | Location: PA | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post