Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Design on a Dime
  Cheap ways to finish basement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap ways to finish basement Sign In/Join 
posted
I own a condo with a 15x18 basement space that is a blank slate. I'm looking for idea on how to make it into a usable craft room without spending a lot of money. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by blank slate? Concrete block, concrete floor, stud walls, unfinished ceiling, electrical outlets/lights?

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Smile it's drywalled with a concrete floor, the ceiling is unfinished though. I just refinished the entire condo so my goal is just to have a cozy space for crafting and working out.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It can depend on just how inexpensive you want to go? I would probably address lighting first, if you want ceiling fixtures. Floor lamps near the wall can also work, and be versatile for other uses later. Task lighting and overall space lighting can make the area much nicer to spend time in.

I once had a basement art studio in a building with unfinished ceilings. I did a ceiling really cheaply, by hanging florescent task lights where needed, and stapling used white sheets to the rafters over all the open areas. (We are definitely talking cheap here)lol. But the sheets covered the open rafters, and reflected the light back into the space quite well.
Drywall or suspended ceilings would be best of course, but more costly.

For flooring, especially in a workout space, those puzzle piece, foam flooring pieces could be great. Warmer and cushy under foot, and can be reused or sold later on. Sam's club sells them by the package, as well as many of the home stores.

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Drywall would be the least expensive permanent ceiling you could install. It does make access more difficult in a basement if you need to add wiring or fix plumbing later, but if it has a smooth surface can be easily fixed by someone with decent DIY skills. If you have a valve that needs access you can cut a hole in the ceiling at the valve and install a heat vent directly below it to allow access. There are also access panels available for sale that can be painted to match the ceiling.

A drop ceiling would be more expensive and look more commercial but for that amount of space could probably be done for less than a grand. Go with 2'x2' tiles, uses more grid but looks much better than 2x4 tiles.

Another option is to paint the ceiling joists and underside of the floor out. Rent a professional paint sprayer or hire it out. You just spray everything, most I've seen have either been a flat black or flat white.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6947 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheap ways to finish basement

Ingenuity is the best avenue to take when wanting to remodel a basement with minimal expense. Being creative and open-minded to alternative ceiling and wall covers allow for a unique and versatile living environment to be created. Traditional and nontraditional items and applications are used to turn a basement into a usable room.,.

-- Aljur Abby
Blue Hand Home

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an article on rustic hardwood flooring, which is apparently one of the cheaper ways to get flooring:
http://homerenovations.about.c...ardwood-Flooring.htm

Hope that helps Smile.

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post