Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Design on a Dime
  basement flooring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

basement flooring Sign In/Join 
posted
I want to redo my basement flooring. I have the old 9x9 tiles that has asbestos in it. I want to just cover it, but have seen so many different things. I want to do the cheapest but most efficient way of covering the tile. I have seen that you can paint it or cover it with laminate flooring. I also do not want to put wood down because of moisture. Can you help?????!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cover it with vinyl tiles. Not VCT, not linoleum, but vinyl tiles. They are relatively inexpensive and are now made without the high gloss, and can even be grouted. Hope this helps./

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks - but what do I do before the tiles, I have some missing tiles and some cracked - is there a certain product that is better to use to level it all. I have seen many different things.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home improvement stores have a material called underlayment. It is about 3/16" and is a very thin version of plywood. As for the missing tiles, find something to just fill in the spaces before putting down the underlayment. Home Depot has it for about $10 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a leveling compund. Available everywhere. Mix with water. Pour it on. It levels itself.

Posts: 7046 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of diyimprover
posted Hide Post
Hi, I've read other readers suggestions, but I am concerned because you're initial post said you had moisture in your basement. Just leveling your floor is not going to be your best route. A moist floor at a minimum needs to breath so you don't get mold. I would suggest that you get the raised subfloor panels that have plastic grooves on the bottom and subflooring on the top. It will be spendy, but your basement flooring choice will last for years - after all, you don't want to be redoing this project over and over. Once you have this "breathing" base for your flooring, you can have anything in your basement you would like, including carpet! Good luck!

Posts: 3 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Aug 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes water can leak up through the basement floor " but first is there any chance the carpet is on top a old floor drain it may be backing up .. if that's not you may have a crack in the floor it's Pushing up through ,,the biggest problem with older homes is that the ground settles at the foundation causing the water to run towards the wall instead of away from it and if that happens you get water coming up through the floor..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LagimeBolso,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asbestos is dangerous to your health my friend. Get it completely removed so you don't have any nasty trips to hospital!!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sell luxury vinyl plank flooring. It looks like wood, but its waterproof vinyl. We have it in glue down and a click-lock. See them here:
http://weshipfloors.com/flooring-type/vinyl-flooring

This would be PERFECT for any location that could possibly get wet.

Alan

Posts: 3 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Oct 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EazyE:
Asbestos is dangerous to your health my friend. Get it completely removed so you don't have any nasty trips to hospital!!

There is no need to remove asbestos tiles. They can be safely encapsulated under new tiles. If they are not breaking apart the asbestos in them is not released into the air. Do not scrape, sand or grind the tiles as that will release the asbestos from the tile. Asbestos can be a danger, but asbestos floor tile is probably the most benign form of it in your home.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6946 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sparky, we can't expect a spammer to pay any attention to the accuracy of what they post. After all they are concentrating on advertising.

Posts: 7046 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post