Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No TV in the kitchen/living? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Salsastyle
posted
Ok....I know that there is a gorgeous media room upstairs, but that will be for the kids. I currently have a small tv in my kitchen(for watching HGTV of course) and a tv in the living area at the end of the kitchen for the hubby when he needs some sports. I hope my new home in Tahoe is wired for a TV over the fireplace and in the kitchen!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jan 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he will have to go to the media room or sit in the masterbedroom closet to watch that tv. Much like the lack of a hotub you would have to run lines for anywhere else

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of G.
posted Hide Post
I think a Living Room is considered a “formal” room so you don’t usually see TV there but – maybe replace the log-in-frame above the fireplace with a flat-screen TV. Above our fireplace we have electric-box and cable-box but we don’t use. HGTV home may not have this setup.
Or…
Add a small TV on the Kitchen counter. This would be nice I think.
Or…
A little tacky but - replace the “pictures” on the Dining room wall with a flat-screen TV.

Posts: 3868 | Location: PA | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Other possibilities:

Put a TV on the wall next to where cabinets stop (wrong side of the room???)

Replace the bench to the left of the fireplace with a a TV on cabinet.

TV watching in my house tends to be an "event" so having it upstairs really suits my lifestyle.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

We're goin' on a Bear Hunt.
We're going to catch a Big One
I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TV's near an active kitchen in an open concept floor plan don't work well in my experience.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
There are 7 TV's in this beautiful dreamhome, I think that is more than enough.

The children have 4 in the bunk room, Hubby can go around the corner to the nice one in the Master bedroom if he can't make it upstairs. But the one up stairs is 75" now that is worth walking up the stairs for.

It also just occurred to me, the Dream Home is wired with the service thatyou can also watch it on your ipad and the house also comes with one of those as well. Kitchen TV solved.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nursejudy,

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams

Posts: 5684 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salsastyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks NurseJudy! I forgot that I could watch on my Ipad. That is perfectSmile

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
I knew there had to be a solution

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Posts: 5684 | Location: Whittier, California | Registered: Mar 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salsastyle
posted Hide Post
I don't mind walking up stairs - but I spend most of my days in the kitchen so I like having the TV in there. I would put a tv over the fireplace in the living room, even if it is supposed to be formal, because I like the flow of that room and would be in there a lot, but I would put a cover over it so that when it is closed it looks like art!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
That would work well.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of Still kitty
posted Hide Post
Yes, the living room-dinning room and kitchen have a good open flow to it, so I would also put a TV in the living room and a small one in the kitchen . My large family all live in Northern California, and this would be the place for Christmas gathering and Super bowl parties!

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salsastyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks for agreeing Still KittySmile We all congregate in the kitchen/living room when we are together and I need TV's in both areas - even if it is open. It works for our family too!

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Why not go for 3:

One in the LR, a small, maybe under counter, one in the kitchen & one "hiding" behind the picture int he dining room. That way, each can be tuned to a different football game and all the Dreamers will be happy.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Posts: 1039 | Location: New Joisey | Registered: Mar 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My computer becomes my tv where there isn't one. DH came home one day and asked about it, I said....I had to make sure things weren't burning on the stove, how else was I to get cooking and watching done? lol

Just saw the HGTV video where the tv will pop up from the counter. My concern...and it can be addressed....can you imagine the spills going down where the tv is stored? The other pop ups...made sense. NOT the tv. I know my hub's cooking style. What's the name of the modern artist that splatter paints on the canvas? DH does it with sauces somehow. ????

I think there IS a tv in the living room. Why do they have the blackout blinds for the windows?

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
They didn't show a TV in the special, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one there.

Do you mean Jackson Pollack (sp?)

I was thinking of a little tv that folds up under an upper cabinet when not in use. Safe from all the "Artistes"; the ones who work in paint & the ones who work in food...

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Jackson Pollack's the one, thanks JSB.

I remember when TV's would "drop" down from an upper cabinet. Yes, this makes more sense to me. Otherwise, just how many of those screen protectors would one need to cover the tv screen with a "Jackson Pollack" chef husband?

It's ok....he knows I tell people that he's the one who prepared this dish or that. I just don't go into the detail what our kitchen looks like afterwards. lol

Hmmmmmmmm.....can this be another one of those Mum's the word?

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Trish,

I remember that your hub is a chef... my dd has caught the cooking bug, but good. She'll be studying culinary in college next year, has been accepted by all 3 schools she applied to, waiting to hear about scholarship ** from her fav, Johnson & Wales.

Wondering where your hub got his training?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
Yep Pollack is the great spatter painter.

I have an open concept family kitchen, so i can look right over the counter at my TV, but do not cook and watch to often, so the dream home kitchen would work for me. My Hubby is a great cook as well and an artist. (the illustrator type),

JSB, my DD's boyfriend went to Cor Don Blu (sp)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nursejudy,

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
Le Cordon Bleu is a great place to learn French cooking.

It was not one of my DDs top picks, as she is not a huge fan of French cooking, plus she feels the need to have a 4 year degree so she'll be able take more business classes. Her ultimate goal is to own & run a restaurant or 2, but since there are zero people in my family who have run a business, she could use all the help she can get. Smile

It's amazing how many people earn their living via culinary arts.

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

posted Hide Post
I'm just curious if the people complaining about no TV in the kitchen are on the other boards complaining that there is nothing worthwhile watching?

And...wanted this bumped.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
The bunk room has 4 TVs - that seems a bit much. Why not just move one down to the 1st floor.

*Unless* those TVs are attached to Playstations!

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!

Picture of nursejudy
posted Hide Post
You could move one of the play stations as well. still plenty of TV's left in the bunk room

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥

posted Hide Post
I think I would put the art over the fireplace on rails with the tv recessed behind it. Slide the art over for TV viewing. If not that then maybe on the kitchen wall where that pail of sticks and candles are on top of the stove? could be a cool place and view-able if eating breakfast at the island. I like to watch news snippets at breakfast.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skimferella,

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jan 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nursejudy:
You could move one of the play stations as well. still plenty of TV's left in the bunk room

Yesh, why let the kids have all the fun?

............ (")
................ (")

................ (")
............ (")

I'm not afraid!