Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Design on a Dime
  Knotty Pine Walls Flooring Ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knotty Pine Walls Flooring Ideas Sign In/Join 
posted
Don't know if this is the right forum -

So we bought a neo-colonial built in 1930 that has a 1960's family room addition on the back with dark honey colored knotty pine walls. They are tacky but surprisingly calming - I can see why ppl went that way back in the day. Anyway, the floors are very light beige carpet now and since we have a golden and two young ones, we want to do hard flooring. Don't want to do another shade of wood laminate or wood flooring for fear of living in a perpetual lake cottage or cabin-in-the-woods, but looking for other ideas. Slate? Other stone or tile flooring? And I do not want to rehabilitate the knotty pine walls - like I said, they're growing on me. Any ideas?

Addicted

Posts: 1 | Location: Galesburg, IL | Registered: Sep 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I've had quite a chuckle lately. Many of us have learned how to "tune out" commercials. Don't ask which one it is...couldn't tell you...BUT, the couple is installing Wall paneling. I laughed when I saw the image since....many people have been trying to remove it all this time. I think there's a new swing to bring a lot of the past back: paneling, wallpaper, etc.

It's been said...wait awhile and styles return. This is also being noticed in clothing styles.

So....pretty sure some designer(s) will have some excellent ideas for you. OK...the challenge is on for the designers to come out of the "woodwork". Couldn't help myself.
Smile

Best wishes, Trev.

Posts: 5237 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the commercial design rated vinyl flooring at a regular "flooring store"?

They have thicker on the roll flooring that has lifetime guarantee, overall patterns (no grids) that are great at hiding/not showing dust, dog hair, tracked foot prints, etc. Comes in all types of surface patterns too, including stone. Usually can go with no seams, but can be seamed and no visible line.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say, these would look best which are Mesa Stone flooring in Beige: http://www.armstrong.com/floor...ryVinyl_Mesa%20Stone

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently purchased a D type log home. For those who don't know, this is a log home made with D shaped logs, with the curved edge on the outside and the flat edge on the inside. So, all of the exterior walls on the inside of the house are the logs themselves and finished to horizontal honey-colored knotty pine. The interior walls are drywall, but the ceilings are also knotty pine, as is all of the trim.

That all being said, after a lot of thought, we are going with either a hickory or mahogany in a dark reddish brown to pick up the knots in the pine and create contrast. I live in a wooded lake area and a lot of my neighbors also have the knotty pine. They usually pair it with a light oak on the floor. To my eye, it feels like being in a cardboard box. It really does need a contrast.
Kay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenKay,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out retrorenovation.com Lots of great ideas for vintage decorating with knotty pine.
Have fun, I still miss my kp dining room in my old house.

Posts: 1993 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your dog will probably scratch your hardwood floors, so be prepared! There's a down side to everything. Even so, I never regretted getting rid of my carpets and refinishing my oak floors. My two big dogs both died after long happy lives and I do find that the "damage" they seemed to have done to the floors somehow "repaired" itself. Maybe the finish is now more even??? I used to despair because the entrance to my kitchen seemed to be duller than the rest of the floor due to high doggy traffic. I don't see it anymore. Maybe over the years, the doggy dirt has gone away????

Posts: 3514 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of janestratus
posted Hide Post
Engineered hardwood floor would be a great idea. They are less expensive than solid hardwood flooring but provide the same look and feel to the room. Moreover, they are more adorable, durable and hold up better to moisture. Visit the following website for more information: https://plus.google.com/106323115684925403520

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post